Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:58 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
65 MPH!!!!!!!!!

YEA BABY!!!

DAVE! Get those gyro's wound up!

Antonio:

I have a question for you. Are the two rear wheel halves on your ARX the same design and made out of the same plastic as the Ricky wheel?
The rear wheel of my jump bike is starting to break apart from the landings. The screws that hold the two halves together are pulling through the plastic.

dave...
davcat is offline Find More Posts by davcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:59 AM
CNC Tweaker
Joined Oct 2006
322 Posts
I apologize also, Jpop! My opinion is that ceramics are just a waste of money on Ricky. Yes, they have some superior qualities, but they are eclipsed by the price. You need 8 steering bearings, 5 x 10 mm., and 4 for the rear wheel, 13 x 6 mm. Ya might pick up 2 more of the big 'uns for the front while you're at it. So, the electric gyro is basically done Dave, provided the test units work satisfactorily? The more I look at modifying mine, the more obvious it becomes that it'll take a lot of work and won't ultimately make much difference in longevity, so it kinda takes the wind outta my sails to do it. PLEASE keep us updated 7 times per day on the progress! Chris
Toyranosaur is offline Find More Posts by Toyranosaur
Old Sep 03, 2008, 08:17 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky bearings

Hey Jason

When you are installing the bearings in the steering head you might have to use a bit of emery cloth on the bolts. The bolts are a tight fit in the bearings. You don't want to force them. I put the bolts in a drill press and spun them at low speed and ran the cloth over them. When you are putting everything back together don't tighten the bolts to tight or the steering head will bind. Also check the aluminum steering arm for burs on the top side. Run a file over it to make sure it is flat. It can also cause your steering to bind.

Grind a bit off of the movable steering head where it contacts the fixed mount. It will allow the steering head to turn more.

Some of the guys here take the spring steering set up right out and make it direct steering. All of my bikes have the spring setup. Have a look through the threads and search for steering. Lots of different ways to do it.

dave...
Old Sep 03, 2008, 10:09 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Hi Dave,

our wheels are made of ABS and have a similar shape to Ricky's one but you can't use our wheel shells on Ricky gyro.

We have alu wheel hub on each side and we don't have that "nose" on the right side where the Ricky gyro gear are, thickness is also different.

Take a look at our website and you can see the difference

www.armodelling.com

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Sep 04, 2008, 05:14 PM
Stop that Pigeon!!!
Americana,SP
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
Stupid question..

Hi!!

i have a couple stupid question about Rickys gyro and steering..

Why Rickys bike need a gyro and all others on road bike doesnt?
that gyro is only for slow speed?
can i take off my gyro?

Why Ricks steering sistem is not a direct link like on road bikes?
can i change it?

can you explain me please??

thanxxx!!

cheers
Topolino2 is offline Find More Posts by Topolino2
Old Sep 04, 2008, 08:52 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky gyro + steering

Hi Topolino2

The only stupid question is the one not asked! LOL!!

Well I can tell you for sure that Ricky can not run without the gyro weight. I tried it. He just flops from one side to the other. I am guessing that the wheels are too light without the gyro. I don't have a road bike but from what I understand they have some sort of wheel/tire weights????? I think that is what gives them the gyro effect. The road guys should be able to shed a little light on that. Ricky might run ok fast on pavement with some heavier wheels. Running him on the dirt or slow might not be so good.

As for the steering being direct. A lot of guys have done just that. My Ricky's still have the spring set up. I just added bearings and modded the steering head with a grinder to get it to turn a little more.

I am guessing when they manufactured Ricky they wanted something simple, cheap, and kid/crash friendly. The spring set up fit the bill.

my $.02

dave...
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:05 PM
Stop that Pigeon!!!
Americana,SP
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
Hi Dave!!

thanks a lot!!

im not sure if onroad bikes have some sort of wheel/tire weights..im searching and just find foam inserts..

so..im lowering the CG..making more "scale" looks..and maybe more stable..lets see what happens..im trying to keep the same ground clearance ,angles of fork and swing arm of my "real" 1:1 bike..lets see..lets. see..

because i thinking... ..if CG is lower and the steering sistem work more firm,without gaps,maybe the bike stay more stable and dont flops so much..

what do you think??

that im crazy? or make some sense??

let me know what you think about..

cheers

cid
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:42 PM
Stop that Pigeon!!!
Americana,SP
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
just missing trimming parts..

i have lowed almost 2 inches and frame still not touch the ground..missing 20mm to touch....even in curves

now,im just waiting my new motor to test it..
Last edited by Topolino2; Sep 04, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2008, 06:22 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
lower CG

Lowering the CG should make him corner better but if you still are using the gyro he will be stable.

With out the gyro??? I think Ricky can only run on the shelf.

I have lightened the gyro in the center and that works well. Not sure how light you can go before it becomes a problem.

dave...
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:22 AM
SoCal
Joined Sep 2007
32 Posts
Ricky Manual

Does anyone here know a link (or can upload) to Ricky's manual?

I'm assuming there's a blow up illustration in there. I'm putting one of my Rickys back together for the first time and have a few of extra mystery shims lying around with no where to go on.

Also it would have been great if someone made more of an asphalt tire for Ricky. either all out street meat or dual purpose similar to this deal:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...10/0/home.aspx

Is there one?
IImugiII is offline Find More Posts by IImugiII
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:50 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Ciao

You can see in our brochure where to get street tires....

To install the front tires you'll need the wheel.

Ciao
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
SoCal
Joined Sep 2007
32 Posts
Jena Thanks,

Street tires look great in the catalog. Do you sell them on your website? I had a hard time finding them.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:35 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Thanks IImugiII,

they're made by GRP, as usual!

Our website isnt updated yet...

Please send me a mail directy to:

antonio.berera@armodelling.com

I'll reply you, you can pay by PayPal, non problem.

Ciao
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:55 PM
SoCal
Joined Sep 2007
32 Posts
davcat,

I guess you would know the answer to this since you have more than one Ricky

would the stock esc handle a 5 cell rx pack (or 6 cell for that matter) for the servo function instead of those 4 AAs?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Hi IImugiII

Not sure about running a different rx pack, never tried. I pulled all of the stock radio gear and have JRxr2i radio's installed. Ricky has twice the runtime with a hobby radio/esc.

The jump bike has an LRP quantum pro esc and the rest have novacks.

Go ahead and give it a try. I have a bunch of stock Ricky electronics you can have if you fry something.

I have read that some guy's have used 11.1 lipos to run Ricky with the stock esc and it has held up. Just the motors fry. I think the stock radio gear is over built and very sturdy, just not very efficient. Not sure why you would want to run with the extra pack. Ricky runs much better when you lighten him up.

Let me know if you need any of this stock radio stuff. I have lots of it.

dave...