HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2008, 11:42 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined May 2001
200 Posts
Discussion
Oil in autorotation bearing??

My autorotation one-way bearing is a little oily. This is understandable after a few years of flying with main shaft bearing oil seeping down there. Now it is starting to not clutch very well. It grabs to fly, but fails to clutch sometimes on shutdown.
The rollers, and roller holding springs look fine.

Should a one-way bearing be cleaned absolutely dry with a solvent, or should there be a small amount of lubricant always in there to inhibit rust or for correct functioning?

Comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Russ.
rtront is offline Find More Posts by rtront
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2008, 11:47 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
Hi Russ

The bearing should be clean but have a small amount of lube so it will work freely.

If it isn't grabbing well, check the shaft. If the shaft is polished the needle bearings won't grip as well, try roughing it up a little with 3m pad or 400 grit.

AMA next weekend!!
FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:27 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,009 Posts
Flush all the old oil out first Ė some bearings come with very poor quality oil from the factory.

The type of oil is critical to proper operation. I use Tri-Flow oil available at most hobby shops. Also automatic transmission fluid would very well Ė some think itís the best.

I donít think I would be roughing anything up but I have never tried that. I have never had any problems when proper lubrication is used.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:53 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
I am not saying to rough it up, just take off the polished look for a better grip surface.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:06 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined May 2001
200 Posts
The problem is not the clutch properly grabbing and allowing spoolup.
Actually, the problem is that it doesn't release and properly slip during spool down.
Fortunately, I haven't needed to do an emergency autorotation.
Do we really think it should have some oil in it? I just got a new one from Mikado last night and it seems very dry.

Comments? Thanks, Russ
rtront is offline Find More Posts by rtront
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:26 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
I soak all my one-way bearings in auto trans fluid overnight. Its the highest synthetic fluid out there. If there was something better they would use that in transmissions.

Triflow is also a good lube and I use that on other bearings etc..
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:01 PM
Das Universus Elektrikus
NM, USA
Joined Mar 2002
3,309 Posts
Yep clean it real good and use some synthetic ATF.

Auto transmisissions have several big sprags in them depending on how many speeds they are.

If it doesn't release everytime it's worn out and time for new oneway sprag bearing and hub.
Albig is offline Find More Posts by Albig
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:44 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , I been known to use both , grease and triflo , triflo more than any though , havent used teflon grease in a while , that was in my MA machines, which Fred , I kinda understand what youre saying , but my MA Ions whats polished and never had a problem, well untill they wore down some, I got a shaft that came out of my trex , it wore it down about 30 to 40thousandth before it started digging into the shaft and look like waves , it got bad within a couply of flights and the tail started doing alittle wagging , filed it down , and flew 5 or 6 flights till the new one arrived.

Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo