SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
Joined Apr 2004
150 Posts
Discussion
MOD#1:axi 2203 prop mount

Fly all axi 2203's on my F3P's. Found this to save some weight and provide easier prop changes:

Remove the two hex screws for the prop saver. Drill a hole through the shaft large enough for a piece of carbon fiber rod. I use #54 bit with a 1mm carbon rod. Glue in with Household Goop thinned with Toluene.

Use goop to tack the prop spacer on the motor.

For the rubber bands, these Suave rubber bands made for hair are great. I use 5 or 6 of these strong / thin bands to get the tension needed. They easily go over the carbon fiber rods.

Goop is a nice adhesive I use for a lot of applications. It comes out of the tube a bit thick for my uses. Just mix some with some Toluene to thin and store in a small jar with a screw on cap. Stores well and ready for use. I use a pin to apply.

Got to be some tricks others are using to improve on building F3P- control horns, linkages, bracings, motor mounts, etc. MOD#2?
zorromister is offline Find More Posts by zorromister
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:25 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorromister
Fly all axi 2203's on my F3P's. Found this to save some weight ...
If you want to save weight, you may also want to consider a lighter prop.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Interesting Zorro...

I did modify several 2203's, but never got anything worth the effort out of it regarding weight savings.

One mod included removing 1 of the 3 mounting tabs.... No significant weight saved there.

I ground flats on the propsaver 90 degrees from the screws.... No significant weight savings there....

On useful mod was to remove the carbon fiber shaft and replace it with a steel 3mm. Before pressing in the shaft, I turned down the first 1cm of it to fit the 2mm shaft that is used in a Wes-Technik prop hub.
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:26 PM
Joined Apr 2004
150 Posts
Thank you for the tip.

Where can you order the Wes-Technik prop from. I saw some at HOMEFLY.COM but not sure these sizes are close to an 8X4.
zorromister is offline Find More Posts by zorromister
Last edited by zorromister; Jan 14, 2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: inc
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Zorro, I got mine from Homefly.... However, I don't think I'd suggest them. They do perform well, however not much better than a GWS or an APC. In the event of a propstrike, they have absolutely no give and are hardmounted to the shaft, so the nose of the airplane is what normally 'gives'......

I know how to propsaver them, just have not done it yet.....
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero