SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2008, 03:36 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
I don't know if he sells anything for the Ricky bike anymore. At one time he sold a lot of nice Ricky modds/hopups. He decided to start with a clean sheet of paper and fix all of the Ricky flaws. I think the ARX-540 he makes has a similar rear wheel that can be used in Ricky. He has put together a very well built gyro set-up but I think the wants big money for one. IIRC if you buy his wheel then later decide to buy his bike he will sell you a bike - wheel and reduce the bike cost the price of the wheel. Don't quote me on that but I think that was the deal.

dave from dammachines is working on a rear wheel gyro set-up. I think his plan is to sell a kit. The gyro is the weak link in Ricky. Too much motor + batteries= melted gyro.

dave....
davcat is offline Find More Posts by davcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Lightweight Ricky

Update: Ricky is ready for a road test. Here is another place I saved a bit of weight. I made up some new crash bars out of welding rod that is used for wear resistance on sand screws. Should last or a while and are a bit lighter than stock. 37.9 grams compared to 47 grams for the stock ones. I did a final weight on two Rickys. The stock bike RTR including all batteries is 3.417 Kg. The modded bike RTR is, drum roll please..... 2.985 kg. If you convert that to Lbs it is 7.53lbs compared to 6.58lbs. A full pound! A pound might not sound like much but with you consider the % of weight that came off, it is quite a bit. Pouring rain here today so we have a rain delay for a road test.

dave...
Old May 04, 2008, 02:29 PM
Flat out
Plymouth, MA
Joined Mar 2002
419 Posts
Updates?
W.C.mach is offline Find More Posts by W.C.mach
Old May 05, 2008, 07:37 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
My latest Ricky is very quick and jumps far.....VERY FAR!!LOL!!!!! Lands perfect every time.

My video editor is dragging his feet. I am ready give the video editing thing a try myself, just too many other projects. Trying to get a file size that will play smooth and still be "good" quality. It is a fine line.

bfn dave...
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky bearings

Hello again everyone. I have received a few emails wanting to know what size Ricky's bearings are. The replacement bearings are MR-105 for the stearing head and 686z for the gyro and wheels. Here is a link to a great place to get all the bearings you will ever need. Tell him davcat sent you!

http://stores.ebay.com/BEARING-BARGA...Q3amesstQQtZkm

The new Ricky is running great! Have lots of video clips that I am trying to put together. I got side tracked with a 911 porsche purchase but I will get them together and post the Ricky Jump ll link to youtube.

dave...
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
Santa Monica, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
166 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some more video.....

What kind of Porsche Project do you have going?
jloc is offline Find More Posts by jloc
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:54 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
I bought a 1982 911 targa on ebay. Car is in great shape and a blast to drive but needs a little bit of loving. It has a cold/hot start issue. It has an odd injection system on it that is hard to diagnose. I think I just about have it figured out.

Poor old Ricky got put on the back burner.

dave...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:17 PM
Flat out
Plymouth, MA
Joined Mar 2002
419 Posts
Nice, It would look great with euro bumpers on it. My dad had a slope nose of about the same year or maybe a few years newer. It was that same classic body style.
W.C.mach is offline Find More Posts by W.C.mach
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:20 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the car. It is a blast to drive. I was going to get rid of the impact bumper pads on the rear but keep the front. It has an "RS" oil cooler and plumbing hidden behind the front dam so the front has to stay the way it is. Some people like it, some say it wrecks the classic look of the car and should be taken off "NOW". I like it because it keeps the motor cool when you are redlining the tach in every gear. LOL!!!

Sorry for putting Ricky on the back burner. He will return!

dave...
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:38 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
New Ricky Video

Hello everyone.

Sorry I took so long but here is Ricky's big jump II.

The first video sets up the second video, watch it first.

bfn dave...

Radio Shack Ricky Carmichael Big Jump (1 min 42 sec)

Radio Shack Ricky Carmichael Big Jump II (5 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2008, 09:09 AM
Santa Monica, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
166 Posts
OMG!!!! You Just made my morning.....Thats the best ricky vid. ever. I am ROTFLMAO. Nicely done!
jloc is offline Find More Posts by jloc
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:06 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
WOW, I'm really impressed!

Great work!

Keep it up!

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:37 AM
CNC Tweaker
Joined Oct 2006
322 Posts
So Dav, what exact motor is that you're running in lightweight Ricky? I'd be very interested to know! I wish to upgrade mine with a KNOWN motor that works well. Thanks Man! Chris
Toyranosaur is online now Find More Posts by Toyranosaur
Old Sep 01, 2008, 06:11 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Motor

I used 2 Ricky's for the filming of Big Jump II. One had a stock motor and the lightweight Ricky had a 22 turn. Both ran 7 cells. (stock gearing) Not much difference in top speed with the two motors. Not sure what turn the stock motors are. Dave (dammachines) might have a better idea. One area that does make a huge difference of how Ricky runs is the batteries. There is no comparison of a 7 cell to a 6 cell Ricky. The 7 cell flies compared to a 6 cell. I don't use lipo's in my Rickys but do use them in a foam airplane I have. Great battery technology. I have a pile of sub c stuff, so for now, that is what Ricky is getting. I have a 19 turn Komodo trinity that has the chain drive. It is very fast. It ripped up the big gear in the gyro. I fixed it with a flat key through the shaft instead of the small pin. Holding up ok so far. I have run the 22 belt drive beside the 19 turn chain and they are close in top speed. The 19 takes off of the line quicker but the 22 is not far behind. I think the belt drive is a little more efficient than the chain. You will need the chain settup if you go "BIG" brushless with lipo's....but....the gyro gears will be melted soon after.

Back to the question...I think the bottom line is for now that a 19 or higher motor with 7 cells is about the limit. Once dave gets his electric gyro to market........the only limit for motor/battery set up will be your pocket book.

(The brushless/lipo guys can comment on what the equivalent set up would be to the 19t/7cell)

Try not to go to crazy with the power. He is a lot more fun to run than fix. LOL!!!

bfn dave...
Old Sep 01, 2008, 08:14 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Gyro gears

I have been getting quite a few emails asking about the gears in the gyro. Sounds like a few Ricky owners have not had their back wheel open.

For those of you that have not opened Ricky's back wheel up............... "BE CAREFULL" There is a large spring with a lot of tension on it. If you open it up to fast 25 tiny parts will go flying in every direction.................

Just kidding LOL!!! The rear wheel gear setup is quite simple.(NO SPRING) It just has one large gear and 3 planetary gears. There are 2 small shoes that swing out with centrifical force to spin the gyro weight.

Just so happens I have a wheel opened up. I have the gyro weight at my machinest buddy to have him lighten it up.

Here are a few pics in order as it would be opened.

Notice my shoes have had the center removed to lighten them. It raises the engagement rpm of the gyro weight.

bfn dave...

PS: The weak link in Ricky is the small pin on the main axle. I modded my axle by using a flat key on the shaft. Another weak link is the plastic shafts that the small gears run on. They melt with too much power/speed.