HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:39 PM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Arlen, I really like your color scheme! Radian sounds like a lot of fun, I hope it treats you well and you enjoy it!

Dan
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:06 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Hey Arlen,

You look great bud, so does the Radian. How are you feeling?

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Looks great Arlen!

Now we need to get you guys some Altitude limiters and perhaps you could join us for a contest one day.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:29 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Speaking of electric contests, this may be of interest.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453645

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for the compliments on the Radian. I didn't put a lot of thought into it, but had fun altering it's appearance. I personally like the results better than the factory scheme. It flies real well, and I'm amazed at how vertical it will climb to thermal heights.

Curtis,

"Now we need to get you guys some Altitude limiters and perhaps you could join us for a contest one day."

As usual, I'm pretty ignorant on a lot of RC stuff. Sooooo, what is an "Altitude limiter?" As far as a contest, that sounds like a lot of fun. Lord willing, we'll get to do it sometime soon.

Chip,

Little by little I 'think' I'm doing better. Physically, I messed up my back about a week ago helping my Mom clean out her garage. Through some therapy exercises, it is getting a little better each day. My heart surgery recovery is also going well. Since I resigned my ministry, a LOT of stress and people anxiety is gone, and I like to think things are progressing better all the time. My wife has the possibility of a job in Bozeman soon, so we are waiting on that. I'm in no rush to jump back into any ministry until the end of the summer, so will use the next few months doing different things and resting and healing. With all the rain, flying hasn't been very possible, but it will happen sooner than later. Thanks for asking.

Blessings to all,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Last edited by Paradise MT; Jun 10, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Arlen,
I went up to helena the other day to meet with curtis and chip, and they were putting on a kind of a TD contest type of deal.

It's for electric gliders, I think it started for people who couldn't throw the DLG's anymore to simulate it.

What you do is put in an "altitude limiting" switch. It basically gives you 30 seconds, or 200 meters (you can set it to 100m, 150m, or 200m but usually 200m). You climb out and up to 200M, hopefully around 30 seconds, if you can't get to 200m before 30 seconds you just get as far as you can in the time.

They call a time before hand, 4 minutes, 5 minutes, 3 minutes for each round. and you then try to stay up for that amount of time, getting a point for every second (3 minutes = 180 points) and get penalized for every second over (ie in a 3 minute round 190 has a penalty of 10 seconds so you get 170 points). and you try to land within a certain circle, with points awarded for that too.

It's pretty neat actually. And you can regain the control of the motor by just turning the motor control to zero for 3 seconds while under the 200m elevation and you can then fly away in an emergency.

Curtis is putting in an order (if he hasn't already) to order the switches. They are easily put in and removed between the esc and the receiver.

not sure if that translates, but that's the short of it anyway

dan
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
I'm going to move any ALES to the proper forum before some Slope guy gets mad at me. :-)

I started a "Montana ALES" thread on the electrics forum so I'll reply there.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453645

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Double Post
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Jun 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Don't Mind

Curtis,

I personally don't mind if you chat about the ALES competition on this forum......no bother to me. I'll see what I can do to make the next competition you put on.

Dan and Curtis,
Thank you for taking the time to explain some of the details of ALES. I was flying my Radian last night about an hour trying to get used to it and how it floats. Seems to be a good thermal plane. Hope to try it on the slope today. By the way, will my Radian qualify to compete?

Chat more later.

Blessings,
Arlen
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:45 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
By the way, will my Radian qualify to compete?

Arlen
Absolutely! My brand new hi-tech composite eSupra was beaten by an electrified 1970 era Oly II!

On the day of the clinic we didn't score it as true Man on Man. I input the flights, rounds and groups properly into a spreadsheet I compiled and that dang gone old Oly won by three seconds!

That's the beauty of this type of competition.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
I have a need.

To all my Montana Slope Soaring Friends,

Since this has to do with my slope soaring planes, I wanted to give a shout out to check on the availability of a good used FM Transmitter. Nearly all of my RC sailplanes are on a Hitec Eclipse 7 transmitter. It recently gave us the ghost, so I'm looking to replace it with a decent used Hitec or Futaba FM transmitter. I'd like something that has at least six channels, and will hold 6 to 10 models. Does anyone have something that you could make me a good deal on? I've got a 2.4 Ghz Spectrum that I use on a couple of micro-planes, as well as my Radian, but do not want to put out the massive bucks to convert all of my sailplanes to 2.4.......it's not part of my budget right now. Thanks for your consideration.

Blessings,
Arlen
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:23 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Arlen,
Since you've used an eclipse, I'd think an optic 6 would be a decent substitution. I don't have an extra I don't need (I have 2, but I use them to buddy cord together to teach new people), but I bet you could put up a wanted ad on the for sale forum.

I looked but only found this older post for local pickup.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=optic+6

Not sure what your eclipse did, but the optic 6 can take a specra module, that will do all the 72mhz channels 11-60.

You should be able to get one for 60 or 70 bucks shipped I'd think?

it is 6 channel, but you'll have trouble programming a full sailplane with ailerons and flaps and motor unless you y in the flaps together on one channel.

Good luck!

dan
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Thank You

Dan,

Thank you for searching. I went to the top of this forum page under "Classifieds" and found several transmitters that might do the job for me. I personally don't need anything more than six channels. I sent out a few inquiry e-mails to see about availability, so will wait to see what kind of response I get. I hate to send my old one in for repair as it will probably cost more than I can buy a good used one for. That Optic 6 is one of the ones I'm pursuing. I'll try to post a result here if and when I get something. I need something before July 8th when I head to the Oregon coast with my brother to do some sloping at Cape Blanco.

Blessings,
Arlen
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
To all my Montana Slope Soaring Friends,

Since this has to do with my slope soaring planes, I wanted to give a shout out to check on the availability of a good used FM Transmitter. Nearly all of my RC sailplanes are on a Hitec Eclipse 7 transmitter. It recently gave us the ghost, so I'm looking to replace it with a decent used Hitec or Futaba FM transmitter. I'd like something that has at least six channels, and will hold 6 to 10 models. Does anyone have something that you could make me a good deal on? I've got a 2.4 Ghz Spectrum that I use on a couple of micro-planes, as well as my Radian, but do not want to put out the massive bucks to convert all of my sailplanes to 2.4.......it's not part of my budget right now. Thanks for your consideration.

Blessings,
Arlen
Hey Arlen,

I don't have either Hitec or Futaba, but I DO have a spare Stylus that will transmit in Negative shift. If you want some complexity in your life, I would be willing to sell it to you for $75 plus shipping. What I have found using mine, is that it is not user friendly for simple sailplanes, it is really designed for complex setups, like 4 or more wing servos. But it will do just about anything you want. The spare I have was checked out by Airtronics last year, new internal battery replaced and is perfect operating order.

Other than that, I have an old Airtronics Vision that is in fair condition and an Airtronics Infinity 600a in fair condition (both need batteries replaced), as far as I know they do not transmit in negative shift, but anyone interested in them, I will take $15 each plus shipping.

Good Luck with your search
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Thanks Chip

Chip,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with Hitec or Futaba. I've got a lead on a couple, so will let you know what I come ups with. Enjoy your trip down south. Hope to see you sooner than later.

Blessings,
Arlen