HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:27 AM
Joined Aug 2003
105 Posts
Discussion
The best slow flyer for first plane?

Hey guys, what would you recommend as a good slow flyer for a beginner.

I like the eflight, bi plane slow flyers, in the videos so far. but never flew one yet. I am used to the tiny parkzone micro's and havent had much like with larger full size parkzones. I like something I can see and fly close.

any suggestions?

thanks
pcolla1 is offline Find More Posts by pcolla1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Apr 2004
104 Posts
I would do some searches in this forum for the GWS Slow Stick. One of the all time greatest electric slow flyers and fantastic 1st plane. My SS is currently being fitted for duty as a aerial photography plaform as well as being fitted with a bomb bay. The plane is simple but hugely capable. With different configurations you can have a really slow and docile trainer. Do some mods or change the wing and suddenly you have a faster plane that can do some rather impressive aerobatics. With the SS, you really are only limited by your imagination.
RC Sumo is offline Find More Posts by RC Sumo
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
The Slow or Pico stick are good slow flyers for a beginner, IF! there flown at first in calm wind, in a huge field with NO trees, etc.. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
GWS pico moth flies better than Slow Stick. Hated the way everything would slide around on the stick, the stick got bent easily even with wood inside it, plastic parts were fragile...yuk...and it is ugly.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
GWS pico moth flies better than Slow Stick. Hated the way everything would slide around on the stick, the stick got bent easily even with wood inside it, plastic parts were fragile...yuk...and it is ugly.
New SS kits have a fiberglass tube fuselage and the slip on parts are very tight and don't slide. But I guess "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. As I recall one of the first "stick" models back in the 80's was the "Ugly Stick." And the SS may seem ugly to some but very cute to others.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:54 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
Yeah, I knew that and almost mentioned it. The pico moth flies nice with the stock motor and a cheap (small) 2 cell lipo.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:57 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,611 Posts
slow stick, pico stick, mini-mag, easy-star ....

If you don't have a radio/receiver set yet you should look at the kits that come with the radio, motor, receiver, ESC.

While the slow stick will only cost you about 30 dollars, if you don't already have electronics, then you may be looking at a 200+ dollar investment.

Try to find a RTF, ready to fly kit that has it all, if you don't have electronics already.

All that being said ... take a look at this link ... here are some planes and setups that may interest you ....

http://epyaya.com/index.php?cPath=145_205_473
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:59 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
My 1st one was the GWS Beaver.Awesome plane.
gabrielh is offline Find More Posts by gabrielh
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I have the Beaver as well. The wing is the same as the Pico stick! I have several extra Pico stick wings and ordered a couple Beaver wings, only to find out they were the same, with exception of not being notched for the bamboo sticks front and back.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:17 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
The Multiplex MiniMag isn't even recommended as a beginner plane by Multiplex. I am having good success with the Multiplex Easystar. Also, a lot of newbies at the park are starting out with HobbyZone SuperCubs. They appear to take collisions with terra firma very well, and usually just need a new prop as the only repair. If you don't want the RTF version with cheap xmtr, just buy the components separately...they are reasonable in price.

The smaller planes are more sensitive to wind, and the Supercub flies a bit faster than the SlowStick and is less prone to unexpected wing tip stalls.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:44 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,611 Posts
Zerts ....

Actually, Multiplex does class this plane as suitable for a beginner if they have someone experienced to help them.

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/

select English/Products/Aircraft Models .. and then Mini-mag

This kit is VERY simple to build and can be built with or with out ailerons.

BPHobbies has the RTF Mini-Mag available for $195.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...5&pid=B2111392

A person could start out with the Mini-mag w/o ailerons enabled and after a short time they can cut the ailerons in and begin their aileron training.

I would have no trouble suggesting this as an option for a beginner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:04 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
LouieB,

I was wondering about the relatively high wing loading and not much wing dihedral - do you think the M-M flies faster and less forgiving than the SuperCub?

I want to go from the EasyStar to something with landing gear to do ROG and touch and goes . I can handle broken props but don't want to get frustrated with a "beginner" craft that damages easily.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:13 AM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,611 Posts
I have not flown the SuperCub so I am uncertain about the comparison. On my Mini-Mag I have the brushless setup, Himax 2815-2000. The wheels were too small to ROG from our grass field so I put a slight larger Dubro wheel on the MM. If you have a hard and flat surface then the standard wheels will be fine.

I do a LOT of dead stick landings with this plane, it glides in real nice and smooth, especially in a no wind dead stick. I have also enabled spoilerons and flaperons. With spoilers I have brought to plane in and landed it in an area the was less than 5 feet in length. Of course, I may never be able to do that again!

The plane has behaved very well for me in winds up to 12 -14 mph which is a lot of wind. In that kind of wind you have to fly the plane all the time and you need a 3 cell lipo with a 6x4 prop. In average winds, the planes flies quite well with a 2cell lipo and a 7x5 prop. Average flight times for me, for either set up is between 12 and 18 minutes, depending on how 'hard' I fly.

I really like this plane and it has become my current all time favorite. I keep the throws cranked down and it does easy aerobatics and when I go full throw on the control surfaces the MM can do some REAL tight loops.

I you have time on the EasyStar or some similar, the MM would be a very easy plane to move into. I belive that you would be very please with the way it flies and its durability.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Jan 17, 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: correct the motor specs
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:36 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Ya the M-M looks good, I saw it flown only once, but saw the Super Cub flown a lot by newbies at the park. I wasn't so impressed by the GWS E-Starter. Do you happen to know if the stock brushed 400 direct drive motor and tiny prop on the M-M is actually viable? So many stock motor setups seem underpowered...does it help to have to have plenty of power to prevent a crash? That is my experience with the EZ* because I didn't use the direct drive 400 that it came with, I put in a brushless per the recommendations in this forum. Now I have 3 brushed 400 motors and a brushed ESC lying around. I can always upgrade to a BL motor when I get to doing aerobatics.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:39 AM
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Nov 2001
328 Posts
slow flyer

Hi! Try The Park Shark great flyer, easy to fly. http://www.foamtasticmodels.com/prod01.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=Park+shark

Late!
Lee R. Wheeler is offline Find More Posts by Lee R. Wheeler