Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2008, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4 Posts
Discussion
Help a noob spend his money on Micro-Heli's!!

Okay, I'm hooked...again. From when I was 5 till 12 all I ever asked for Christmas was a decent RC Car. After many, many cheapo toy store cars, my family finally bought me a 1/20 RC off-road kit (a FROG if I remember right) and I loved that thing like Ralphie loved his Red Rider BB Gun . I built and re-built and crashed, and re-built and crashed, etc, etc, etc for years.

Then puberty hit,

Now I'm 35, with a 5 year old daughter and recently bought her an Air hogs Aero Ace. After seeing how much fun, and how tough that was, I went out and bought myself, er, I mean her an Air Hogs Havoc Stinger heli.

WOW, this thing is too cool. I remember many trips to the hobby shop as a kid and the owner had an RC heli at the time that was somewthing like $1,500 and I only saw it fly once b/c it was always crashing and breaking. I never thought I would ever own a RC heli. The stinger is very fun, good looking (especially at night) and seems to hover very well, but I can't seem to make it go anywhere it doesn't want to. Maybe user problems, but based on my research that's going to be more or less true with all 2ch helis.

Now I'm hooked again, primarily on the mini-micro/palm sized indoor heli's. After spending several days searching through the lists (why are these types of RTF micro's under Aircraft-Electric-Airplanes>Micro RTF instead of Micro Heli's anyway???) I'm more confused then ever at the abundance of cheap micro heli's. Can you help? Picco/Havocs/Misquitoes/Firefly's/Hornets/etc, et

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Durable (remeber that my 5 yo will most likely fly it some)
2) Easy to "fly" i.e. get it up and off the ground without it immediately diving into the wall
3) Between $20-$75~
4) would like at least one Heli that I can learn to really control. I don't care about doing loops and tricks, just to be able to walk around the house with it and have it land accurately were I want it to without crashing into the glass bulbs on the Christmas tree

Since it appears that many of these types of heli's do one thing better than the other, (and again b/c I/She will probably break a few) I was thinking of buying 2-3 of these "toy" heli's maybe a $20, a $40 and a $75 one for after she's in bed

what the heck should I buy????and what is your recommendation based on, i.e. what is the strongest point of the heli you are recommending?

THANKS!!!!!
gmasterv is offline Find More Posts by gmasterv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:10 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
You could get the havoc heli laser battle system for about $70-$80. It comes with two helis and they have a special laser battle system in which you can shoot down each other. I got one for christmas and it is awesome. I even got the glow in the dark edition set. They are pretty easy to fly, you just have to get used to it is all. They are made to fly and be shot out of the air, so they have to have some durability and i have had some hard crashes but no damage. When you shoot, the helicopter emits an infa red light that sends the other helicopter spinning. This way you do not have to take turns flying, you can fly together, and when you want to, you can battle each other. It is very fun.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:12 PM
"raven" didn't fit, heh
southeast Alaska
Joined Nov 2007
934 Posts
i would recommend the MicroMosquito/FireFly, except for the 5-year-old -- the rotors are way too fragile for a kid's learning curve

they make a "Blackout" (Tranformers) version about the same size, but i've never tried it (it's IR like the Havoc). it may be more kid-friendly, may not be

