HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:35 AM
Central Florida. USA
Joined Mar 2008
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Ha! Eloquently put....well, I ended up going with one of those PowerEdge 2650 502W supplies as linked above, specifically this one which I snagged with an offer of $30 shipped. Seems like a bargain at 41A for $30. We'll have to see how many watts the large diameter 7-spoke prop pulls and how much thrust she puts out.

LOL. You could get two of them, wrap them in a ducted fan cowling and power up an F-15 Eagle or the like...

MadMax
MadMax389 is offline Find More Posts by MadMax389
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:49 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
...only problem is you need a *really* long AC power lead.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Dave - How is the Dell PS working out ? Did you have to load the 5V rail to get it to regulate ?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Wouldn't I like to know. Man I need some help with this one. I did a fair amount of work trying to get this thing to fire up. After testing a lot of pin connections (resorted to random, not my std. M.O.) I thought I had found a three pin combination that worked.

Well, long story short, it will now power on and supplies 12V, but cuts off immediately under load; so the problem of power on and sustained operation is not solved.

I've done a fair amount of research on these power supplies, but can not find good information or documentation to solve this problem. Any ideas or things to try would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, it is a relatively compact and powerful supply with a quiet fan, but I can't figure out how to get the power out!

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:39 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
Sounds like you need to load the 5volt rail.

It should be as simple as grounding the green wire and putting a 3-5Amp load on the red- black wires. Then use the yellow 12volt for you charger.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:47 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Hgihflier,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need a touch more help. Looking at te pic above, two of the large spades are positive (12V) and two of them are ground. Their are a bunch of small pins in between, some of which are +5V, some are ground, and some are of random low voltage, .23V for example.

How can I identify the "green wire?" When a load is placed between ground and various +5V pins either nothing occurs, or in the case of the top left pin the fan starts for a split second and then the PS cuts off power.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:21 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
DAvid when I first saw your post on these I thought ,if he can figure out how to turn it on (make it work) these just may be a great alternate to the IBM 235s

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=31

which never seem to be available at $20 shipped anymore.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:35 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
everyday - I have been able to get the guy on ebay to ship me 4 at a time for actual shipping +-
I have sold several to friends, etc.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Apr 09, 2009, 08:48 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
PowerEdge 2650

Any updates on the PowerEdge 2650 power supply? They sure are nice and cheap.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Apr 09, 2009, 09:16 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
http://feathermerchantrc.com
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Apr 09, 2009, 09:40 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
He is using different power supplies.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:34 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
I now have three good choices on my website. The 46A one will actually do 86A on 240V
Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:37 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
He is using different power supplies.
I was responding to the title of the thread "What power supply should I get?". I know feathermerchant, and he has some good supplies.

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:44 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
I've been following a couple of PC power supply conversion threads here because I did that too until I found these server supplies. It can be a lot of work/time for 10-15A. Sometimes you cannot get the supply to work well at all. I had to have several to run my chargers and finally found that I can run 4 at a time on supplies like these I am selling. I found I'd rather fly than work on equipment so I started selling to my friends at the field then at flyins and now on the web. I've had no complaints so far.
Old Apr 09, 2009, 11:29 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
I've been following a couple of PC power supply conversion threads here because I did that too until I found these server supplies. It can be a lot of work/time for 10-15A. Sometimes you cannot get the supply to work well at all. I had to have several to run my chargers and finally found that I can run 4 at a time on supplies like these I am selling. I found I'd rather fly than work on equipment so I started selling to my friends at the field then at flyins and now on the web. I've had no complaints so far.
Yep, great little business model. How is the noise level on the fans for these? I understand the smaller unit is rather loud.. Like a server rack.

I currently use a PC power supply, and it cost me nothing as I built it out of stuff I had sitting in my electronics junk pile. Anyhow, it has served me well, but the fan is starting to die on it (wonderful sounds) and I'm upgrading chargers and battery sizes, so thought these server PS might be the next logical step.

Besides, I like a little project from time to time.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor