HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
New Product
Graupner Micro Magic Racing Model

Hi All,

Looks like I'll be a dealer for Micro Magics soon, great little boat for the money, approx $215, $395 built up.

Will post when they are in stock,

Todd

www.isobaryachts.com

todd@isobaryachts.com
isobaryachts is offline Find More Posts by isobaryachts
Last edited by isobaryachts; May 22, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
Some pics to whet the appetite...

The Specs

Its quality, both in component materials and performance, stands well above similar sized yacht models, all of which must make this little yacht about the best fun for your money in the sailing world!

It has virtually all the tuning, trimming and performance of larger, and significantly more exspensive, 1 metre models, but its size makes it a perfect trunk-fit for spontaneous afternoon trips to the sailing club or local pond.

The kit is easy to build without special tools and designed for a standard 2-channel stick radio with regular servos, perfectly balancing investment and performance. The Micro Magic is modelled on trans-Atlantic sailing yachts such as those sailed in single-handed global circumnavigation races.

The appearance is generally scale, although the model's design is optimized for neutral sailing characteristics as a model rather than a faithful scale copy.

The basic specs of the model are as follows:
length: 530mm
sail area: 1450cm²
beam: 180mm
height: 980mm
weight: approx. 980g
ballast: approx. 350g

The model can be assembled from the kit quickly and with minimal tools.
All the vacuum-moulded ABS parts are supplied CNC-trimmed to final size.

The sails in the kit are ready-made and sewn in ultra-light, true sail fabric, in red, blue and fluorescent yellow. However many people prefer to make their own sails which can be very rewarding.

The removable keel consists of a profiled fiberglass- reinforced fin and low-set lead ballast bulb.
The keel and lightweight carbon mast fit in a strong keel/mast trunk integrated into the hull.

Moulded-in recesses in the hull and deck shell dictate the correct position of the socket, so everything aligns perfectly right out of the box.
The RC system components are also mounted on the socket and can be removed at any time, and maintenance is easy through the relatively large deck opening.
A basic 2-channel stick radio with standard servos can control the model on all possible courses, extracting maximum performance from the model.
Last edited by isobaryachts; Jan 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Looks kind of cute with the storm rig
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:45 AM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
sure does, a bit like Puss N Boots from shrek
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:37 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,324 Posts
Great sail logo ............... enjoy.

Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
A little Magic
Suffolk UK
Joined Oct 2005
69 Posts
Got some video of Johns boat (GBR51) sailing in a F7 wind last Sunday.
I'll post it up on the UK site in the next day or so.

Great boat, nice to see my little tank on the bottom of your post.

Also I've just made a "Basic tuning guide" for the MM, also available in the video section on the UK MM site.

www.magicmicro.org

Good luck
Happy sailing
javelin is offline Find More Posts by javelin
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:00 AM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
Javlin,

It looks like a great class, I am not too sure what the status is here in the US as an official class, but I think you need to get a certain number registered, there is no US class website either.

I will be stocking boats from next month, intro price will be $215. I hope to have spares and further upgrades available on my website too, such as sails and rigging. Shipping to the UK is approx $40.

www.micromagicracing.com
Last edited by isobaryachts; Jan 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
IN Stock

Both Models of the Micro Magic are now in stock at www.micromagicracing.com
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:01 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
hobby lobby is also carrying this now, glad i found this thread.. hmm give me ideas! http://www.hobby-lobby.com/micromagrace.htm
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:13 PM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
Mm

Yes they do, at a higher price. I will also offer ready built boats shortly and sails...plus a range of spares.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:28 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isobaryachts
Yes they do, at a higher price. I will also offer ready built boats shortly and sails...plus a range of spares.
any idea what a rtr with race, or non yellow goofy looking sails would run.. the least amount of work i do the better heheh
mike
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:03 PM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
completed MM racing is $395 not inc rc gear, inc. domestic shipping.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isobaryachts
completed MM racing is $395 not inc rc gear, inc. domestic shipping.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:13 PM
V32 Racer
Iowa
Joined Mar 2007
47 Posts
Why get something that is the size of a footy, Doesn't include the RC equipment for the same price ase a V32 that Does include the RC equipment.

and it is 32 inchest long ! .....

doesn't quite measure up on the bang for the buck.
Cryodacry is offline Find More Posts by Cryodacry
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:23 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
First of all, it's great to see Isobar is selling kits in the US. If this boat is ever going to become popular in the US, we need suppliers like them.

With that said, be reminded everyone that a Micro Magic 'Racing' version kit is available also from Hobby-Lobby. The price is quite a bit cheaper at $229 plus shipping. I don't know what 'extras' Isobar Yachts is including, but they are probably considerable with the price difference.

While the Micro is small in stature, it has a LOT of built in 'goodies' for racing enthusiasts such as an adjustable keel, keel stepped mast, an optional 3rd servo for jib adjustment, carbon fiber spars included in the kit, etc.

Also, in Europe, the Micro Magic class is truly a phenomenon, with over 4000 boats registered and the first ever European Championships being held last year. So, while it may have some competition in the US with boats like the Vic, the V-32 and the Footy, it has a lot going for it.

Oh, and there are 2 versions of the boat--both sold by Hobby-Lobby. The original 'Mark 1' kit, is $169.99 and doesn't include a lot of the go-fast options of the other previously mentioned 'Mark II' kit (Racing version).

So, the Micro is worth a look. In the coming months you may see it start to appear on this side of the Atlantic with greater frequency.

Hobby-Lobby website: www.hobby-lobby.com
flatlandsailor is online now Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Last edited by flatlandsailor; Feb 27, 2008 at 01:06 AM.