HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2001, 04:08 PM
La Honda CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
208 Posts
What is latest on Hobby-Lobby Spitfire

Hi - What mods: motor, battery, flying experience. building tips, shipping damage since early problems???
ez
ezekiel is offline Find More Posts by ezekiel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2001, 06:49 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,125 Posts
EZ-

I've been flying mine with no further mods outside of what I already posted on the "Speed 400 Foames Spitfire" thread.

Works great. When you get the decals on it really comes alive.

I am planning to do one more mod on mine for sure in the next few days. I will cut out a scoop in the nose underside and an outlet vent behind the wing for more ventilation for the motor. It gets too hot in there with no ventilation. Some have had the motor back out of the gearbox too, with the hot motor as the culprit. I taped my motor to the gearbox with some strapping tape, but I didn't put it on too thick because that in itself will insulate the motor and make heat dissipation harder.

One train of thought is to just not fly it at full throttle, and to fly throttled back most of the time. But, that is unacceptable to me as an aerobatics afficianado. This is a fighter after all, with a full house setup so why not use what it's got. This is the reason for the cooling mod. Doesn't look hard to do at all.

Lots of fun otherwise. In an nutshell it's a medium to slow speed, scale-looking fun flyer. Looks very scale in flight, and it rounds out the other fast models in my garage.

I too would like to hear other reports. Anyone else???

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2001, 05:07 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,125 Posts
BTW- it flies inverted just fine. Knife edges are a bit strained, though. If you get some practice, a sideslip flyby looks neat and pretty. Funny, the real one strained to do a good knike edge, too!

Didn't the war department know about this eventual short comming???

Ed
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2001, 11:08 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I just received my Spit in the mail last week. It looks really good. I'm planning to power mine with a geared Astro 020 brushless and 8 CP-1300's.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jun 03, 2001, 02:40 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,125 Posts
Mark-

Keep me informed on your progress! That sounds great. This is a plane that would be like night and day with some serious power.

Ed
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2001, 05:47 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Will Do.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100