SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:11 AM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
Build Log
First Ritewing Build

I finally collected the necessary materials to start my TL-50. I have studied the CD by Klique and read the build log by Atom1025. Thanks guys, I would have been lost without you and may still get lost before I finish.
I am shooting for a relatively docile setup for this build. I have another TL50 core set and a Slice Kit "waiting in the wings" pun intended.
I will be using an ARC 28-37-3 with a 6X4 prop, 2 2200mah 3s lipos in parallel, and a 40 amp esc. Servos will be Blue Bird BMS 380MG.
I picked up a 30 watt Harbor Freight soldering iron and installed the drywall screw to make the slots for the 5.3mm OD carbon fiber tube spars. It didn't cut as quickly as the one Klique uses but was adequate. The 3m 90 spray adhesive works a lot better than the 3m 77 I used on my Zagi. I am using white Gorilla Glue on the spars.
The wife is going to loose the use of her stained glass studio till I get this built.
The exhaust system I made will come in handy to vent the fumes out into the cold Michigan air. I will try to post a picture of my progress. Bear with me, I haven't done this before.[IMG]img_1672.jpg[/IMG]
ab8ug is offline Find More Posts by ab8ug
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:14 AM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
Well that didn't work. How does one post a jpg file with the post?
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:42 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
scroll down and click on the Manage Attachments button.
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:47 AM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
Thanks. Here is the first picture
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:54 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
With the batts you have in mind you'll need to push everything as far forward as possible. Keep the glass light behind the cg. Butt the end of the motor right up to the main spar. You will need lead so expect that. Somewhere between 4-7oz of lead with those batts.

Do you have any standard servos? The weight of a standard servo will really benefit you and make CG more attainable. Even if they are plastic geared thats fine.

The BMS are fine just a little lighter then most. They will work great for the slice.

Keep up the good work and post more pics.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:54 AM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
I took Atom1025's advice. I located the motor as far forward as possible and went with Hitec HS 300 standard size servos. The battery compartment is a little oversize for my batts in case I change my mind later. Here is the layout and a pic of my modified soldering gun for cutting the foam.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:02 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,784 Posts
Abug is there a reason why you cut in the main spar?
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jan 09, 2008, 01:10 PM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Abug is there a reason why you cut in the main spar?
ck
It was a core that didn't have the hole drilled. That is not your fault. I bought it from you as a second. I tried drilling the hole in some scrap and it wandered all over the place even with a jig. So I just used the ole drywall screw trick with shims under the straight edge to keep the groove square and plumb to the root.
Then I glued it in with gorilla glue. I did this in the beds with weights to make sure it came out straight.
I am cutting the openings now. Just took a break. The 100 watt wen gun didn't like the wire setup. The case started to melt. Time to break out the good weller 140 watt gun.

Wayne
Old Jan 09, 2008, 01:15 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,784 Posts
Got ya bro,i was thinkin that might be the case.
Looks good bud.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8ug
It was a core that didn't have the hole drilled. That is not your fault. I bought it from you as a second. I tried drilling the hole in some scrap and it wandered all over the place even with a jig. So I just used the ole drywall screw trick with shims under the straight edge to keep the groove square and plumb to the root.
Then I glued it in with gorilla glue. I did this in the beds with weights to make sure it came out straight.
I am cutting the openings now. Just took a break. The 100 watt wen gun didn't like the wire setup. The case started to melt. Time to break out the good weller 140 watt gun.

Wayne
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jan 09, 2008, 02:41 PM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
The weller 140 watt gun works a lot better. It melts your foam, not in your hand. I had to practice some trigger control. It melts the foam a lot faster.
I didn't leave large enough pillars for the velcro hold downs for the battery bay covers. I simply gooped some blocks in place in the corners. Battery bay cover and electronics bay cover are cut. I will install them after burying the servo rods.
I am learning as I go. I figured some others could benefit from my mistakes. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks.

Wayne
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:22 PM
aka WarpedWingNut
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Dec 2004
297 Posts
Wayne -

You sure you haven't built one before ? It's looking really good !!

Dan
PlusRC is offline Find More Posts by PlusRC
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:54 PM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
I've only built a Zaggi Tazz. I've repaired a lot of planes.
Thanks for the compliment.
I zeroed the servos, cut in for the control rods, and gooped them in place. Now it is time to let things dry overnight. Tomorrow I will glass the battery tray and install the covers. I am using some used parts for this learning experience. Fixed income and hobbies don't mix too well.

Wayne
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:35 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
If its not to late I would cut a pocket in ahead of the batts so you can stuff it with lead.

Looking really good and quick progress.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:10 PM
West Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
If its not to late I would cut a pocket in ahead of the batts so you can stuff it with lead.

Looking really good and quick progress.
Thanks for the heads up Atom. I made a shelf in the nose for the extra weight. I figure I can find out how much weight I will need in the nose when it is finished and then cast a weight to fit on the shelf. I will also have some room on either side of the batteries for extra weight. Thickness of the batteries will not allow for weight slabbed to them.
Today I have capped the servos with blocks of foam and attempted to glass the floor and sides of the battery bay. I had a heck of a time getting the glass to conform to the uneven surface and the sides. Maybe I should have used thinned goop to make the floor more even. Here are some pictures of the shelf in the nose and the new cover.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,158 Posts
Looks real good, you are on your way with a good start..
It's funny the best looking RiteWing I built was not for me LOL it was for Vinnie @ JustGoFly....
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa