SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Diggs, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:15 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Discussion
Where did that year go?

So it is been more than a year since I posted here last. Just a few changes since then I really gave the helis a go, but the stress and the repairs just didn't suit my style. I was actually close to ditching the entire RC hobby when Red Herring suggested I fly a plane to help with orientation. Well, I had no desire to fly a plane, but I started practicing on my sim at the time Phoenix.

A week or so later I have a pair of GWS Slow Sticks ready to fly. I had no clue what I was doing then, and some will argue that I still don't My father and I spent a Saturday building them and fighting the very poorly translated instructions. Victory was ours many hours later and we had one Tan and one Yellow SS ready. Sunday we go to the field (at the time a subdivision under construction) and give it a go. We both crashed and burned after just a few moments of flight. Back to the house, ordered up some new props and discovered the SS thread. Ordered some prop savers and went for it again about a week later.

My father has still yet to fly I think his vision prevents him from being able too, but I am still hopeful. I was able to fly that next trip, however landing was a different story. I didn't know about how prop size affected current draw or any of that and paid the price. Finally went brushless and also added a Parkzone Typhoon to my fleet. Came home after about the 3rd or 4th trip to the field and realized I didn't need to do ANY repairs. Well, not with the planes. Each trip still yielded heli disasters and tedious follow up repairs.

I also realized that my lack of desire to fly a plane had changed! I was now looking at all sorts of designs and having been to SEFF 07, had seen what planes could do when flown by a skilled pilot. So I was done, months later I have a hanger FULL of planes. Some built, some still in boxes. I have large trainers, small wings, foamys, balsa and fiberglass planes. It is pretty insane the wide range of stuff I fly. Still fly the old SS and even fly at night.

So here I am a little over a year after buying that Picco Z and finding RC Groups. RC Groups was the nail in the coffin. After I found this awesome resource full of great people that love to help, it was finished. I am a full fledged RC geek now. I still own some helis, but they are collecting dust and waiting for my return. I shall return one day! In the meantime, my fixed wing addiction is serving me well. I was also invited to be a host on the All Things that Fly Podcast

I don't know how to link to existing photos I posted in another thread, and I also don't want to upload all these pics once again. SO, I will simple link to the other post to show off some of my current and past planes and helis.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=895

There are many more waiting to be built or photographed. I will try to be a bit more diligent in updating my blog in the future with build and such. My current build is a Lanier Shrike .10, which will likely be my first glow plane! IF I don't talk myself out of it and toss an electric motor in there first

Thanks RCG and all the people that make it great. Also want to thank Red Herring for all the help he has given me over the last year. Without his advice, I think I would be back to PC games or something. Also thanks to GFBurke and JustPlaneChris for inviting me along at www.allthingsthatfly.com. I really enjoy hosting the show, and I get to learn a lot from both of them while doing so.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
Custom User Title
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2007
269 Posts
Hey Diggs. Where do you fly around Raleigh? Myself and a couple other guys fly most weekends at Dix, or at the WRAL Soccer Center fof Capital in N. Raleigh. We should try to meet up sometime.
Anders0n is offline Find More Posts by Anders0n
Old Jan 19, 2008, 05:20 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders0n
Hey Diggs. Where do you fly around Raleigh? Myself and a couple other guys fly most weekends at Dix, or at the WRAL Soccer Center fof Capital in N. Raleigh. We should try to meet up sometime.
Yo man, I fly at the SWAMPS field in Duncan. It is just South of Fuquay. However, I am always down to fly anywhere. Shoot me an email or PM and we can arrange some battery discharge

919-779-4450 gets me or my machine. I will return any and all RC related calls. You bill collectors can bite me

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:40 PM
switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
19 Posts
hey diggs! hope all's going great! LOVE ATTF!!

check my latest design. it ROCKS!!

best urs from switzerland

Promotion Video "ROSTER 3D" (1 min 24 sec)
fastpeak is offline Find More Posts by fastpeak
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
what kind of plane is that sho off! posted on rc groups at seff
neil_s is offline Find More Posts by neil_s