HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:05 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Question
Aiptek A-HD 720P for FPV?

Has anyone tried the Aiptek A-HD 720P hi-def camera for FPV? Not sure if it does realtime video out, or just playback out.

$150 is pretty attractive. Could be interesting to record onboard and use the AV out for the video Tx.
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:11 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
I haven't tried one yet but I am ordering one. It has video in recording to SD. It's worth the $150 for that alone. Let alone being a HD solid state camcorder.
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:17 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
From what I've heard (in many threads here), the A-HD will immediately stop
recording if the video signal is ever lost. With FPV that happens all the time.
Sometimes only a few frames of noise, but that's enough to confuse it.

Get the MPVR+CB instead. Can be had for $100-130 takes up to 4GB card
and records high quality video at up to 720x480@30fps at variable bitrate
from 3500-5000Kbps.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
Heli addict
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
It will stop recording if there will be static/noisy video signal.
I'm using this one:
http://www.target.com/Aiptek-Digital...Aaiptek&page=1
vladz is offline Find More Posts by vladz
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:23 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
The recording "stop on drop-out" is good to know. I was actually thinking about putting this on the plane, and using it's camera to AV out to the Tx. Wasn't sure if it can AV out in realtime, or just for playback.

Does anyone currently have this camera to do a test? The specs don't mention this scenario. I know my Sony MiniDV can do this, but that one's way to heavy to go onboard.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:00 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladz
It will stop recording if there will be static/noisy video signal.
I'm using this one:
http://www.target.com/Aiptek-Digital...Aaiptek&page=1
I have that one also, well the MPVR (no plus) but it's basically the same.

Since I have a 4-way video distributor at the ground station, I did a flight test comparing that cam to my Sony MiniDV. There is a noticable difference in quality, but expected as that cam uses a pretty high compression method. One 'nice' affect of that encoding though is it autocontrasts/levels, making the video a little brighter. However you could do the same on the DV side post editing.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
Flying like a bird ...
France, city of champagne
Joined Jan 2008
9 Posts
I'm interesting to use the Aiptek A-HD 720P HD camera for FPV as well.
Somenoe knows if it does realtime video out while recording ??? Someone could make this simply test: Put the camera in recording and connect to a TV the video out and see if it works !! and if possible see if there is some delays between pictures on TV and the reality.
Thank you for your help ....

My goal is to record onboard and use the AV out for the video Tx.

I really need this information before to order one....

Somebody have some FPV experiences with this cam ?

Thank you
Xte51 is offline Find More Posts by Xte51
Last edited by Xte51; Feb 23, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:02 AM
Huntington, WV, USA
Joined Feb 2005
92 Posts
Mine Does

Mine outputs during record just fine. To use it on the ground with a unstable signal causes the recording to stop. I got real good recordings on the 3 flights I tried with it. I did 2 in the DVD mode and 1 in the HD mode, more later when the weather gets better. I had kind of a strange setup in that I installed the camera upside down on the bottom of my Simple Stick with the cam body up inside the fuse and the base of the cam against the bottom of the wing. I was able to build a offset that would let me set the camera angle to the ground to not catch the prop or just a little of it, etc. The recording turns out upside down, I flip things in post production of the vids. It all worked pritty well. I have a 4 Gig SD card so it holds 2 to 4 hours of video before I need to offload to a computer. The camera's seem have at least 2 software rev's and the main difference seems to be the sound gain and 2x digital zoom on the old rev and lower (better) sound and 4x digital zoom on the new software rev. I haven't ran the battery down yet, I have a Cig Adapter that has a USB charger on it so I can recharge after flights.
I am including a couple of snaps of the HD (1280x720) video during playback. (Untouched as much as I could (RC Groups would take the upload (prob because of the res)))

DDwaneR is offline Find More Posts by DDwaneR
Last edited by DDwaneR; Feb 29, 2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: RC Groups didn't/wouldn't take the pics!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 07:17 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Dwayne does that camera have regular video out or only HD component as the manufacturer website implies?
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:36 PM
Huntington, WV, USA
Joined Feb 2005
92 Posts
My Unit (prob the NEW software ver)

