SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much of your own design have you done?
Blank sheet of paper and just a little plagarizing from other designs 198 79.84%
Modify other people's designs with changes to outlines, moments or structure 30 12.10%
Modify kits slightly but never change the basic outlines 13 5.24%
Only as the designer intended other than minor equipment changes. 7 2.82%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:25 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
How many of you have designed your own models?

Like the title says. A little less intense than the "who has produced their own kits" thread.

Note the bit about plagaizing in the first selection. This is an admission that most of us lean at least a little on what we already know.

There's not many of us that truly step out of line and move off into totally untried territory. There's only a few of them that I can think of and one of the most recent seems to have this thing for the fine arts.... namely dancing.....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Last edited by BMatthews; Dec 22, 2002 at 01:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2002, 02:28 PM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
Currently doing a complete scratch build from technical drawings. The only thing that I would say is borrowed may be the airfoil design. Other than that it will be completely my own.
knight of Ni is offline Find More Posts by knight of Ni
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:14 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
Mike, what kind of model is it? And are these YOUR technical drawings?

Always good to hear about people creating something new.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:16 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
What the heck. Let's get some graphics in here too. Here's a glider design I'm working wtih on and off over the past few months....
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:13 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
At the time of my vote, it's the only entry in the 2nd category. I enlarged a set of plans 200%, changed some outlines to closer match the scale prototype, corrected an obvious error in the cabane strut arrangement, modified many structural details, including reduction of most of the wood sizes by 50%, and changed the power from glow to "E". I still wouldn't call that much change an "own design", but a combination of the designer's ideas and my own preferences and experience. I have been very satisfied with the end result.

BTW, Knight's plane will be a model of a truly Canadian design. I'll let him reveal the name when he's ready, but it's a 'beaut'. There are no flying models kitted for it that I know of, so it's definitely a scratch project, from plans to end result.

Brad
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Dec 23, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ghost
Wichita
Joined Dec 2002
25 Posts
I designed one from scratch and buried it 4 seconds into its maiden flight. Needless to say, the engineering skills weren't quite there but hey, it was fun! That whole weight/power ratio was beyond me at the time.

After seeing some of the stuff people here design, I've been inspired to give it another go. Will defiantly get some help this time however.
DeGrey is offline Find More Posts by DeGrey
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:00 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,565 Posts
I guess the nature of this thread is such that you'll get a lot of people posting & voting who have designed their own, which will skew the results.

I've certainly designed my own from blank paper upwards and even had one published, but nowadays mostly build kits due to time pressures. Don't recall ever building a kit fully stock though

BTW I'm not sure about the "plagiarising" bit, are you saying (for example) that any model which has ribs and spars in the wing cannot be considered an "original" design ?!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:19 AM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Glover
BTW I'm not sure about the "plagiarising" bit
I always heard that if you copy one person's work, it's plagiarising; if you copy several people's work it's RESEARCH!
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:35 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
I always heard that if you copy one person's work, it's plagiarising; if you copy several people's work it's RESEARCH!
Precisely....

I suppose I shouldn't have tossed that bit in but I just couldn't help myself.

Is it plagiarising if you use the happy median for a charactaristic? I guess not. But if you use a wing tip shape that someone else has then it could be. We are all guilty of plagiarising the Schumman tip at least in sketches I would think...

But I personally like to think of it as "inspiration". At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it....
Old Dec 27, 2002, 02:46 PM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
I have designed and flown a few of my own over the years.

Right now I have a 2-metre and 3.2 metre for TD and F3J and a 1.5 metre slope racer all three of which use quadruple taper planform wings.

A wingeron, a couple of flying wings and a Rodent inspired high speed ship, all of which I designed from the ground up.

Making molds and cutting cores, bagging etc. is very time consuming but flying ones own creations is very rewarding.

I now have access to a digital camera and I will post some photos' of my planes in the Gallery.

Tony Dempsey
Tony D. is offline Find More Posts by Tony D.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 04:59 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Here are 3 of my own "design" - a sclae models except the Bandit which is a scaled down BVM Bandit. All construction is self designed.

http://home.online.no/~hlonning
Very rewarding for me to be able to do this stuff
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Dec 29, 2002, 02:32 PM
Fort Wayne,IN
Joined Dec 2002
11 Posts
SAM designs

I only take hand-drawn designs from the '30s and re-create them on AutoCAD so I am not a designer. On ACAD they can be scaled up or down with some alterations to use standard balsa stock and this provides digital info for laser cutting.
There are some stuctural changes to accomodate the new size and movable control surfaces that were not part of the original free flight plane but the appearance will be accurate.
They sure look great sailing around up there!
Donk is offline Find More Posts by Donk
Old Dec 29, 2002, 07:24 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
That's a fine lookin' bird ya got there Donk. But I have to admit you've got me stumped. I don't recognise that one at all. The wing looks quite "Lanzo'ish" but the tail surfaces don't register with any of my grey cells at all. And this is coming from a fairly avid Old Timer.

So 'fess up. What is that?
Old Dec 29, 2002, 07:34 PM
Fort Wayne,IN
Joined Dec 2002
11 Posts
That (correctly) is a Lanzo Racer of 1936 vintage. My favorite by far. Easy to build and flies so steady, even under high power.
I have designed it and my friend makes a short kit for 280, 660, 800 (mine) square inch versions. The 660 can be used with an Astro .05 motor. I have a 1050 version but we have never kitted it or even plotted it.
The famous Lanzo Bomber came out the same year. You can see the feathers are almost identical. Racer has a slightly higher aspect ratio.

Originally the Racer had a 12 foot wingspan!

That is a lifting tail and the big rudder really has authority.
Donk is offline Find More Posts by Donk
Last edited by Donk; Dec 29, 2002 at 07:46 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 11:43 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
<slaps heel of hand to forehead>.... Ah, of course! Now I remember. One of my SAM8 flying buddies has a full size copy flying on RC. I've only seen it a couple of times and that was a few years back. That's why it looks so Lanzo'ish......