HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:20 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
exactly. and the more glue you use the better it takes impacts, but heavier of course.
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:53 PM
I forgot the transmitter!
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
The paint helps as well. its stiffens up the fibers. Thats what makes this process so cool. All of the process's are specifically used to creat that middle point of good looks, strength, and lightness. I got a full fuse of my spit built up tonight. its drying as i type. Im going to have to buy a new kit since I ruined my last one trying out a heated drying process. So this attempt is only a weight test since the mold is kinda deformed now, but if its under a gram then ive found the solution. Wish me luck.
gguy is offline Find More Posts by gguy
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
good luck! I can't wait till tomorrow to see how my Super Sabre dried! I'll be sure to get a weight and strength test for you right away
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
Cool....looking forward to it. Same here as well. Ill see how my spit dried overnight.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:14 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Ok, here it is.
It weighed 4 grams, but I have to cut out some of the bottom for the cheater hole. It will most likely end up being 3 grams. This is a fairly large model for 1/48, its actually about 11" long.

Things to note:
I must have missed a few places when painting on the glue, in some areas of the bottom its rather flimsy. Also - the edges of the tissue show up. Next time I will definitely used ripped tissue instead. As you can see there are lots of panel details that came through which is nice.

To apply the decals, I'll slide this back onto the plastic model, that way it won't warp.
Last edited by metroidrc; Jan 14, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:03 PM
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
Awesome! Now you just gotta find a way you like to mold that canopy. I finally pulled my peice of the mold this afternoon. with the profile inserted, it came to 1.4gr not to bad. I could make it lighter in some spots if I did'nt put the tissue on so thick on one section of the fuse. But im pleased with the results. Post some pics later.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:55 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidrc
Ok, here it is.
It weighed 4 grams, but I have to cut out some of the bottom for the cheater hole. It will most likely end up being 3 grams. This is a fairly large model for 1/48, its actually about 11" long.

Things to note:
I must have missed a few places when painting on the glue, in some areas of the bottom its rather flimsy. Also - the edges of the tissue show up. Next time I will definitely used ripped tissue instead. As you can see there are lots of panel details that came through which is nice.

To apply the decals, I'll slide this back onto the plastic model, that way it won't warp.

looks great josh!
i can't wait to see the finished airplane.
ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
thanks! now the tricky part is putting on the rest of the airplane... the profile is built but I think I'm gonna redo it, and I want to reinforce some areas near the wings so I can get a firm grip for hand launch.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:38 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Ok I actually am making progress believe it or not.
Here we have everything sitting on the scale, except for the battery, stab, and elevator muscle wire servo. AUW will be just under 25 grams.
I opted to use the plantraco mini jst rx and jetscream edf with a 2 cell. I'm getting around 20 grams of thrust on it so we should be good to go.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 05:56 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,244 Posts
Starting to come together real nice Josh!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
thanks Dave... I'll try to really "pretty" it up before I actually fly it this time. It flew ok as a profile when it weighed 43 grams, so as 25 grams it should really float - and that's sort of my goal. I've been stuck doing indoor lately in this annoying wintertime, so I'd like it to be able to fly like a parkzone cessna 210. Of course it would probably be a little faster than that... but should be able to slow down if I make the wings undercambered.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidrc
heres the fuselage, it was still wet when I took this shot so it will look alot smoother after it goes in the microwave and dries over the weekend.
That looks great Metro. You guys are definitely covering new ground.
I still can't get over reading about the microwave being part of the build process.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Jan 20, 2008, 06:53 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Thanks! well Bill the microwave is just my own personal touch. it kinda of tightens the tissue a bit and makes the peel off a little easier.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:46 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Here is some more progress.
I've done wings with formers and they are undercambered for maximum float.
I've applied some decals too. More to come soon.
-Josh
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:16 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,244 Posts
Did you scan the decal set before using them? That way you can print your own off each time
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged