Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Cuddles, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:01 AM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Discussion
3,7g Palm-Z Tadpole

This is my latest effort in the LRF field.
Here are some specs:
25 cm wingspan
20 cm lenght
mosfet mod
Picco-Z tailprop and motor
3mm i.d. coil
Construction material is 1mm hotwired depron, 3mm depron for the fuselage, a 15cm piece of 0,8mm carbon pultruded rod and a small lenght of carbon capstrip.

It can fly in a very small room!
I'll post plans soon.
Cuddles is offline Find More Posts by Cuddles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
Malta
Joined Dec 2007
4 Posts
3,7g Palm-Z Tadpole

how does it turn with one motor?
hannustar is offline Find More Posts by hannustar
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:04 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannustar
how does it turn with one motor?
actuator for rudder check out the pix
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
just beautiful.... Ive been looking for something like that, Tried to build my own several times without much luck.
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:26 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Are these made from styrophome plates? I have a couple of little cars i wondered if they couel be converted to a plane. it has a coil magnet for steering then the single direct drive motor.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:41 AM
I'm a Hitec Fanboy
Ottawa, ON
Joined Jan 2005
78 Posts
I have build a 10g, plane with balsa / foam, and tried to install the Palm Z hardware. The only problem was the rudder kinda got sticky, so while I was fiddling with it, I must have shorted out the coil as the rudder stopped working entirely. So I'll use the opportunity to improve the actuator. As I see a smaller diameter coil may be more powerful (which I will need for my model) I would like to know the details of your actuator mod if you would be willing:

1. diameter wire? Magnet and magnet orientation?

2. Did you use two wires wrapped together in a coil (like in the original Palm Z actuator) with a single double stranded lead to the Rx, or one wire, with an incoming and outgoing leads to the Rx.

Thanks...and keep up the good work!
marcfern is offline Find More Posts by marcfern
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:39 AM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Hi marcfern,
Thank you for compliments
A 10g airframe is wayyy too heavy for Palm-Z hardware, my tadpole airframe weights one gram indeed.
And, yes, Palm-Z actuator is cr@p but it will teach you to treat actuators with the due respect...
I don't know what diameter is my wire, i've just looked for the thinnest i could find: mine was found in one of these cheap big wall clocks.
My actuator is just like the Palm-Z one, it's just 3mm i.d. instead of 4mm or so.
The magnet is a little gem and you get two of them, treat those things like diamonds!
If you are not familiar with actuators, i suggest you to read (and print too) "Inside Story":http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...04&postcount=2

Best regards

Francesco
Cuddles is offline Find More Posts by Cuddles
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm a Hitec Fanboy
Ottawa, ON
Joined Jan 2005
78 Posts
Thanks Francesco
marcfern is offline Find More Posts by marcfern