HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:56 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
I was really tired of the crappy metal washer tail skid. Who ever thought that was good engineering? When landing it scrapes so loudly on hard top and will wear down in very short order, not good. I made my own tail wheel using an Eflite part and it looks to be a winner. I'll post a pic and part numbers later.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I was really tired of the crappy metal washer tail skid. Who ever thought that was good engineering? When landing it scrapes so loudly on hard top and will wear down in very short order, not good. I made my own tail wheel using an Eflite part and it looks to be a winner. I'll post a pic and part numbers later.
Blu
Please do, I also really hate the washer tail "wheel".
scottieusa is offline Find More Posts by scottieusa
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:01 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,100 Posts
please see my blog for the tail wheel.

fred
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:26 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
here you go.
This mod is for those who need a tail wheel (non-steerable) after already trying and using the dumb washer.
Get a eflite steerable tail wheel assy 3/4". EFLA219
You can use a set screw wheel collar but I chose to cut the weight by using a Dubro 1/2 micro tail wheel kit axle cap CA'ed on.
See the photos attached. Just grab your gals sewing needle and thread and wrap the gear wire to the planes washer. before hand push the gear grey plastic hinge all the way to where the wire bends at 45* and CA it to the wire with thin CA. When all aligned and wrapped, hold in place by the wheel and thin CA the thread wrap. CA the grey hinge to the planes skid as well. finally cut the wire sticking up with a Dremel so that a slight nub is sticking up to prevent any sliding of the glued wire. Paint the gray plastic white if you want. I haven't test flown yet, but it looks good.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:21 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,100 Posts
wow better mod than mine... Looks great...
Yeah I don't know why GP didn't add a tail wheel, now it should be sweeeett!!!

fred
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:01 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Yes I really like it and so easy to do! This is the weirdest plane to CG. After doing the tail wheel I decided to re-CG as I believe my Bipe was very tail heavy before the mod, it really was dragging its rear on turns. In order to get the battery far enough forward to CG on the CG fixture it needed the battery at least an inch into the motor mount bay! To secure it well I had to glue in a basswood tray that allows the battery to slide into that area and still stick to the tray/battery Velcro. It's a bear getting batteries in and out of this plane!
Do you guys see a big area of battery location movement before this plane shows any CG tipping forward or backward? I guess that's a good thing on a plane like this?

Blu
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Flew with the new tail wheel and battery tray mod today.........excellent!
Works great on asphalt and grass. No more scrapping and sparks lol!
Got her dialed in and played with the higher rates, so much fun. I think I like it better than my new PZ VisionAire. Made one more change afterwards by adding a matching under wing stripe on both sides of the bottom wing in neon red. Now I can have better orientation against a blue sky.
Blu
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:59 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,429 Posts
Playing in the wind today with the Reactor.

Great Planes Reactor Bipe 40 (2 min 44 sec)
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:51 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Very nice! Your vid shows how awesome this plane is. How about those rolls, and this puppy is so fast, gota love it.

Blu
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:59 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
I've flown a lot of different planes, but this one is amazing. It does everything but I haven't got it to do a flat spin yet. I tried today and it nosed down out of it really fast
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
Sounds like you need more throw. Move the elevator pushrod to the inner hole on the control horn. Set the end points on radio to its max and give it as much throw as possible. Forvinverted flat spins I like to take it up high, come straight down holding full right aileron, then at same time give full down elevator and fill left rudder. Hope this helps
tubamike78 is offline Find More Posts by tubamike78
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
Check out post 983. Has couple of pictures showing how much throw im getting
tubamike78 is offline Find More Posts by tubamike78
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
I forgot to mention that was high rate on aileron and medium on rudder and elevator. Today will be flight 8, and I'll go full rates all around. The KE on this plane is really sweet. I still remember the maiden on low rates and it was freaking me out it was so responsive. Now I'm getting the hang of her much better. The added neon red stripes on the bottom wing helps a great deal.
Blu
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Flew the Bipe almost exclusively Saturday and I just love this plane! Fast, precise, rock solid, and crazy cool looking. Did I mention it's one beauty on landing as well. I have to be on my toes every time I land my VisionAire, but this little biplane is just so solid and stable when landing.
Blu
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:08 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,100 Posts
Congrats Bluhammer....