SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
Discussion
Anyone ever built a fountain powerboat model?

I have a question out of curisoty more than anything. Has anyone ever tried to build one of these. The steps are what makes the real boats fast and I want to try to build one. I am looking for help or suggestions.

Thanks
teamnavy is offline Find More Posts by teamnavy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3 Posts
I bought a kit a long time ago MRC i think it was, i still have it if you need pictures this thing was super fast.. but the battery lasted about 5 minutes
cpmodeler is offline Find More Posts by cpmodeler
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
CPMODELER
I used to run a 38' tournament edition for fishing charters and the owner sold the boat. I guess this is the only way I will ever get to run one again. I will take anything you can get me. And yes the ral thing was fast, 15,000 lbs and it would do 67+ mph. Thats cookin' on the water.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
teamnavy,

That would be an awesome model.
Let's say 1/12 scale, so you are looking at 38" model.
Put 3 electric outboards running brushless, and the model may hit 67.
That would be sweet.

Seriously, could you take a production deep-vee hull and modify for a scratch build.
I know the hull steps would be a pain, but i'm sure could be done.
mitchlandry is online now Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:36 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
There are a few of us in the speed electric section that are quite taken by these hulls.
I would love to build one myself and have been looking at it quite seriously.
Have a look at this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=638510&page=6, I have built a wild thing and I reckon it could be a good starting point on a hull design as it is a proven fast hull. There is a guy (JoeR1) building this boat with one step in it, we are yet to see it go as it isn't finished yet but not too far off. I do intend however to build another one with the fountain type steps. I don't think I will go as big as 38" though, it would be more around the 30" mark powered by a feigao XL or two. A scale fountain would be the ultimate of course however it might be one of those build off photos sort of thing as I don't believe that there are any plans floating about.
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:48 PM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
I have some full side photos of the original boat. The steps are the biggest problem. The hull gets less freeboard with each step and they go towards the center at an angle. Three brushless outboards HMMMMM just thinkin' about it makes me
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
Cool, do you have the photos electronically?? I would love to see them.
I think 3 outboards might be overkill, but it would look pretty good!!!
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
Deestingray,
No, They are in print but I will see what I can do about scanning them. Actually Fountain is now making the real boat with 4 300hp outboards. It will do 80+. I think if I try to replecate the weight of the boat in relation to the size it might really haul. Weight is your friend offshore!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
The photo's from the website would be a good start.
The top view is pretty close to the correct dimensions in beam when you lengthen accordingly. The bow and stern view would really help though.

Good thing about the TE, you could use the front cabin to house electronics to counter the weight of the big outboards.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:31 AM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
Actually those views from the website are for the 31' TE. I have some good shots of the 38' TE. Work is kinda' crazy right now but I think I can get something this evening. Try this link this is the boat I used to run. I really do miss it.

http://www.robrady.com/graphics-promo-navy.html

I am going to try to replecate the hull with a celofoam sandwich. Just like they use kelgelcell between two fiberglass mats.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:33 AM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
Hey Mitch,
I went to Westbury in Houston. Grew up there. Got to Rockport as fast as I could.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
teamnavy,

Looked at the website again, the pics under 31TE and the 38TE are different. But they may be for a different boat as you pointed out.

I started out in Houston, did most of my growing up in Louisiana, then came back to Houston for work. Would much more rather stay in Louisiana for the fishing. Still make it back every so ofter though.

If the boat is out of water, can you take some pics of full profile, bow shot and stern shot?
Last edited by mitchlandry; Jan 15, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
Fishin' in Rockport
Rockport, Texas
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
I can't find the information I had on the boat. I have some photos of it running but I never thought to take measurements or photos of the bottom. I am going to keep looking. Cpmodeler can you take some shots of your boat? What I am really interested in is making a mold to produce boat hulls for the local hs. All of this is going to lead to a full scale fishing boat for me . Homemade of course. I figure it is easier to make mistakes on a small scale first.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnavy
All of this is going to lead to a full scale fishing boat for me . Homemade of course.
That will be an interesting project to watch.