My unit has both and it came with 2 cable sets for both HD (RGB) and composite (NOTE: NOT SVID) and L/R audio. I have NOT tried the HD output on anything yet but I have Inputted and outputted from the comp jack, the same jack (comp) also can be used to output to headphones. When you plug into the cam a screen will pop up asking what will be on the (comp) jack.
I used the cam to make a backup of the recordings I made on a VCR at the field when I transmitted from the aircraft to the ground on 2.4ghz. The camera kicked out of the record mode almost on each dropout. When I originally sampled the vid from the VCR the Firewire sampler (Hollywood), it also terminated the recording on EACH sync dropout. I have been doing video for a long time so I used one of the frame syncronizers I have in my Amiga for my Video Toaster, Both the Hollywood and the A-HD recorded the entire recording without problems with SUPER stable TBC sync.
Another thing to note is that the audio on the recording on the A-HD is stereo but their is only 1 mic on the top of the cam so all the field recordings from the top mic is the same mono audio on both tracks. To input video signal on the comp jack with good STEREO audio, the unit records clean stereo on the A-HD h264.mov file. Using the DVD setting to make the comp recording generates a file of about 1 gig per hour @ 720x480. You may get a DL test file from my site of a raw file sample MOV recorded with the comp in with stereo audio. Its about 8meg.
http://rcflyerscu.homeip.net:8081/Re...c_Aud_test.mov
Last edited by DDwaneR; Feb 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:24 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
If you're really getting an hour per gig, then that's lower bitrate
compression than the MPVR+CB which also will record 720x480@30fps,
and does *not* quit recording on video dropouts. It runs about 40-45
minutes per gig, and will take a 4 Gig SD card. I still think the MPVR+CB is the
best value in PVRs.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:44 PM
Huntington, WV, USA
Joined Feb 2005
92 Posts
I can record a h264 video at 720x480 at 200k but the picture may not be very watchable, 8000k may look fine but eat up all the data space. The A-HD spec's say that it will take a 8 Gig SD card but I have only TRIED a 4Gig. If you want another unit then go get it, the A-HD records fine in my airplane from its internal cam and will output a picture to me on the ground during the flight (works for me!).
The User complaints on the camera you sugguest indicate a audio/video sync problem when image stabilization is used up to 1/2 second. It records MPEG4, not h264, h264 seems to be a better picture at lower bit rates, its what I have been using for a while now. I start it recording in the airplane and I have a complete recording (and if I want HD 1280x720, it there) of the flight from the airplane when I land. The HD mode takes about 2 gig per hour, by the way...
Last edited by DDwaneR; Mar 06, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
I think you missed my point about bitrate, but I'm done with it.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:41 PM
Huntington, WV, USA
Joined Feb 2005
92 Posts
The theory behind h264 over standard mpeg4 is that even at lower bit rates, its better. H264 seems smooth to me and mpeg4 is pixilated almost always during black fade up and fade down. I bought the MPEG4 option for my VS8 when it first came out and was NOT happy with the vids so I stopped using it.
There are a lot of camera's out there, I have had my eye on the A-HD for a while and wouldn't buy it at $235 because I couldn't find where it had a live comp output. The new A-HD at $100 dollars less WITH a comp output is what I needed to do good recording from the airplne and the HD is a real good Plus...
It may be time to invest in a set of video glasses, I find I want more and more, fly from the cockpit and go further out and higher up. Transmitter is ready and I still need to make a patch antenna for the reciever, also the new vid plane is about 1/2 ready and it will have pivot so the camera can look up and down during flight. The airplane is designed MID engine electric.
Takes some time to get all them Ducks quack N in a row.....
I may grad from this....
Last edited by DDwaneR; Feb 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 02:13 AM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Ohhh... Thanks for the feedback DDwaneR! That's the answer I was looking for (recording onboard and video output simultaneously). Couple questions:

- How does the video output quality look? Comparable to the other common FPV cameras (kx-131, kx-151, etc.)?

- Do you get 'waves' in onboard recording when vibrations are present that I've seen common in Aipteks (and CMOS sensors)?