HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 12, 2008, 03:33 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,053 Posts
Forgive me but I fail to see how your explanation says anything contradictory to mine.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:00 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
Oh I thought the Wasp was a 300.
My Hurricane 200 has slightly longer blades but my Wasp V3 FP blades have wider chord. Lengthwise from main shaft to tail shaft the my Wasp V3 is about 5mm longer.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:43 AM
Registered User
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
Gino CP, Shakespear (owner of Lils-Futaba Hobby shop) just called me last sunday, cause he just saw me flying a Copter X and other Helicopter inside the Mall....... he said when the Copter X 200 arrived, he willing to lend it to me for product review.

Its somebody got one, please let me know, will take a video and upload it to YouTube.

Ellion
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:17 AM
Registered User
Scotts Hill, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
444 Posts
[QUOTE=rcboosted] I've ran 335mm blades on my 450 before, and I do feel the extra stability and reduced cyclic speed.

QUOTE]
RCBoosted
By reduced cyclic speed do you mean the rapidity that the heli changes directions in response to a stick input?

Mahbouni
By reducing chord near the root of the blade am I moving that 80% max lift point out to say 82% increasing stability and what effect does that movement have on agility?

Logically, it would seem to me, that moving that point outword would increase agility as there would be more leverage.

Thanks
Hill
hill0046 is offline Find More Posts by hill0046
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:01 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,053 Posts
Without doing the mathematics I would guess that the center of lift would move a little bit. However, the down draft near the center of the disc is obstructed by the body of the helicopter and I'm not sure hopw much of it is ever usable. Stability is brought by centrifugal forces and independent of the center of lift. You can increase stability by moving the center of gravity outwards, which is why blades should be weighted near the tips.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:51 AM
Registered User
Scotts Hill, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni
Without doing the mathematics I would guess that the center of lift would move a little bit. However, the down draft near the center of the disc is obstructed by the body of the helicopter and I'm not sure hopw much of it is ever usable. Stability is brought by centrifugal forces and independent of the center of lift. You can increase stability by moving the center of gravity outwards, which is why blades should be weighted near the tips.
Thank you for the answer it helps my level of understanding a lot!
So headspeed=more centrifugal forces= more stability?
So then it's balancing the rpm at which you have enough lift to hover against the max rpm needed for the agility you want, for your level of flying with stability the trade off. 3D for the advanced pilot would require more difference between hover rpm and max rpm. You would set the blades up manipulating pitch, diameter, dar and shape for agility and headroom. A newbie or a scale pilot would want more stability and the only headroom requirement would be for bailing out of a dumbthumb, assuming you were past drilling it into the ground every flight where parts costs would go up due to headspeed.
hill0046 is offline Find More Posts by hill0046
Last edited by hill0046; Jan 12, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:30 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,053 Posts
Yes, more headspeed=more centrifugal forces= more stability
Also, heavier blades=more centrifugal forces= more stability
And, longer blades=faster blade tip speed=more centrifugal forces= more stability

It is normally recommended that beginner pilots use a lower headspeed, which make the heli less responsive and reduces damage during a crash. When I was learning to hover I personally disliked lower headspeeds because it made the cyclic control feel washy. I found it much easier to control the heli with higher headspeed where the cyclic control was crisp. You can always tone it down with the swashmix and pitch curves.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:48 AM
Registered User
Scotts Hill, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
444 Posts
Thank you that was very helpful and I appreciate it a lot
Hill
hill0046 is offline Find More Posts by hill0046
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:03 PM
Team Mulikow
Gino CP's Avatar
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
That's great Lazy-B. Let's meet up when you have it up and running.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
686 Posts
I have one on the way. Can I use the motor I took off the Axe CP? 2900kv? If it's not right I'll use something else.
Lota Fun R is offline Find More Posts by Lota Fun R
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:03 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
686 Posts
This is micro heli's 101.

Those complaining about the extra weight would also be complaining about it breaking parts when you crashed it also if it had plastic to save weight.

I'll let all of you know about this bird and how it works out in full detail. No sponsors here, I'll tell it like it is.

On the upside, the 2900kv I've been trying to sell for a long time might be just perfect for the 200. 2800 recommended? 2900 should be perfect if it's not too big. this IS a micro heli and smaller is better.


The new digital HS56mg might be perfect? Not sure the actual number for that servo? but it is new and soon to be available.

I have two Trex 450s and the HS65MG servos are the shiznit, I don't even bother looking to see if I damaged a servo after a hard landing. I came in too hot and hard today and all that happened was a bent flybar and spindle.. I've done worse in the past and nothing wrong. The other plastic gear servos would usually need two replaced after a hard get off.

It takes time to learn to fly and having the right stuff helps. Less time wrenching and more time flying, pocket book likes it too.

It's $35.99 for the 65MGs and you will "likely" never have to buy one again. How does that sound?

Sorry, I'll get off the soap box....
Lota Fun R is offline Find More Posts by Lota Fun R
Last edited by Lota Fun R; Jan 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:06 AM
Registered User
microhelidude's Avatar
Joined Dec 2007
95 Posts
This looks like an interesting heli. Please let us know Lotta Fun R how yours goes.
microhelidude is online now Find More Posts by microhelidude
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
www.insideheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota Fun R
This is micro heli's 101.

Those complaining about the extra weight would also be complaining about it breaking parts when you crashed it also if it had plastic to save weight.
I got no idea what you are trying to say there. Weight is a BIG factor when you get into small helis. No one is saying it should be plastic to save weight. Look at that model close and you can see MANY places where they could have save some weight. 20grams on a model this size means ALOT.

SPaRX
sparx is offline Find More Posts by sparx
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx
I got no idea what you are trying to say there. Weight is a BIG factor when you get into small helis. No one is saying it should be plastic to save weight. Look at that model close and you can see MANY places where they could have save some weight. 20grams on a model this size means ALOT.

SPaRX
Why play stupid? Just make your point.
Lota Fun R is offline Find More Posts by Lota Fun R
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:21 AM
www.insideheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota Fun R
I have two Trex 450s and the HS65MG servos are the shiznit, I don't even bother looking to see if I damaged a servo after a hard landing. I came in too hot and hard today and all that happened was a bent flybar and spindle.. I've done worse in the past and nothing wrong. The other plastic gear servos would usually need two replaced after a hard get off.

It takes time to learn to fly and having the right stuff helps. Less time wrenching and more time flying, pocket book likes it too.

It's $35.99 for the 65MGs and you will "likely" never have to buy one again. How does that sound?

Sorry, I'll get off the soap box....
Hmmm... I have a 450 heli that is a moss pit of CopterX and Align stuff. All CNC Head and Tail. Alum Frame bla bla bla. I run the HXT 9g Servos on mine. I paid $4 for each servo and $1 for replacement gears. I bought 6 servos and 4 sets of gears that way in event of a crash, I can replace the bad server and repair it later. In the last 3 months of flying I have plowed my 450 in multiple times. I have stripped gears twice. At my current skill level I am flying loops, rolls, flips and high speed circuits. These servos have not failed on me yet and perform flawlessly.

For your $108 worth of servos, I can buy my 6 servos and around 60 gear sets (figured less due to shipping costs). Now let me tell you, if I crash enough to burn through 60 gears, its time for me to fine a new hobby.

SPaRX
sparx is offline Find More Posts by sparx
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools