HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:19 AM
Joined Dec 2007
82 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 4#3 and General micro heli?.........

Are they any upgreade parts for the walkera 4#3 yet (ie, brushless motor, aluminums parts)?

I am looking for a good indoor/outdoor heli. I want it to be very small so I can fly it indoors when I am bored watching TV. I am attracted to belt drives, but only because I have been led to believe they are more reliable than tail motors and more stable. I want a stable, precise, reliable, well built heli. Yeah I know that is what everyone wants, lol. I am not looking to spend more than $160. Thanks for the help.
hyrepower is offline Find More Posts by hyrepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:31 AM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
4#3 is not that precise and stable. This little thing will move from 1 place to another in a heartbeat. I suggest you go get 5G6 co-axial.
psicrest is offline Find More Posts by psicrest
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
82 Posts
I kinda wanted to get something that looked a little better and was a little more high tech. I totally appreciate the help, but I would like to get something a little less conservative.
I have also been looking at the firefox pixy 100, does anybody have anything to say about how this compares with the others that are out there?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
I think 4#3 is good budget wise. The only downside is the motor, which i think was $5 each. But it last more than 100 flights for me with WD40 trick. check out my youtube -> http://www.youtube.com/Psicrest27 I got bunch of videos of my 4#3. Im a newbie and most of the mods i did was from this forums.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:27 AM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
639 Posts
Hirobo

This may be closer to what you are after by the looks of it. It is going to be expensive and until it ships and is independently reviewed, is a little bit unknown.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
82 Posts
what about any of the other belt drives? Some of them look pretty cool to like the firefox pixy 100, the compy 300 (kinda pricey though), the EP100. The input is great thanks guys. Forgive me for being a total newb. I searched the forums for hours, but could not find any real world conclusive answers, so I figured you guys would be best to pose the questions to. Thanks guys and keep it coming I am really interested in this and am going to buy one here very soon, as soon as I can figure what is best bang for the buck.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
82 Posts
Can you do loops with the 4#3?

For whatever reason I am fixated on the Firefox Pixy 100, seems to be pretty cool with a belt drive and brushless motor. I just am so unfamiliar with the capabilities, features, and quality of what is out there and don't want to buy one of these and later regret I didn't get another type. I am very anal retentive I guess. I normally dwell on which item I will buy for weeks before making a decision. Heck I did it for a month before going forward buying my new car, lol. But once I make the decision it is full steam ahead with no regrets.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 AM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrepower
Can you do loops with the 4#3?

For whatever reason I am fixated on the Firefox Pixy 100, seems to be pretty cool with a belt drive and brushless motor. I just am so unfamiliar with the capabilities, features, and quality of what is out there and don't want to buy one of these and later regret I didn't get another type. I am very anal retentive I guess. I normally dwell on which item I will buy for weeks before making a decision. Heck I did it for a month before going forward buying my new car, lol. But once I make the decision it is full steam ahead with no regrets.
Can you fly a heli? Belt drives and CP helis are great and some has cheap ones, the problem is when you crash it. Belt and CP heli are very hard to fix. Fix pitch doesnt do loop, but it will teach to how to maneuver your heli, also it will give you an introduction how to fix your heli when bad things happen. Even the Pros can crash their heli, since you said you are fixed with $160 budget, i think its enough for just 1 heli, but im preety sure you'll be spending more on parts and maintenance. I myself constructed another 4#3 out of my broken parts which i glued, repaired and some were fabricated. Goodluck
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
82 Posts
so which would you recommend and why: the 4#3, the firefox pixy 100, or the EP100
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 AM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
I havent tried pixy and EP100. But for the durability, i think i go for 4#3. I bought it for $110, parts cost around 2-$10 except the servo and the RX. But that would be the last thing that will break due to crash. The 4#3 official forums are also active, giving new mods and technique everyweek thats why i dont get bored on it that easy. Im looking forward for its brushless mods.

Btw, have you checked Walkera 52? i think its like the size of EP100 and it can do loops and they have a brushless mod on it.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:35 AM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
EP 100 is a bit delicate. Your going to need a TX, RX, servos, motor, speed control, gyro. The EP 100 might cost you more than 160 dollars to get in the air. Go to a local hobby shop and try out real flight simulator. Try flying a heli. Now each time you crash just remember you could be spending $50 dollars or more to do repairs. Then also remember the simulator helps but it still doesn't teach you how to set up your heli, repair it and some of the flight characteristics are not realistic. Even after you master the flight sim, you won't be able to hover the real thing right off the bat, but you will be a bit closer than without it.

Also remember smaller helis are harder to fly than bigger helis. The bigger the heli the more stable it is to fly. I suggest you get a coax heli first. When setup it will hover hands free. I like your enthusiasm, but its going to get crushed fast if you jump in blind.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 AM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
I think most heli hobbyist spend more time on repair and maintenance than flying them.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:59 AM
Joined Dec 2007
82 Posts
What about this bird: http://www.highvolt-heli.com/catalog...05/5322170.htm

This looks really cool and pretty darn stable. I think it has a belt drive as well as a brushless motor.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Dec 2007
507 Posts
hyrepower,

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'm a total Newb as well. AFter a few weeks of reserach I decided on the Walkera 4#3.

The reasons:
1. Something small enough to fly indoors (very important)
2. Something I can grow with and won't get bored with (I was concerned that a coaxial might get a little ho-hum after awhile, and I don't have endless bags of cash to upgrade through multiple helis)
4. Something I can upgrade and tinker with
5. Something relatively inexpensive to repair.

The 4#3 was hands down the winner. Plus, the support and information on the forums here is incredible. There are some incredibly talented guys giving out advice, sharing thier experiences, and even milling parts for people (e.g. Tbitz and his heatsink and small.planes and his aluminum rotor head)

However, the catch to all this is that I have never flown a heli before. Against most people's advice I went with this small fixed pitch heli as my first heli. In preperation for this though I also bought the RealFlight G4 flight sim. Since I have another couple of weeks before I actually get the 4#3 (it's a birthday present for me at the end of the month) I have been spending at least an hour a day in the heli orientation (direction) training and free flight with the smallest electric FP heli I could find in the sim. So far I'm up to 10+ hours of just training on the sim, and although nothing replaces real world experience, I'm a heck'uva lot better than I was. I can even do some nose-in hovering which apparently is like the holy-grail of learning to fly.

Additionally, I have also been reading Radd's heli training page. It's not a direct one-to-one correlation to the 4#3, but the principles are more or less the same. (the page can be found here: http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html)

Again, take this from someone who has never flown a heli. I don't think the 4#3 is a bad choice for a newb IF you take the appropriate steps to prepare yourself to fly the thing.

J
jasonkc25 is offline Find More Posts by jasonkc25
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:28 AM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
Also if you can find a local hobby shop or a authorized dealer of your parts near your area, that would be more convenient because you will never have to wait for your parts to be shipped. Most hobby shops carry Eflite spares, but i still choose 4#3 because its too darn small a 4ft. x 4ft. space is enough for you to learn how to hover.