HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:47 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Contest
First North American FPV Challenge and Meeting.

This might come across as kinda corny, but I have been thinking latley of holding some Reno/Red Bull style air races flying solely by FPV. (once it becomes a little more popular) We could use some "el cheapo" foamies and each pilot would have spotters as well as a second pilot via trainer cord. The same rules that apply towards the real races would be used here.

Do you think there could be an improved interest in FPV or simply a interest in this type of challenge?

I will be sending out invitations within the next month or so and the challenge could take place as soon as I have 20 or so replies via IM stating they would like to attend.

Just an idea.....

Apache
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; Jan 14, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,961 Posts
I will be probably there if I can put a week of vacancy when you choose the weekend. Michigan is not far from Montreal.

I dream since long time for the First Redbull competion, I don't want to miss it

It could be also the first FPV meeting in North America.

It started just as an idea...
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:51 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApachePilot
This might come across as kinda corny, but I have been thinking latley of holding some Reno/Red Bull style air races flying solely by FPV. (once it becomes a little more popular) We could use some "el cheapo" foamies and each pilot would have spotters as well as a second pilot via trainer cord. The same rules that apply towards the real races would be used here.

Do you think there could be an improved interest in FPV or simply a interest in this type of challenge?

I will be sending out invitations within the next month or so and the challenge could take place as soon as I have 20 or so replies via IM stating they would like to attend.

Just an idea.....

Apache
A second pilot via trainer cord may be more difficult than you think. Nobody sells a working setup for that as far as I know, unless you think you can get around a complex course without head tracking to look around with.

I also wouldn't go too crazy on course design. So far not too many people have even tried going around pylons, let alone a complex course.

I love the idea, but I think it is very ambitious considering that most people are still flying pretty high rather than low and fast.

I'd come anyway, but Michigan is a bit far for this New Yorker who would have to rent a car.

BTW, most of us fly "cheap foamies." They are the most practical planes for this.

Hmm... I just saw a friend's Multiplex Twister. He said that he bought it after a trip to Vegas where he saw them being clocked at 120 - 125 mph on three cells. Naturally he stuck four cells in his!

I think that would make one heck of a good racing plane, with the camera mounted near the top of the canopy/hatch. (the hatch taped down of course)
Spare parts are supposed to be readily available, so you could have a regular hatch for normal flying. No prop up front, just a pointy piece of foam.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
*been wanting a twister since they were released*

It's not so much racing planes as the style of plane - edge 540's, funtanas, cap232's, etc would be cool.

If you could make it later in the year some of us international people might be able to come That, or try and get it setup with Aspach or the fpv meetings in various countries. If it goes well in the USA and then being able to go over to aspach and do it - you'd get 10,000 germans looking on in wonder and wanting to go fpv
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:06 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
A second pilot via trainer cord may be more difficult than you think. Nobody sells a working setup for that as far as I know, unless you think you can get around a complex course without head tracking to look around with.

I also wouldn't go too crazy on course design. So far not too many people have even tried going around pylons, let alone a complex course.

I love the idea, but I think it is very ambitious considering that most people are still flying pretty high rather than low and fast.

I'd come anyway, but Michigan is a bit far for this New Yorker who would have to rent a car.

BTW, most of us fly "cheap foamies." They are the most practical planes for this.

Hmm... I just saw a friend's Multiplex Twister. He said that he bought it after a trip to Vegas where he saw them being clocked at 120 - 125 mph on three cells. Naturally he stuck four cells in his!

I think that would make one heck of a good racing plane, with the camera mounted near the top of the canopy/hatch. (the hatch taped down of course)
Spare parts are supposed to be readily available, so you could have a regular hatch for normal flying. No prop up front, just a pointy piece of foam.

Pete
Pete,

Thankyou for your input... I appreciate it.

What I meant be using a second pilot is a backup/safety feature in case of signal loss/or unsureness of the FPV pilot. In this instance the second pilot would take control of the aircraft, leave the pattern and land. The reno air style race would be to travel around 3 large helium filled balloons teathered distance would be no more than 300 feet at any given time. If you want to go low and slow, that is entirely welcome. These are just ideas to gain interest. The red but type air race would be to follow a course outlined at pilots meeting, one pilot would fly at a time and would fly a total of 3 rounds. the pilot with the lesser accumulated time would be titled the Michigan FPV Grand Champion. Each fault would add 1.0 minute to overall time or score.

