HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Help!
Shell I do switch from mode 1 to mode 2

Shell I? I think if I am to do anything like that this is the best time.

I can fly on the simulator in mode 2. Maybe not as precise as with mode 1 but ...

I have learned from day one in mode 1 but I don't know anyone else flying it. Since I've hit a bottom of the learning curve anyhow, I don't mind spending much more time on simulator using mode 2. Weather is really horrible anyway and there won't be much flying in a while and that little I can do in my garden.

But, is it worth? Would you do something like that? Has anyone decided and changed mode and that got proven as a good idea?
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
South Africa
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
sorry wrong thread
danielw is offline Find More Posts by danielw
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
i would have assumed it would be easier in mode 2 cause all the basic flight controls are on the same stick, but then if you prefer mode 1 then that is the one you should use
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
I switched from mode 1 to mode 2 during my learning process. I found it alot more logical since the entire cyclic controls are on one side. Further, it gives a touch of realism since a real heli has all its cyclic controls on the main stick.

Mode 1 really makes no sense. Its like having a cars steering wheel wired the other way around and one of your feet is the gear change while the gear knob is the throttle control. Sure, you get used to it after that, but i dont know why it exists at all
learninginverted is offline Find More Posts by learninginverted
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:32 PM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
it would make sense if it was just mode 2 flipped over
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Jan 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
allways hyper
Arcata, California
Joined Sep 2006
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuckpoo
I switched from mode 1 to mode 2 during my learning process. I found it alot more logical since the entire cyclic controls are on one side. Further, it gives a touch of realism since a real heli has all its cyclic controls on the main stick.

Mode 1 really makes no sense. Its like having a cars steering wheel wired the other way around and one of your feet is the gear change while the gear knob is the throttle control. Sure, you get used to it after that, but i dont know why it exists at all
Usually people in Asia use Mode 1. In the U.S. we use mode 2, Ive talked to Chinese about it, they say "yes mode 2 is better, but were all mode 1, which makes you a minority. " lol

Its just like reigons on dvds.
sqito is offline Find More Posts by sqito
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
I am from Asia, but unlike most Asians, i will always question convention. Everyone i know here flies mode 1. If mode 1 was logical, they should have done the same thing with the controls on a real heli.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Northeast Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2007
362 Posts
I tried learning mode 1 and its just odd. mode 2 is logical to me since the right stick rolls the helicopter in any direction you tell it too on that axis, the left stick works throttle and tail which because they both move with the throttle is the logical way....

Why on earth was mode 1 ever created in the first place? does anyone even know?
OGBrain is offline Find More Posts by OGBrain
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGBrain
I tried learning mode 1 and its just odd. mode 2 is logical to me since the right stick rolls the helicopter in any direction you tell it too on that axis, the left stick works throttle and tail which because they both move with the throttle is the logical way....

I've been wondering this myself. The only thing that I can think of is that there are certain people that like Mode 1 better, it just works better for them. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense accept to those that use Mode 1.
surgicalCFe is offline Find More Posts by surgicalCFe
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:19 PM
allways hyper
Arcata, California
Joined Sep 2006
593 Posts
Quote:

lol I asked them that too. My friend working at the hobby shop said it was becuase most people are right handed and people like to have throttle on their right hand.
sqito is offline Find More Posts by sqito
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
i am left handed, when i first started, i actually wanted mode 3/4 i.e throttle on the right, and full cyclic on the left. This lets my left hand do the sensitive work. But in the end, it was hard enough being a mode 2 flyer in a region that flies mode 1.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:24 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
That's simple, as I was explained: two sticks each controlling one axis as a commodity in the 'old days': At first there was only two channels - ailerons and throttle. Then third was added - pitch - to separate stick (on the left since right hand was already taken). Then fourth channel was added - rudder... So mode 2 came after mode 1 people 'correcting' evolution of transmitter...

But, I don't think mode 1 or mode 2 is different from perspective of those who already know how to use them - I wasn't able to fly any without 'learning' them (muscle memory? brain and process of learning?) - logic doesn't help if you have to decide in less then a second (I am sure that there is real number of milliseconds there were logical process cannot kick in - but only learned routine...). Only problem I have is being an ugly duckling having mode 1 whiile everyone around me have mode 2.
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky