HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Build Log
- contest - Micro EDF30 F100 Super Sabre

Ok this is my second entry to the micro edf contest.
I'm basing this entry on a 1/48 scale model of a Super Sabre.
I've already constructed the profile version, am in the process of testing it out.
My previous entry, the A4, I found much to twitchy to fly that small. The alfa A4 is twitchy enough for me, imagine a 12" span model!
The F100 has a larger wing area so that will help. Also I've got lighter weight equipment now.
Here are some specs.

2 muscle wire servos - 2 grams
2 gram esc - YGE4
4 gram berg - soon to be replaced by 2gram ar6300 - pending delivery!
edf30 with mike's motor (will get replaced by a team losi motor pending delivery) 12 grams
2 cell 250 mah - 12g
12 gram airframe

AUW 42 grams - static thrust 50 grams

I'm keeping my ailerons on the lowest rate possible. My first test was promising, but needed more elevator authority. Definitely had enough power. Flew straight as an arrow.

The fuselage will be molded from the 1/48 scale model with my tissue/wood glue technique. Pictures will follow.

-Josh
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Good luck on this one!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
Thanks Dave, you know I'll need all the help I can get. Well I've learned alot the past 5 micro jets that I've built. Each one just keeps getting better! lol
Old Jan 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
I forgot the transmitter!
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
You should to a blog build log for this one. Cant wait to see some pics.
gguy is offline Find More Posts by gguy
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:01 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
heres the fuselage, it was still wet when I took this shot so it will look alot smoother after it goes in the microwave and dries over the weekend.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
is the tissue metod stronger than foam, when compairing strength to weight?
Great super sabre by the way.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:43 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
what did you use for a mold?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:24 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
the plastic model gets covered with tissue paper and then it gets pulled off. its the technique I've been developing with some others on the forum.

its more resiliant than foam but not stronger to the touch. basically feels like a hard paper shell. its easy to make so you could do a few spares if one breaks.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:40 PM
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
in this case, its flimsyness is its strength. it will absorb the inpact of hitting a wall much better then if it were completly solid. Plus is springs right back into shape.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
gguy have you gotten any new pics or videos of yours flying yet? I feel like you've made a lot of fuselages.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
hmm your boucing back idea just gave me an idea instead of wood glue. rubber cement! how would you dilute that? 100 percent mix of rubber cement would be too heavy but diluted might give you a nice rubbery shell that could survive any impact and hold the shape well.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:51 PM
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
alot of fuses....tell me about it I did get that p-40 flying. but it was a bit heavy and extremely slugish. The spitfire i have really been having some fun with and treating it like a test bed. Mostly trying to find an inexpensive way to paint these tissue molded models. I did try your way, and it worked great. But it was a little to heavy for my tastes. Im not sure if you can tell from the picture but the fuse in the top left corner is my latest attempt that I just finished about 15min ago. weighs 0.5gr completly painted and dry. Not to bad. So in answer to your question.....yes, I have made alot of fuse's, just trying to really taking my time so that my final product of the spitfire will look the best.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:59 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
wow... that's lightweight... I'm estimating my F100 fuse will weigh 3 grams. keep in mind though that I have a high powered setup so I need all of the strength I can get. this time I went 70/30 wood glue water mix for maximum strength. I'm glad that you've adopted my technique though... nice fuselages. I can't wait to apply decals! what do you think about diluted rubber cement?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
well thats only half the fuse. By the time its all said and done though, the fuse including the profile section should come to 1.2-1.3gr and yea, the decals should make it looks amazing! The rubber idea sounds like it might work, but it would proboly be a bit heavy even if it was diluted
Last edited by gguy; Jan 13, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:16 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
so, its kinda like card? holds the shape, takes a hit, then bends back?