HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
99 Posts
Discussion
Anyone know of a Scale RC boat club in Miami, FL

I've asked at the local shops and searched the internet.. but I can't find anything, anywhere about scale RC boating here in Miami.
I know there must be other boaters out there because all the parks have signs at their lakes saying "NO Radio controlled boats of any kind."
Anyone know anything?
I'm thinking about trying to start one if I can't find one which already exists..
Anyone?
Holycow is offline Find More Posts by Holycow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
jayman
Joined May 2007
309 Posts
Hi Holycow,

I would be very interested in knowing about any scale modeling boat club in South Florida.

Where do you live? North Miami, Cutler Ridge, Miramar, Kendall? I live in Broward near I95 and Daive Blvd. and am in to scale models as opposed to speed boats.

I believe there is a club in Hollywood but I understand it is oriented to stick and string models. (I need to develop my skills before I attempt a sail model.)
One of the people at RC Hobbies on N. University mentioned something about a club & pond in Coral Springs. But I gather that is oriented toward speed models. Even so, that could be a 45 minute drive from my location. And from your location, that could be a real trip.

I built a full scale operational mock-up of my current build, a Revell Flower corvette. (Read, I really mesed up on my first build.) I tested it out on a local canal off the New River with good results. It attacked an Iguana and forced it to the surface. The Iguana was last seen on the sea wall on the opposite bank.

I thought I could complete the model and take it out to any park and run it. I did not know (because I did not think to inquire) that there would be prohibitions regarding RC models. I gather that, in your experience, most parks prohibit RC models. Is that the case?

I would, at the very least, like to find a place to run my model once it is completed. Do you know of any parks etc that do not prohibit RC boats?

I would not like to have to run it in the canals off the New River because if it ever gets away I would have to decide if I wanted to get wet. I have had Bell's Paulsey twice from having to swim in these waters. I really don't want to do it again.

There is Hobbie Beach and the ICW side of John U. Lloyd State Park. At least the water is clear even if it is a cold 74*. What would you suggest?

Regards, Jay
Jay Hargest is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hargest
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:23 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
The Broward Shipcrafters used to run boats at the International Game Fish Association Headquarters and Hall of Fame located at 300 Gulf Stream Way in Dania; next to the Bass Pro Shop. They used the run at the casting stage. IIRC they used to run twice a month on Sundays, Noon - 2 PM. At least they used to run there when I was stationed in Clearwater, 1998-2002.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:35 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
The only one's I know about is the North Florida Orcas in Jacksonville. Their site has a lot of popups and hasn't been updated since 2006, but you can try contacting them. Surely they would know about any other clubs.
http://nfloridaorcas.freeservers.com/
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:38 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,015 Posts
When I was in the area we (shipcrafters) sailed WAY out in C. B. Smith park by 1-75, I've since lost touch with the guys, but still remember the great times that were had, wtih the regattas and sunday runs. Maybe run an add in the paper or get ahold of the paper and see if they would be interested in a story about model boating.
It is very difficult to contact with people in a large populous area, that have like interest.
I also lived in Jacksonville and ended up running my boats alone...
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:01 PM
jayman
Joined May 2007
309 Posts
The only thing I have come up with so far is a club, Broward RC Boat Club. According to their web site, they have a facility and meet at Markam Park, which is a large facility off 595 just west of I95. (The park also has runways etc for model airplanes.)

Somehow, I gather that you must be a member of their club to use the facilities. I have sent an e-mail to their President, Ron Ratoff seeking clarification. The club is oriented toward racing boats so I don't know if they would be interested in slow scale boats.

Their web site is: www.browardrcboatclub.com

I will keep you posted.

