HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:41 PM
I-16Mosca
Joined Sep 2007
47 Posts
Discussion
LiPo balance connector

I have bought a 3-cell 11.1 V Kokham Lipo and I am planning to use it for my Walkera 52. However I have noticed a problem in that the 3-cell balance connector doesn't fit the Walkera charger, or the standard Esky orange chagrer. The Kokham connector is thinner, similar width but the only way it would go into the charger is with the polarity reversed i.e. red goes on black and blasck on red. Now I need to find an appropriate connector and solder it to the battery. What is the right connector to get?
I-16Mosca is offline Find More Posts by I-16Mosca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2008, 07:55 PM
Geek
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
104 Posts
If you search for adapters on ebay or on the esky site you might find a good one that'll do the switching for you.
I don't like to cut and solder myself, i look for pre-made adapters.
chewbacchi is offline Find More Posts by chewbacchi
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:49 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,062 Posts
Can you post a picture of the balance connector on your Kokam lipo?
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:30 PM
Geek
Joined Nov 2005
104 Posts
If others are reading this thread I might as well post my own dilemma.

I am looking to find an adapter for a MegaPower battery to a CellPro 4S charger. I've been told, and have read the specs, that MegaPower uses an Align balance/charge connector.

Any suggestions if this'll fit the charger, if not what will?

Anybody have a chart of battery connectors and charge leads and which ones will fit using which adapters???

Might be a long shot.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacchi
If others are reading this thread I might as well post my own dilemma.

I am looking to find an adapter for a MegaPower battery to a CellPro 4S charger. I've been told, and have read the specs, that MegaPower uses an Align balance/charge connector.

Any suggestions if this'll fit the charger, if not what will?

Anybody have a chart of battery connectors and charge leads and which ones will fit using which adapters???

Might be a long shot.
Hi

Regards the adapter you need the CP-GP adapter FMA sells

Regards batteries with what tap thats listed here

http://www.rcaccessory.com/pdf/Batte...on%20Guide.pdf

Hope this helps

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:17 PM
Geek
Joined Nov 2005
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-16Mosca
I have bought a 3-cell 11.1 V Kokham Lipo and I am planning to use it for my Walkera 52. However I have noticed a problem in that the 3-cell balance connector doesn't fit the Walkera charger, or the standard Esky orange chagrer. The Kokham connector is thinner, similar width but the only way it would go into the charger is with the polarity reversed i.e. red goes on black and blasck on red. Now I need to find an appropriate connector and solder it to the battery. What is the right connector to get?

I-16Mosca-
refer to the above link to view the appropriate adapter you would need. No soldering required, I think.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-16Mosca

Hi

This tap would fit the Esky charger

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=270

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Jan 19, 2008, 02:55 PM
I-16Mosca
Joined Sep 2007
47 Posts
Hi all

In the end I bought the connector described by Gary, which incidentally I found it is called a JST-XH balance tap, cut off the kokam one and replaced by the new one. This is how I did it:

Started with the black wire. Cut and pealed that, connected to the black wire of the new tap and covered with heat shrink tubing. Then I did the same to all the other wires, one at a time, till the job was finished.

Then I took a volt-meter, put the negative probe on the black pin and the positive on the other three pins one at a time, to confirm potential differentials of about 3.7, 7.4 and 11.1 V, as with the other batteries I have.

I then plugged the tap into the Walkera charger confirming that + and - in the charge corresponded to the red and black wires leading to the tap.

I then charged normally. No problems. The Walkera 52 with stock motor seems to fly a fair bit longer, and more stable, with this Kokam battery!

Total time spent = 10 minutes. I guess no more problems with battery connectors from now on.

Thanks to all for kind advice

Jordi
I-16Mosca is offline Find More Posts by I-16Mosca
Last edited by I-16Mosca; Jan 19, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:33 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,923 Posts
Balancer tap diagrams:
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
brushless motor building tips & tricks
diy brushless motor discussion group
Drive Calculator download & discussion group
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Ron, again you are very useful to me, that's exactely what I was looking for. Fellow Dutchie FTW!

Wish me luck, tomorrow I'll home-brew my first 2S and 3S balanced lipo packs.. Better charge outside
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:57 AM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Dec 2002
350 Posts
where can I get these JST XH adapters?
norbique is offline Find More Posts by norbique
Old Nov 03, 2008, 02:36 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...ECTOR_263.html

Norbique, I bought mine here. They are ok, especially for the price (10 for 5 dollar)
Wires are about 5" long.
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly