SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:28 AM
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
Discussion
Yet Another K/P Centurion hack, The ARUP...

Howdy, Friends,

About 20 years ago I built a rubber powered model of the Arup and couldn't get it to fly worth a dang. But, never one to fully give up on a project, now I'm giving it another shot.

Except for the Full RIver 90mAh cell, all the rest of the airborn electronics and drive system are fairly stock K/P Cessna stuff. The all-up weight came in at 14 grams. The construction is my usual balsa and tissue.

We won't get back into the gym for a couple of weeks. And then I expect to go through some flight trimming nightmares. But if I can get it to fly, it'll be cool... If it doesn't fly, I'll have some fun trying and parts to build another model.

For those who might doubt that there ever was such a full-scale airplane, take a look at:

The flying "Heel Lift" - Arup S2 and S4 flying wings (1 min 55 sec)

Wish me luck, folks,

--del
del is offline Find More Posts by del
Last edited by del; Jan 12, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
393 Posts
Del,

Very nice! The Arup has always been one of my favorites and I have the Model bullder plan squirreled away to do some day. Good luck on the maiden!

Bob
bselman is offline Find More Posts by bselman
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:44 PM
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
Howdy, Bob,

The plan from Model Builder, at least the one I have, is a re-print of a 1930's issue of MAN. It resembles the original vaguely at best..

If I can get the thing to fly, I'll try to make better plans available.

--del
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:56 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
The planform is unusal to say the least, but since we've had lots of flying wings (like Depron Dave's Skyray and a few others) there doesn't seem to be any reason this one won't fly. I do wonder about the rudder, though, and think an elevon control with a fixed rudder would be easier to make work. The CG will be farther forward than you think reasonable...

BTW, Del, nice tissue job!
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Dorin, that is absolutely awesome!!!!
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:30 AM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Del,

Your ARUP looks great! Like Mike says the CG will probably need to be very far forward. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:58 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,860 Posts
Verry neat, and you have to love You Tube. Are you going to be at E-Fest? I'd love to see this beauty fly.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:22 PM
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
Thanks for the kudo's, folks. Let's hope I can get her flying.

Jerry & Mike: I thought about elevons, but I don't have time to hack the Parkzone transmitter, and other systems are heavier if you want servos. And yes on the CG location... I built a proof of concept test glider and found that the CG wanted to be way forward.

Azar: Nope, I won't be at E-fest this year. Two reasons: I doubt that I'll have enough gym-time to get the ARUP trimmed. And E-fest seems to be significantly less micro-friendly than other meets. I'm looking forward to the meet held in a small gym during the Toledo show. And, of course, the next JR meet..

--del