HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:06 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Carmichael

As far as the front forks go, you can get the stock to work "almost" as good as the USD forks by adding another teflon slide inside the fork. I just used a spare slide from another set of forks. I ground down the step in the slide and used it closest to the fork. The slide with the step is on top to center the spring. You just need a longer bolt to go through both slides. That will take a lot of the slop out of the forks. The spring rate is a little firmer because the spring is more compressed now because of the extra slide. I just use the stock spring. Like I said "almost" as good. Antonio's forks are a work of art.......but a little rich for 8 Ricky's.

Another great modd is to change out the steering bushings to bearings. The steering will work MUCH better, the servo does not have to work so hard an there is NO slop in the front end. On all of my Ricky's I have ground down the steering mount were the steering head contacts the mount. It allows the steering head to swing more creating better turning. Besides those changes the rest of the steering is a stock setup. You can see by the video how well it works.

Here are a couple of shots of my 7 cell setup. I can still use the stock battery door. I just use an extra tie-wrap around the battery case because of the big jumps.

dave...
davcat is offline Find More Posts by davcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:37 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Carmichael chain conversion

Just a thought on the chain conversion. If you are using the stock plastic swingarm you will need a 1/2 link master. The chain is either too loose or too tight with the full master link that comes with the kit. The 1/2 links are available at any industrial supply. It is standard #25 chain. I talked to Dave at dam machines and he was thinking of adding it to the kit. The proper way would be to have his (adjustable chain) aluminum swingarm. Very high quality parts!

He is a very busy guy with 4 young kids so don't panic if he doesn't get back to you right away. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.dammachines.com/

dave...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:18 AM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Carmichael

Bump
Old Jan 19, 2008, 05:14 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Carmichael Jump pictures/gyro mod

Hello everyone. I was going through my sd card in my camera and found a few Ricky pics. The video doesn't realy do him justice on how high he can jump.

Has anyone had any luck lightening up the gyro? I wanted to cut a few thousands off each side of the flywheel but just in the center. Also cut a little off of the the inner circle of the thicker outer ring on each side. I was going to leave the outer diameter/weight alone. I thought it might take a little load off of the gear system in the gyro and help him spool up a litte quicker. I realize that the penalty will be stability in the dirt. I was just going to mod the jump bike for now to see how well it works. Any thoughts????
Old Jan 20, 2008, 02:16 AM
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
I know that people in the past have lightened the gyro, but I think by sanding down the outside edge. If I remember correctly they said it still handled well offroad.

Haven't tried anything myself though. I can't afford to experiment too much with right now b/c the boss, fiancee, will kill me if I spend anymore money on rc at the moment, so I can't replace parts.

Definitely post your results if you try it!
gogglespaesano is offline Find More Posts by gogglespaesano
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:16 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Gyro Mod

Update: I removed the gyro weight and sent it off to get machined. FYI the stock weight is 293.62 grams. I will weigh it again after it is cut. I am just cutting the center and a little off of the inner edge of the thicker outer ring on both sides. O.D. will remain the same. Will post results and pics later.

Several people have suggested reducing the shoe weights by half also. 8 grams to 4 grams.

Any thoughts?????

dave...
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:55 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky Gyro

Hello everyone.

Snow is starting to melt and spring is just around the corner. Time to dust off Ricky. I got my gyro back from the machine shop. It weighs 251.45 grams after being cut on both sides. Here is a pic of each side of the gyro how it was cut.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:55 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Lightweight Ricky

Hello again:

I started to put together a lightweight Ricky to attempt a "World Record" jump. I am hoping that with the lighter gyro, esc, motor mount, USD forks and removing anything that is not needed that I should be able to clear 25'+. My 7 cell chain drive has done 25' a few times but the landings were not pretty. Here are a few parts and their weights FYI. The metal motor mount in the picture is 38.67 grams and the "very" hard plastic one is 8.35 grams. I found a very small esc that is 34.02 grams. The original one is 209.28 grams if you include the 4 "AA" batteries. Add to that the 40 grams I took off of the gyro and he is on quite the diet! I will do a final weight when he is all put together. The plan is use the belt drive because it is lighter. I am waiting on an aluminum swing arm from dammachines to allow me to adjust the belt. (dave is having some issues with his part supplier) I will use the plastic swingarm for now. It is just going to have a 27 turnBB motor running on 6 cells. I am not going for big power just light weight. Not sure how it is going to work but should be fast enough for some good jump video. Lipo's are a good idea but I have a pile of sub-c's to burn out first.

Getting ready for Radioshack Ricky's big jump ll......LOL!

dave...
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:15 AM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
a heavy part on the std ricky bike is the frame braces, theyre steel IIRC and they weigh a ton!
i made up some alloy ones for mine and it saved a fair bit of weight

Good luck with the jump LOL
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:46 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Frame braces

Hi kneeboy...good call.... I will pull them out and show my machinest buddy. It looks like I can take one of the aluminum battery cross bars and use it where the front lower steel cross brace is. Looks like a straight swap. The 2 heavier ones should be simple to make. Every gram counts when you are working on a "world record" I just had a look at Ricky....he looks nervous! LOL!!!!

dave...
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:29 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky build update

Hello again. Made a little more progress today. Here is a pic of the stock front forks and the Antonio forks(ARX builder) the stock ones are 473.37 grams and the Antonio forks are 460.68. Little more weight off of Ricky.

dave...
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:35 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Ricky back together

Here is Ricky Just about ready for a test run. He has become "VERY" light compared to a stock Ricky. Once he is in full jump trim I will put him on the scale, as well as a stock Ricky. Both weights will be RTR.

dave...
Old Apr 03, 2008, 12:52 AM
Joined Dec 2006
13 Posts
So how much did those nice forks set ya back???
arghsee is offline Find More Posts by arghsee
Old Apr 03, 2008, 10:49 PM
Georgetown Ont. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Hi arghsee

I think they were $90usd shipped from Italy. They are a work of art. Very nice machine work. No slop and you can adjust the friction on the O-ring by tightening or loosening the adjuster collar on the shock. Very effective.

At the time I ordered them (last summer) it was the only mod parts Antonio sold for Ricky. He did at one time sell a nice (gyro gear) bearing and shaft kit. Looked like a nice kit to avoid melting the gears. I am guessing he stopped selling them to get people to buy his ARX bike. Good thinking on his part! Might be a few more Ricky's running around if that kit was still available.

I think dave from dammachines is our only hope now as far a gyro kits go.

dave...
Old Apr 04, 2008, 12:56 AM
Joined Dec 2006
13 Posts
Antonio.....is that the guy that was selling the gyro and wheel assembly in a kit for the ricky bike??
arghsee is offline Find More Posts by arghsee