HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:12 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
Discussion
Felix N His Toys....

just thought i'd post some pics of my current line up including my newest addition the bee.....
pic #1 is the launch area at shorncliffe qld -aka deaths corner- at low tide (great lift and a very crowded spot on a sunday lol! great fun-the antics and fun get be previewed on a site http://www.windsock.net.au/ a great little site for the brisbane fliers with great people and some good local knowledge!
pic #2 is a side on of the cliff,provides great lift on little wind.
pic #3 is the tight landing area.....do not stand here! lol right behind this out of view is a road and houses and provides some rather entertaining approaches
pic #4 is my current hangar.....*yellow is my largely modified,demotorised electra recently refurbished after its maiden (can an electra loop? answer is no not really and it doesn't like trees! ) -a great low lift stately cruiser *white one is my recovered fling - a great little sloper with a little ballast and high throws *red one is my new bee with its wing bag -undergoing a few mods to get the best out of it
pic #5 is the fling prior to recovering -can not recommend this little allrounder enough!
pic #6 is the bee and it's bag
pic #7 the underview of the bee
pic #8 my improved meaner bee logo lol

clear skies and happy landings all
14FELIX2 is offline Find More Posts by 14FELIX2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
Nice little collection.
You can also kind of DS that corner of the park in a good SE wind. Your line has to be scraping wing tips around the park. Just look out for walkers.
I have never seen a wing bag for a Bee.
Nice fling as well. Dad has one and when i flew it i found that it had really slow rudder response. I know im used to aileron ships but I though it was scary. Did you give it a bigger rudder or do any mods to it?
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
swoopdown,
ds'n sc? haha would pay to see that but i can see it would be quite possible (just a little gutsy though! chances of doin damage would be quite high).
the wing bag i made myself out of two sunvisors stapled together,some 100mile/hr tape and a strap off an old bag.works great and makes life easier.
the fling is not modified at all,i run a slightly rearward cg and have a touch more throw but that's it.....just gotta get the speed up a little by droppin the nose and during a turn throw some rudder in and a fair bit of elevator-bit of practice you can literally turn it around it's wingtip without a prob -although expect a long wait trying to get it down for landing,even on the downward side it takes alot of coaxing to lose the hieght!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:36 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
Yea its a pretty mad spot. The park itself is the backside and you need the right model and winds. I only have had sucess there once a long time ago when everything was right.
I do miss Shorncliffe. Such a nice spot with such clean lift and if your brave you can really get down low and use the bushes and gullys and lips in the hill to get a bit of a front side DS effect.
Great idea for a wing bag. Cheep and easy. Im going to make some bags the same way for my Big Bird. Thanks for the idea.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:46 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
glad you like my genius idea hahah,makes it alot easier to transport.......all i did was cut some templates out of car sunvisors-very strong material with a fair bit of padding plus also keeps the electronics cool (or your bourbons ) on those hot days.cut an inch and a half extra all the round and about 3 inches extra for the top.you then fold the extra inch towards the inside and staple it together then use fabric/hundred mile an hour tape to reinforce all the way round.tape the top 3inch flap and staple some velcro to bot sides n bob's your aunty! too easy n works great although it took longer to make than the bee!! lol
have done a little of the scrub bashing you mentioned over and below the lip and yeah definately gives some good speed on some days.......but the best part of shornecliffe is the sunday afternoon combat session!! tight slope,big lift,a very tight landing area and a crowded sky = laughs alround
next time your up that way give us a yell always looking for new people to "dodge" haha....i go under felix on http://www.windsock.net.au/
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:01 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,265 Posts
Hi Felix, im also in Brizy but on the bayside.
Swoop, i knew that place was DS able form the first time i saw that tree line. I will try the next time i go out there which doesn't seems to happen that often. Last time i was up there, i stood at the park in good wind, just to the left of that seat in the first pic and felt a strong gust coming the opposite direction, so good speeds maybe achievable with a fast plank.
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
yeah just make sure you do it when it's quiet,a week day would be best by far.....the proximity of houses,cars and pedestrians (inside of 20metres) opens a huge potential for carnage,and like most there we would love to keep th locals from lobbying against us and keep our site open to flying lol.