HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2008, 07:26 AM
Kokomo, IN
Joined Aug 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcat
Hello again everyone. I have received a few emails wanting to know what size Ricky's bearings are. The replacement bearings are MR-105 for the stearing head and 686z for the gyro and wheels. Here is a link to a great place to get all the bearings you will ever need. Tell him davcat sent you!

http://stores.ebay.com/BEARING-BARGA...Q3amesstQQtZkm
Just so a newbie can be clear here... are we talkin' the 686-ZZ Stainless Steel ones such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-SS-686-ZZ-Sta...mZ260167205855

or are they flanged like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SF686-ZZ-STAINLE...mZ260183344248

or are they neither of these, and not shown on his site?

And to replace these, are they "pop in pop out" or are they more difficult to change. Do you need anything else like oil or lube? I'm a TOTAL newbie and will certainly overlook the obvious at this point!

Thanks!
Jason
jpoprock is offline Find More Posts by jpoprock
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2008, 07:44 AM
CNC Tweaker
Joined Oct 2006
322 Posts
OWWW! My Eye!! Ya shoulda warned us about that spring sooner... I'm messing with my Ricky a bunch, mostly due to your inspirational vids & posts! I'll have the super-Neat-O & lightweight Aluminum motor spacer/heatsinks done today, and have been tinkering with the gyro m'self. I will also slot the shaft for a blade-type crosspin, and noticed that the big gear piece kinda rubbed on the 3 smaller gears, so I popped it on the lathe and removed a few thou from the face to get rid of useless friction. I'd like to try counterboring the 3 gears to take flanged bearings, but notice that the stock setup allows a bit of 'float' on these so they can find a comfy spot betwixt the inner & outer gear and bearings would not work with float: I may just cut the piece w/the pins out of Aluminum. Is this where they fail at high RPM's? I'd like to know exactly where it gives up the ghost, as that would help in fixing the problem. (At this point, I must proceed as if Dave will never finish the electric gyro! ) I think I'll also re-make the part the gyro screws too, as it's REALLY wobbly & will be easy to replicate without much weight penalty. One thing, when you say '22 turn', is it a single? Quad? This would be helpful! Keep up the good work! Chris
Toyranosaur is offline Find More Posts by Toyranosaur
Old Sep 02, 2008, 08:46 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Hi Toyranosaur

I thought some one would get a kick out of my spring joke.

As far as the gyro gears failing. I just read about it. All of my gears are fine in all of my bikes....so far. The only thing that has failed for me was the big gear. The small pin ripped the plastic up. I was able to save the gear with the flat key. Still using the same gear. The gear was in one of the gyros that jumped the car. I think it is the brushles/lipo guys that have been melting the gears/pins.

Antonio (ARX-540 guy) made a kit with turned down screws that replace the plastic pins and bearings that werer pressed into the gyro gears. I will see if I can find the post. I don't think he wants much to do with Ricky. He is concentrating on his arx.

The 22 turn motor was just a cheap rebuit motor I found on e**y. Nothing fancy. I bought a "lot" buy from a guy that had some servos, motors and esc's. Not sure what the specs are on it.

I would not count dammachines out with his new gyro idea. I think he is close to having it to market. He has a couple of working prototypes. Seem to be very stable at low speed.

bfn dave...
davcat is offline Find More Posts by davcat
Old Sep 02, 2008, 11:06 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Hey Toyranosaur

I found the link for the gyro kit. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here so feel free to delete this post if it is top secret info. I thought it would be ok to post since it is still in the forums.

It is kit #0003

I got to say Antonio is one clever guy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...od#post4628178

Chris feel free to make me up a set of screw/pins too! LOL!

bfn dave...
Old Sep 02, 2008, 11:24 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Hi,

take care after installin the bearings, if you'll have enough power, you'll blow the inner teeth gear due to the fact that the satellite will put too much pressure on it and it'll open outward, than you'll strip the satellite teeth... I've destroyed too many of them.

I've also added a small alu gear externally but it kept bending... so you should limit your power to some 300W.