I have more details if you are interested.

Again, thankyou for posting....

Apache
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:28 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,961 Posts
We can also install two pylons with a chord in paper between them and the planes must pass under the line.

Just few ideas for between the races, we can drop something on target and compare precision
we could buy laser guns and make a war until only one survive etc.

Pete, buddy box are not obligatory for everyone until insurance cie or AMA in club force to use them. For now we recommend them for new FPV pilot with fix camera onboard the plane. When pilot are confortable to fly their plane, a spotter is enough. I don't see why we need an instructor on the side ready to take control of a foamy plane in case of video failure, we will not do ours flights over houses or near peoples, but over a feild outside town ( I hope...)
So a spotter for most of us will be enough
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:40 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
We can also install two pylons with a chord in paper between them and the planes must pass under the line.

Just few ideas for between the races, we can drop something on target and compare precision
we could buy laser guns and make a war until only one survive etc.

Pete, buddy box are not obligatory for everyone until insurance cie or AMA in club force to use them. For now we recommend them for new FPV pilot with fix camera onboard the plane. When pilot are confortable to fly their plane, a spotter is enough. I don't see why we need an instructor on the side ready to take control of a foamy plane in case of video failure, we will not do ours flights over houses or near peoples, but over a feild outside town ( I hope...)
So a spotter for most of us will be enough

True,
A second pilot is not mandatory, but he/she can be there to save your model in case of video failure. That is why I had brought that idea into the equation. Definately, we will not be holding this challenge in town near houses or businesses, but rather in the outer farming comunities, where there is plenty of open flat space for the challenge and for vendors tents/porta johns and parking. Also no power lines nor cell phone towers.

Apache

P.S. VRFLYER,

I will contact you when I have a definate date set for the challenge, though I must say at this time if it happens, it will be later in the summer, perhaps August.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
August sounds good, i'd love to come Late august would be awesome if the weather is good there!
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:03 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,474 Posts
If you're flying low and fast there's no need for a spotter anyway, the plane will be on the ground waiting to be fetched before the switch is even released
That would be cool, but difficult. I've had a go at flying between pylons (lampposts), it's fine but as long as you stay quite slow
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:22 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,961 Posts
If it at the end of summer like in August, it's sound fine for me
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:54 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Great, ideas keep coming.....

All those who would wish to attend an event like this please post here your ideas.... I am to meet with the city officials this week and would like to submit this idea at our councel meeting. Perhaps we can get local motels and dining establishments involved as well and be given a club/group rate.... I am putting together a proposal today and, so whatever you would like to add will help in that process....

Apache
Old Jan 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
I am interested but not sure if I'll be able to attend. I may be able to arrange things knowing this far in advance. I like the idea of mixing things up a little so people with different types of planes can participate in different parts of the "meet".

maybe: pylon type racing?
bomb drops?
aerobatics?
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
hey ApachePilot,

Why don't you change the name of the thread so people will know what the topic is about? You may get more traffic that way!

Just a thought!
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
449 Posts
FPV Race in Europe

I dont think this is corny at all...I think FPV has a so much potential in this direction
give this a bit more time and we can fly around obstacles like nobody else can do
not the real planes, not the "normal rc pilots"

for a future idea ...how about a race through the grand canyon ?
naaa...way more narrow
we could even race together at the same time
so much possibilities!

lets do a race in europe too!
but I think it would be much more interesting to use natural obstacles
like slalom the columns of a huge and long bridge,
lets get creative and find a good spot!
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
Night Flyer
France, Normandy
Joined Jul 2006
503 Posts
Very cool, we have think to do red bull fpv air race. With airbag christmass tree.
Why not doing this race next meeting in may.
For trainer cord and head tracker there is no problem: http://aeroimmersion.free.fr/PlanEcolage.pdf
Go fast and turn left
Bye
another fpv game:
http://aeroimmersion.free.fr/video/FPV%20Ribbonnew.avi
http://aeroimmersion.free.fr/video/CasseBaguette.wmv
muppet61 is offline Find More Posts by muppet61