i'm so spoiled by my Mosquito's precision of control that i can't handle those crazy Havocs, heh
grandfather ra is offline Find More Posts by grandfather ra
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:19 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Apr 2007
1,679 Posts
laser battle set since you both can play together.
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:20 PM
You Down With EPP?
North Carolina
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
Welcome to RC groups,
I have a Micro mosquito V2 by Syma and I love it! Its 3 channel, very durable, hovers awesome, cool lights, what more can I say! The only mod I did is put some small rare earth magnets on the nose between the motors for front ballast because out of the box it would slowly hover backwards. Magnets make great ballast because you can actually create forward momentum by adding more weight great if you want to fly outside in a light breeze. Replacement parts are available and cost new for RTF is $30-$40 (found mine on E-bay) For the $75 range alot of guys are getting the Esky Lama V3 or V4 its a 4 chanel Heli that is Coaxial not fixed pitch that hovers great and you can fly it indoors or out on calm days make sure you get a Simulator like FMS. (which is free and about a 1000 models available to download free) FMS will teach you the basics of flying a heli and airplanes, With FMS you can use the keyboard controls but the $20 Esky simulator controller(looks and works just like a rc controller)is suggested to really get they feel of flying plus will sve you alot of money on parts you don't have to replace because you got some experience under your belt with a Sim. Here is the link for FMS: http://n-old.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
Make sure you download 2.0 Alpha 8.5 this is the most current version. Hope this helps and if you have any questions let me know. Again, welcome! If I made any typing errors sorry my 2 yaer old daughter is trying to help me
Bouwheeler is offline Find More Posts by Bouwheeler
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:25 PM
You Down With EPP?
North Carolina
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
I don't know of many 5 year olds that can operate a heli I find they like to just watch them fly! Another fun game my kids and I play is they set up army men and have their battle while I provide air support my 4 year old daughter loves this!
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:28 PM
You Down With EPP?
North Carolina
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
Hey Skiesthelimit, I saw you Hyper Flyer Avatar do you have one?
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4 Posts
Thanks all, the battling heli's do sound fun. My 5 year old had no problems with the Havoc Stinger. She can hoover (okay maybe not exactly in one postion), land softly on my hand and keep it out of the Christmas tree; which is more than I can claim!! She even can get the thing trimmed out okay! Maybe I should stick with the foamies and get her a real 4ch!

Thanks for the link to the sim, I'll definitely try it out. The Micro Misquito looked good to me as well, thats defintiely one I'll try. One more ? It seems like there are several different mini heli's called misquito. Are there different models/manufacturers? which is the best? where to buy?

Thanks again!!
gmasterv is offline Find More Posts by gmasterv
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:46 PM
Ski, fly or take pics?
Lakewood, CO
Joined Oct 2007
731 Posts
My first (and only) helo - and we love playing with them.

Havoc Laser Battle Set (2 helos, 2 controllers) - $249.99
$89.95 from Sharper Image
coloradoskier is offline Find More Posts by coloradoskier
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:07 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
[QUOTE]Hey Skiesthelimit, I saw you Hyper Flyer Avatar do you have one?

Yeah i got a hyper flyer and it is the best 3 channel plane that i have. I can fly it in the same space as my aero ace bipe, but at the same time it can haul. I love how it can turn on a dime. The only flaw is the battery life which does not last long, so i might upgrade to a lipo sooner or later.

I also got my havoc heli laser battle set at walmart for i believe $70. It was on sale.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5679520 it is still that price
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:08 PM
Frequent Flyer
Lenexa, KS
Joined Jan 2007
473 Posts
um...you want to take a look at the walkera 5#6 or 5g6 - it's a 4 channel heli about the same size as the stinger. awesome control. will cost you about $120 though with shipping. heli's are very addictive though, and even more costly than planes (per my experience at least)...because of the constant crashing and buying new parts...so proceed with caution

For more info on the walkera 5#6 go over to the heli coax board.
glgaglros is offline Find More Posts by glgaglros
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:28 PM
"raven" didn't fit, heh
southeast Alaska
Joined Nov 2007
934 Posts
i have the ITC MicroMosquito (from Radio Shack) and have had no problems at all
grandfather ra is offline Find More Posts by grandfather ra
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:15 PM
You Down With EPP?
North Carolina
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
I have the Syma model 608 Micro Mosquito clone it has a different rotor system and is very durable here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5A0cr_XCJ0
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
I second the 5-6 it is a real 4 channel coax with proper servos, 4in1, fully trimmable and takes a replaceable lipo. Basically you can walk behind it through the house and land it on the coffee table. I also have a Lama 3 which is superb but bigger. The 5-6 cost me $99 shipped and the Lama $81 shipped. Either one knocks spots off any of the 3 channel helis IMHO, that's not to say that they are just as much fun. I have a $20 2 channel heli that is a blast, but it is more of a toy.
vaporboy is offline Find More Posts by vaporboy
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:47 PM
Ski, fly or take pics?
Lakewood, CO
Joined Oct 2007
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit
I also got my havoc heli laser battle set at walmart for i believe $70. It was on sale.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5679520 it is still that price
Only if it is in stock at a store, not available online.

My local wally worlds have been decimated.

Here is mosquito pricing:

Micro Mosquito - $30.99 at Amazon
$34.53 from DealExtreme
$49.99 from Radio Shack
coloradoskier is offline Find More Posts by coloradoskier