HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2008, 07:35 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
Oh thanks Napo but I think you MUST be exaggerating a little?!

I have lots more video tricks up my sleeve, once I get myself wrapped around the new editor(s) I will be using.

This plane is a ton of fun to fly. I have some additional footage that I want to wade through as soon as I have a little time. I am hoping to U/L a little more video then.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2008, 07:44 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Me? Exaggerate? Please...

No, really, it really is about the coolest, highest-quality one I've seen here in the reviews.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Apr 01, 2008, 08:52 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
What kind of flight times?

What kind of flight times are you getting on that 2100?
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Old Apr 02, 2008, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
119 Posts
Guys, what a beautiful Bipe, honestly can't wait to get onto the assembly of ours!
This little nimble beast looks like it's going to Peg the Fun Meter for sure!! Stay tuned we'll keep you folks in the loop.
flyinghamiltons is offline Find More Posts by flyinghamiltons
Old Apr 02, 2008, 07:30 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts

Well, my style of flying sees a lot of throttle modulation (read:I do not stay at WOT for long periods but am on and off and every where in between) and I am routinely getting flights of 7-8 minutes and putting an average of 1500-1600 Mah back in the battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2008, 07:55 AM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR

Well, my style of flying sees a lot of throttle modulation (read:I do not stay at WOT for long periods but am on and off and every where in between) and I am routinely getting flights of 7-8 minutes and putting an average of 1500-1600 Mah back in the battery.
Great...I am looking for a biplane that can use a 2100 (I do not want to buy batteries larger than this) and get adequate flight times which is what you have here.

Thanks for the review. Speaking of reviews, this is an honest review right? Not like the RC mags were every plane flies fantastic and there is only ever something wrong with say, a tail wheel or something that so minor that it does not even need mentioning so they keep sending you planes to review?

I have three RC mag subscriptions that I will not review because they are all sheep and afraid to say anything negative about a plane they are reviewing.

Thanks,
Old Apr 02, 2008, 08:58 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
I try to be honest in all reviews ...if there is something I do not care for, I will bring it out, although I will always do so with tact.

The thing you have to remember is that reviews can be quite subjective due to the fact that each one of us have such varying abilities, equipment, likes and dislikes? What I find easy to fly may be quite difficult for somebody who has not honestly appraised their ability level as beginner? Also, I get 7-8 minutes of spirited flying on a 2100-2200 series lipoly in this plane but somebody else with a vastly different flying style and different batteries of the same class may only get 5 minutes? Can you begin to understand just how many variables can enter the picture?!

But, having said that, the Authors here on RCG do pride themselves on giving an honest appraisal of any product they review and we do try to put ourselves in the shoes of other potential purchasers of any given product.

AND, I REALLY love this plane and I think/hope you will too! GP has hit one out of the park with this one IMHO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2008, 09:52 AM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
I try to be honest in all reviews ...if there is something I do not care for, I will bring it out, although I will always do so with tact.

The thing you have to remember is that reviews can be quite subjective due to the fact that each one of us have such varying abilities, equipment, likes and dislikes? What I find easy to fly may be quite difficult for somebody who has not honestly appraised their ability level as beginner? Also, I get 7-8 minutes of spirited flying on a 2100-2200 series lipoly in this plane but somebody else with a vastly different flying style and different batteries of the same class may only get 5 minutes? Can you begin to understand just how many variables can enter the picture?!

But, having said that, the Authors here on RCG do pride themselves on giving an honest appraisal of any product they review and we do try to put ourselves in the shoes of other potential purchasers of any given product.

AND, I REALLY love this plane and I think/hope you will too! GP has hit one out of the park with this one IMHO.
Kewl, now I just need to see if I can sneek this plane into the house without my gal noticing it...or she will kill me. She says 7 planes is enough....I don't remember saying 7 nink nacks are enough.......but it probibly would be in my best interests to not say that!
Old Apr 02, 2008, 04:38 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Nice review. I had my reactor bipe completed a month ago but have not had a chance to fly it. Snow, cold, wind and a very damp field (club field) nixed any sort of maiden flight thoughts. Maybe this coming weekend hopefully.
I also have a Cox Christen Eagle I need to maiden as well. Love da biplanes!!!
I'm not really too worried about the washer as a tail wheel. I do however have qualms about all the model companies making landing gear wheels not conducive for those of us who fly off of grass fields. Give us some 2 inch wheels!!
My reactor bipe has dubro 2 inch foam wheels and I don't use wheel pants on anything under .46 size. They always get caught in the grass and the plane noses over.
Msprygada, ask your woman how she feels about 36 planes? LOL!!!! Mine hang from clothes hangers in the basement. My other half's complaint isn't about having 36 planes, its the 36 pairs of coat hangers I stole out of the closet to use as a hanging parking lot.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Apr 02, 2008, 04:52 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
Hey we can NEVER have enough planes, right!? I don't even count how many I have finished and flying plus the stash of unbuilt projects stuffed in various places. That way if she asks, I can honestly reply "Uh, I don't know?"<G>
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2008, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
H Town, TX
Joined Feb 2008
452 Posts
All the females in my life from the moms, to the witches (mispelled on purpose) just hae my hobby they look at my planes and various rc projects like outfits and possible purses. "God amir that new plane costs how much, that exactly how much that hermes bag is, come on amir!!!" Blah Blah Blah....
aryajet is offline Find More Posts by aryajet
Old Apr 02, 2008, 04:59 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
600 Posts
Very Nice Review- Biplanes are just cool.
Might have to have one of these. Color combo looks much better in your video that in looks in the GP ad. I think I like it now.

The Video quality from your new camera is awesome

Great Job, Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:55 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,501 Posts
Nice video Jon!

How do you think this plane would do with the Torque 2818/900 and a 12x6 Zoar?
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Apr 04, 2008, 11:00 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
I'd have to check the dimensions of the 2818/900 vs the Rimfire to see if it would mount up cleanly or not but they both appear to be of the similar class of motor as far as power being around 300 watts. The great thing about the suggested Rimfire motor is that it only costs around 32 bucks on Tower?! And it is a perfect match for this plane. It bolts right up to the firewall and the prop/spinner spacing is dead on. I am going to go up to a 11x7 APC E prop tomorrow on mine. I'll report in after I get a few flights on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2008, 11:03 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,501 Posts
Cool Thanks

Bigger prop means slower down lines and easier hover
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent