HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
Joined Jun 2007
44 Posts
Question
Spektrum DX6 VS DX6i

What is the significant advantage/difference between using the DX6 or the DX6i for CCPM helicopters ?
attack_pilot is offline Find More Posts by attack_pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:48 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
I read that the DX6I uses 8AA batteries? That would be a deal breaker for me, if it is true.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:22 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
From the DX6i manual:

"Installing the Transmiter Batteries
DX6i systems that are included in some Ready-To-Fly aircraft (like the E-flite Blade 400) require 4 AA batteries
while DX6i systems purchased separately include rechargeable NiMH batteries and an overnight charger.

Installing the Batteries
For transmitters that require 4 AA batteries:
Remove the battery door and install 4 AA batteries, noting the polarity of each corresponds with the diagram in the battery holder. Replace the battery door.
Note: Optional NiCd or NiMH 1.2 volt AA rechargeable batteries can also be used. A charge jack is located on the left side of the transmitter for convenient recharging.

Charging Bateries
Several versions of the DX6i include rechargeable NiMH batteries and a 4.8-volt charger. It is imperative that you fully charge the transmitter. To do so, using the included wall charger, leave the charger and batteries connected
overnight. The charger supplied with this system is designed to recharge your transmitter batteries at a rate of 150mA. Do not use this charger for equipment other than Spektrum. The charging plug polarity may not be the same"

What I interpret from this excerpt, is that when you order the DX6i separately as I did (not yet arrived), the unit comes with 4x NiMh AA cells, which stay in the tx and you recharge it as you normally would any other tx, albeit with a backwards polarity charge port, which I will gladly CORRECT for them as I did with my DX6 and xp8103. Why JR/Spetrum insists on this backwards polarity charge port scheme, I don't know... maybe they figure we're just stupid and will only buy/use their particular recharging brick. It takes all of 60 seconds to fix once the soldering iron is hot.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:36 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by attack_pilot
What is the significant advantage/difference between using the DX6 or the DX6i for CCPM helicopters ?
I fly all my helis, which feature 120 degree ccpm with my DX6... for now. I wanted to upgrade to either the DX7 or the uber-badboy JR X9303, mainly because I wanted the DSM2 full-range tech. Both of those tx's are way nice, but you also pay a nice price. I figure if the DX6 is enough tx for me, then why pay for more than I need? The DX6i is an excellent value if 6 channels is enough.

In a nutshell-

DX6:

DSM1 technology- parkflyer only
limited to AR6000 receiver only
unfriendly programming- 3 character model names and menu titles, etc.

DX6i:

DSM2 tech- full range, approved for use in all air models
compatible with all Spektrum receivers
larger display, plain English text, scroll wheel cursor control
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:51 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
The radio that comes with the Blade400 uses some AA batteries (which IMHO is not a huge deal. Just get radio shack rechargables and your good). The one that you buy separately comes with a standard transmitter pack. They were simply trying to keep the cost down on the one that comes with the Blade400.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
I was worried about the Blade400's 4AA as opposed to the standard 8cell pack. I decided first to run some el cheapo alklines in the b400tx and have found that they last as long if not longer then the 650mah 8cell pack in my futaba radio...I found a 24 AA pack at walmart for 4 or 5 bucks and will burn thru those batts before using my nice 1500mah AA rechargables. Should last till summer at my rate.

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:40 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
The other BIG, HUGE, GIANT, GREAT advantages of the DX6i over the DX6 is the 5 point pitch and throttle curves, and I believe you can use the nano rec with it. I'm just waiting for someone to realize they don't need the one that came with their Blade 400 and decides to sell.
missle is online now Find More Posts by missle
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:25 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
5-point curves are a nice improvement over 3-point. It doesn't matter how well you dial in the curves, which takes a lot of trial-and-error adjustments to get there, will never perform as well as a good governor can to maintain a steady headspeed.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:35 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,508 Posts
The big feature I thought the DX-6 needed was the integrated timer. It is easy to use a cell phone timer or small cooking timer but it is so nice to have each time stored with the model in the Tx. If I read the material correctly, the DX-6i comes with a timer and the better throttle/pitch curves.
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:04 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,487 Posts
The 6i makes the DX-6 obsolete. Don't waste your money on the dx6. I have one and I'm wishing I had the option for the dx-7 or 9303 dsm when I purchased the dx6. (they hadn't come out yet)

Do yourself a favor. Get the most options, that as of right now, you'll never think you'll ever need. This hobby is addictive and before you know it you'll be wishing you had a 9 channel for mixing or a CCPM heli with retracts and heading hold channels. The 6 channel uses all the channels to fly a std ccpm heli with heading hold/rate giro switch.

I echo the 5 point ptich/throttle curves. My larger heli (600) and my smaller scale heli really needs more than a 3 point curves.

I know it's hard to make the justification for the JR9303 DSM cost but believe me, you'll never have to buy another radio. If money is an issue get the 6i over the dx6. You may never need another radio with that little guy and you get to use it on gas plane/heli's if you ever go that route. The dx6 is only for park flyers/electrics.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:33 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Just talked to Bill @ MidAmerica Hobbies, where I have an order placed for a DX6i. He says they are supposed to ship at the end of February. The delay has something to do with the New Year's party action going on in Asia. He says he'll send me some definitive info on the differences between the tx purchased alone vs the one included with the Blade 400. I'll post it when I get it.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:18 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01
Just talked to Bill @ MidAmerica Hobbies, where I have an order placed for a DX6i. He says they are supposed to ship at the end of February. The delay has something to do with the New Year's party action going on in Asia. He says he'll send me some definitive info on the differences between the tx purchased alone vs the one included with the Blade 400. I'll post it when I get it.

Thats odd, I thought the one purchased with the Blade400 was the real thing?
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:55 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Thats odd, I thought the one purchased with the Blade400 was the real thing?
It's real, however, from what I read there are some minor differences.

Does yours have a battery charging jack?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:38 AM
@đξΆŧ
Joined Jan 2008
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
Do yourself a favor. Get the most options, that as of right now, you'll never think you'll ever need. This hobby is addictive and before you know it you'll be wishing you had a 9 channel for mixing or a CCPM heli with retracts and heading hold channels. .
I know this might sound silly, but is it possible to "add" channels for retracts/nav. lights, and the like to your Tx? i've never really studied the inside of my Tx and can't imagine it being super difficult to add some wiring to send a signal pre crystal/antenna.
booyakahsha is offline Find More Posts by booyakahsha
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:38 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyakahsha
I know this might sound silly, but is it possible to "add" channels for retracts/nav. lights, and the like to your Tx? i've never really studied the inside of my Tx and can't imagine it being super difficult to add some wiring to send a signal pre crystal/antenna.
Add some wiring to get another transmit channel??