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Sep 02, 2008, 01:11 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,381 Posts
Quote:
I would not count dammachines out with his new gyro idea. I think he is close to having it to market. He has a couple of working prototypes. Seem to be very stable at low speed.
Thanks for not losing faith yet Dave. I'm getting a couple of units ready to be shipped out for testing.

Not sure when AR Modelling will be releasing their similar system for the ARX-540, but I know it's out there - you can see it in action in one of their YouTube videos. The gyro is definitely going before the nitro motor is running...

Dave
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Sep 02, 2008, 02:40 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Gyro

Not to worry Dave!

I have faith in you.

Sounds like Antonio doesn't have much faith in the gyro bearing idea....and it was his idea! If so he would have use it in his ARX. When ever you read about the gyro gears the next thing that you read is "limit the power"

You have the right idea dave......get rid of the gears altogether.

It is hard to type the sound Tim the Toolman says.......something like

HUO HUO HUO.....you get the idea!

WEEV GOT HAVE MORE POWER SCOTTY!!!

bfn dave...
Old Sep 02, 2008, 02:57 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Forgot to ask.

Did you receive the package I sent dave? I sent it to your PO box address from your dammachine site.

dave...
Old Sep 02, 2008, 04:52 PM
Kokomo, IN
Joined Aug 2008
98 Posts
Anyone care to chime in on my question above?

j
Old Sep 02, 2008, 04:58 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoprock
Anyone care to chime in on my question above?

j

Sorry about that! The bearings are the first one you posted. Not the flanged version. I've bought stuff from that Ebay store before, but you can also get them from Avid RC for $1 each.

They're very easy to replace. Actually, they're probably more likely to fall out when you tilt the wheel on it's side than they are to need pressed out...
Old Sep 02, 2008, 05:02 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,381 Posts
Quote:
WEEV GOT HAVE MORE POWER SCOTTY!!!
Dave,

One thing to keep in mind is that once your primary motor is no longer driving the gyro you'll immediately get a lot more power to the rear wheel from your current motor...

Dave
Old Sep 02, 2008, 08:41 PM
Stop that Pigeon!!!
Americana,SP
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
Hey Dave!

Thanx for my swingarm! arrives today!

btw, please let me know when i can have a gyro sistem..or any new hopup..

thanx again..

cid
Topolino2 is offline Find More Posts by Topolino2
Old Sep 02, 2008, 10:15 PM
Kokomo, IN
Joined Aug 2008
98 Posts
Hey do you think that buying the ceramic kind would serve any benefit?

http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=item&id=126

This is a silly question, but how many of each are we talking? One 105 for the steering, and two 686's for the wheels? Since the metal ones are cheap, I was going to buy four of each. But if ceramic is a good way to go, then I'll probl just buy what I need.

And will better bearings like this cause my components to wear out faster, or will it help them last longer? Since it may be a quality mismatch? Thanks!

j
Old Sep 03, 2008, 05:35 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Hey Jason

You are going to have to get some tools out and start taking Ricky apart. We can help you from there. Lots of knowledge and parts here on RC groups.

Yes dave I understand that Ricky will have a little more power on the table taking the gyro load away. I think a little taller set of gears would be the next step. I am working on a new 8 cell Ricky and it is just about ready for a run. Just have to make up a couple of battery plates. Got to start thinking of a new story board and get a few more cars lined up to jump! Any ideas? LOL!!

bfn dave...
Old Sep 03, 2008, 06:55 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
davcat I have faith in bearings into the gyro gears but, regarding Ricky gyro, I just say that above 300W you'll have other parts that will fail.

Our gyro is completely different from Ricky so we don't have this power limit, there is for sure a power that will blow our gyro too but till now I haven't been able to reach it.

Using an Eagletree Datalogger I've measured a maximum of 1032W taken from the battery, so let's say some 900-950W produced by the motor.

Electric gyro is really the best solution even if it's more complicated than the mechanical one, we have developed a really nice and practical solution.

Our electric gyro will see the light AFTER the nitro, which will be released the 15th of September, see our website.

We're testing it with great results and, on a motard version, we've reached some 65mph maximum speed...... and wheeling capability up to 45 - 50 mph......

5900KV motor, 11.1V LiPo 10T pinion compared to our 7T standard.

You must glue the tires really well......
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67