Jay
Jay Hargest is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hargest
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
Keep her steady as she go
USA, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Sep 2006
107 Posts
Jay, My boat club is about 1 1/2 hrs. north of you in Fort Pierce Florida. We have a website (www.waveblasters.org) check us out. You are welcome any time to come up and run your boats. We meet on Sunday mornings. We run scale from 7:30 AM till 11:00 AM. Then the fast electric boys run and we have some 70 mph boats that are fun to watch. I hope this is some help and I hope you can make the trip. Thanks Captain Bill
Captain Bill is offline Find More Posts by Captain Bill
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:41 AM
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
118 Posts
The club I belong to over here on Florida's West Coast in the Tampa Bay area is the Bay Area Electric Boaters, based out of Largo. We have 30 or so members, and meet twice a month at Lake Seminole Park. We run electric, steam and sail power boats.
Check out our website at www.bayrcboaters.com
Large Mike
large mike is offline Find More Posts by large mike
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:14 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
99 Posts
I've run my 1/144 USS Houston in the lake in front of Baptist Hospital on Kendall Dr .. just east of the Turnpike. HOWEVER I have seen a group of guys sailing and racing RC sailboats there and am concerned they might have some type of formal deal with the hospital, so I stayed on the other side of the lake.. no one ever said anything to me the few times I ran there, but I'm sure if someone had a speed boat or something other than electric.. the game would be over.
As I mentioned in my original post I have stopped at some parks with beautiful lakes, only to find signs forbidding any type of rc boat.
As for my location.. I actually live down near Homestead (a ways south of Miami). I wouldn't mind driving to the Miami Metro area for some rc boatery, but more than 45 min in the car and it's not worth it, I drive all day during the week as it is.
--Jeff
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
102 Posts
Shipcrafters

I was a member of Shipcrafters from 1988 until sometime in the mid 90s when I was transfered to the West Coast. We had a break away club for the Palm Beach County guys out at Forest Hill and the Turnpike in 1996. After moving to Jacksonville in the late 90s, I was a member of a group that met on Imellia Island, then another (Orcas) west of Jacksonville along I-10. Since moving back to Fort Myers, I have only heard of Speed Boat clubs in my area. I am aware of Bay Area RC, and have attended a couple of their Regattas back some ten years ago. Problem I have, my boats are too big for my present car. I would definately like to find a scale club on the lower Florida Gulf Coast. Chuck
CFDBASHER is offline Find More Posts by CFDBASHER
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
Holycow,

Have you spoken to anyone at the Parks Department about their policy? It may trace back to a specific incident (if so I would wager a gas boat involved). The club I'm in has had a long and positive relationship with Milwaukee County Parks for many years. They have always done their best to meet our needs and we try and oblige them when they ask us to appear at a Park event (which is not an uncommon occurrence).

Having a consistent and visible place to run is key to bringing in new modelers and getting old models out of the attic. The parks department should encourage participation in wholesome activities and usage of the parks. Try and get them to designate one pond for R/C scale boating (electric, sail, and steam). If you have to sell them on the idea maybe a demonstration would be in order.

When you run at the hospital and the sailboat guys are there I suggest you go over and introduce yourself. Check their frequencies to make sure you are not conflicting with one of them. I'm sure they would appreciate the gesture and you may make some new boating friends.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:59 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
99 Posts
A few words.
I use Spektrum DX 6 radio so chance of interference.
I thought about talking to the sailboat people but had been told by a local shop owner that only they had permission to use the lake and you had to be part of their sail only club or some such thing. Since this is the only real nice place I've found without signs forbidding rc boats, I figured it'd be better to use it until they kicked me out rather than to risk never getting to use it at all. This said, if I do find another nice place, I will stop by and ask them someday.
I will contact the County Parks Department. To see if whoever who answers the phone these days knows something. I tried to call them last year and reached a number of recordings which referred me to other numbers and recordings and finally (like a scene out of the movie Airplane) to a machine which referred me to the numbers of the two previous recordings.
I have spotted a lake which could potentially work, I just need to contact the managers of the site to see what they say. The only downside is, its not a park and has no picnic tables, or real traffic that could attract the attention of other fellow hobbyists so the club might not ever really take off.
-- Jeff
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Are you still thinking about starting a club? I live in Coral Springs and might be interested in joining.
trawlerlover is offline Find More Posts by trawlerlover
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:45 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Is anyone interested in starting a club around Miami or Ft Lauderdale?
trawlerlover is offline Find More Posts by trawlerlover
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Place

Has anyone considered silver lakes in pembroke pines? the only downfall is its 50ft deep. but there are shallow places.
oliverx12 is offline Find More Posts by oliverx12