HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:24 PM
I meant for it to do that
Vegas Baby
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Discussion
Power system for Hangar 9 Sundowner 50

Ok all. I don't know if I am in the right place, but I am looking to put a hot Brushless setup in the Hangar 9 Sundowner 50. I don,t think the recomended power system (E-Flite Power 46) will make this fast enough to keep me happy. 61" span and @ 7lbs AUW according to the instructions. If possible with this being such a clean airframe, I'd like to see one teens to one twenty or so for top end. Any input helps. Thanks
RB51 fan is offline Find More Posts by RB51 fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:13 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,412 Posts
Check out All E RC @http://www.allerc.com/

The Hyperion line of motors are very good as I have several of the "30" series. I have converted a Sig Kougar to electric and will use a "40 " series low turn for high speed.
The Hyperion line offers many choices to choose from and also includes specs on each motor. I now have most of their larger motors listed in my E calc program. Great quality and price with lots of accesories and ESC's. I also bought one of the 50 amp esc with switch mode BEC built in. Very nice. The ESC's are a little clumsy to program with a radio, but get their new E-Meter and it includes ESC programing capability.
Keep posting your conversion. Cheers, jollyroger
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
I do agree with you on the Power 46 not being enough to power that plane for fast speeds but since you already have it, well I assume you already have it, why not boost it using a 6s set up. There is a guy who did this and supposedly his is going about 130mph. There is a video of it on YouTube if you just type in Sundowner 50 you will get a chance to see it. I don't know if it really is going 130mph but just watching the video that would be a great speed to start with. It sounds ballistic and in the video there is a guy using a radar gun on it. I'm starting mine out with a Power 60 since I already have that motor but don't have a Castle Creations 85HV or 110HV so I'll have to try it out on 5s with my CC80 just to see what it does. The other motors I'm considering, also since I already have them are the Hyperion 3025-10 and Mega 41/30/10 (Kind of a bid outrunner but might work with the right battery set up), Mega 22/20/3, Mega 22/30/4 and Mega 22/45/3E. These are the biggest motors I have right now since I'm coming out of the smaller fast flying electric birds. The Sundowner 50 is my biggest electric bird aside from the Multiplex Acro Master and Hyperion Sniper XL. Let me know what you end up doing and I'll do the same if any of these are in the 120mph+ catagory.

Jim
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Apr 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,294 Posts
Were you all ever able to speed up your Sundowner 50s? I just got one that came with a Power 46 and plan on upgrading after the first few flights and would really like to see this airframe over 100mph.

@jimweda~ How fast were you doing with the Power 60 setup?

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would ask...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop