HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sectrix, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
The cake is a lie
G. Heights, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
67 Posts
Discussion
More research

After research and discussion on the forums, I've learned a few things.

First, the laws on UAV operation in the US seem to be a gray area. I was technically correct about my previous assumption, but as someone here pointed out AC 91-57 is, after all an advisory circular. A suggestion of rules to follow, encouraging voluntary compliance. I will still be complying with 91-57s rules, but not with the added mention of line-of-sight operation in the other document. I believe in the end, should the law come down, it will be noted that the plane was not hurting anyone or anything, it was done in the spirit of academic pursuit, and I made it as safe as I reasonably could, and will be exonerated from any penalties. I hope.

Further research into the electronics of the plane have been made and I've found that my video system is hideously expensive. I have found other systems of equal or greater quality for much less; future hobbies, new generation hobbies, etc. I am also debating the need for a full telemetry system. It is very expensive and just another radio signal my plane must emit. If it is possible to use the control radios bi-directionally I may be able reduce the radio links needed to two. I have discovered 'OHD's that post some metric data into the video. Not as complete or as accurate as I want, but perhaps all I need. Also there is the question of video display; if I should use a simple LCD panel or a set of goggles. Goggles preclude a panel of switches for things like flaps and gear, and also the live display of telemetric data on a laptop, both things I was considering. It comes down tho this at the moment: should I use a over head display type telemetry and goggles, or an LCD panel with full laptop telemetry?

And finally I have completed notes for the first chapter of 'Model Aircraft Aerodynamics' and moving to the second. After reading about the things to consider when designing a model airplane, I will read about how to build model airplanes from wood and such. Then having learned how to design and build, I will design an airframe around the electronics I decide will be included. Next the aircraft must be carefully built. During this whole time I must be learning how to actually pilot RC aircraft. Once it is built, and I can fly, I will put the two together and finish this project.
sectrix is offline Find More Posts by sectrix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:49 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
That is why I am moving to OK.

I will go by the "If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it does it make a sound?" model.

AKA "Out of site, out of mind."
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:49 PM
The cake is a lie
G. Heights, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
67 Posts
That is my policy. Keep it away from people and things.
sectrix is offline Find More Posts by sectrix