SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62 View Post
So there I was visiting with my lovely bride. I was mentioning to her that I am mildly interested in buying a plane from another member of RCGroups. She asked,"how much is it?" She was humoring me you see, as we are still living in a small apt. with our kids. A smart hubby would never have mentioned he would like to purchase yet another plane.

Anyway to cut to the chase I told her that it was an ARC. Having been with a toy plane geek as long as she has, she is familiar with kits, ARF's, and RTF's but, not ARC's. When I explained that it was an Almost Ready to Cover plane she started to snicker and when questioned she said she thought ARC stood for Almost Ready to Crash.

I love that my wife knows me so well.
LMAO! Mark that was awesome, thanks for sharing! Bummer you are still in an apartment, when do get to move into your new house? I bet that will be an event.

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:15 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
---
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Last edited by Freedom Flyer; Apr 23, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:29 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
Chip, Thanks for the site, lots of great Ideas, I'm building a Canterbury Models F-20 Tigershark, Should be great for the Three Forks slope. I need to figure out how and where to put Ballast tubes, this thing is really suppose to rock and roll would be fun to be able to fly in some 30+ mph winds if given the opportunity. I've been doing a bit of research on this bird and would just like to do it right. Thought about separate servos for the wings, but as I am a asthetic type person, not so sure I want servo rods showing on the top of my wing. The wing sets right on the bottom of this plane and i see alot of gears and control horns getting either stripped or torn off on the landing end, so more than likely I'll go with the torque rod set up. Does anyone see an issue with this method? I've seen some methods on hiding the elevator servo and rod so I don't think that's an issue, I know I can hide the aileron servos just not sure I want the rods showing. Sounds like Belt would be the place to go for that, I'm not sure I would necessarily want to be around if the the log chain was standing straight out up there. Glad you got to meet the bros., just so you know I'm MUCH younger than Arlen, and not nearly as GRAY Wayne and I are closer in age, good thing I don't hold grudges from when we were kids, just kidding they're great guys and am very blessed to get to "Play" with my older brothers when we get the chance since I didn't get to when I was little. It's been fun to watch them progress from building to flying, I'm always happy for their successes. Has really been a fun journey to share in their stories and adventures. and always fun to tease when the opportunity arises. The fact that I grew bigger than them is just icing on the cake. If you could pass the slope site info on to curtis that would be great. Gotta go for now. Tracy
Tracy you are welcome. You know, I have to say that your brothers were very pleasent about their younger brother who was not with them yesterday. LOL! They say you are the more experienced flyer of the bunch. You know the one that aided their addiction. I did pass along the slope info to Curtis and hopefully we can meet you guys out there sometime.

That F-20 should be good in higher winds, but I have to say that I have flown a Freedom (my first one) in 70mph winds with 10 oz of ballast. This last one I flew in 45mph winds down at Point of the Mountain two years ago at the Soar Utah event without ballast. Your Freedom should be able to handle 30+ easily. Of course it will not be as forgiving bouncing across the slope as the F-20, LOL!

Chip
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:22 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
---
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:51 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62 View Post
Hey Arlen.
I thought I would do a little searching for you and look what I came up with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cayote-Aerobatic...item483a03d59d

Mark W.
Mark,
Thought I would update you on that Coyote you located for me on E-Bay. As I shared before, I asked my son, who is the webmaster in my family, to bid on that Coyote for me, since I don't participate on E-Bay....mostly cuz I don't know how. Anyhow, he called me a short time ago to tell me that he was able to "win" the bid, and I got it for the $39.99 price, (plus shipping). If I recall, that is @ 1/2 the price of what I paid for the original one that I bought several years ago. It is being shipped to my home, and I should have it in a few days! Thanks again!
Blessings!
Arlen

[This was taken of me flying my current and beat up Coyote over the Missouri River at Fort Benton last June.]
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Last edited by Paradise MT; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:51 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
Mark,
Thought I would update you on that Coyote you located for me on E-Bay. As I shared before, I asked my son, who is the webmaster in my family, to bid on that Coyote for me, since I don't participate on E-Bay....mostly cuz I don't know how. Anyhow, he called me a short time ago to tell me that he was able to "win" the bid, and I got it for the $39.99 price, (plus shipping). If I recall, that is @ 1/2 the price of what I paid for the original one that I bought several years ago. It is being shipped to my home, and I should have it in a few days! Thanks again!
Blessings!
Arlen

[This was taken of me flying my current and beat up Coyote over the Missouri River at Fort Benton last June.]
Woo Hoo! That's great! Thank you for the update and the photo.

Mark
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
Chip, will definitely have to get some info on how to ballast the Freedom and others up, I honestly have not done that much at all. Do you center the weight over the CG? slightly in front? and what is the preferred method of fastening the weight down?, haven't really explored that aspect very much. Also I can't remember if I read that the center section needed to have a wide swath of glass cloth or not. I only have about a 2" wide strip through my center section. I also have a Ridge Rat that I would like ballast up, I think that it's posted on one of my first entries, it's the one my friend from Minnisota is flying, that one is pretty fun too. I can't imagine standing on top of a hill in 70mph winds let alone fly in them. You got me beat by a long shot, yes I'm a girl.....but not as much of a girl as my two sisters when it comes to flying in heavy winds.! gotta get those digs in when I can you know.They both said that they enjoyed their visit and felt bad for waking you, thanks for taking time out of your rest schedule to meet with them. Also was not surprised to hear they came away with something FREE. Pretty much par for those two.(dig dig) Thanks for gifting the trainers that was very kind, I think they'll be great projects for my brothers flight class down the road,well I need to hit the hay actually have some work to go to tomorrow so need to get some shut eye. got to bed at 2:30 this morning and up at 6:45 for church feeling a bit sluggish right now. Thanks again Tracy
In my Freedom, I centered the ballast over the CG in the Fuselage. I ran a bolt up through the bottom of the fuse (10/32) secured with a nut and large washers on either side of the fuse bottom. Then Drilled a hole in the weights to slide onto the bolt and secure with a nut. As for flying in 70 mph winds, I was 17 at the time and another sloper launched first and I wasn't going to be shown up, so I launched also. Was kind of crazy, but the planes lived to fly again, that was the amazing part, LOL..

One of the trainers is need of some SERIOUS TLC, so I would not call it a gift, but it will be a good project none the less. It was my pleasure to gift them, as that is what I had bought them for. I really never intended to restore them myself, just wanted to save them from the trash can. I hope Wayne and his class get some use out of them. I think that was their purpose in life, hehe..

I talked to Dan this afternoon, he is on his way back from Nigeria (work), and is looking forward to a road trip. So we hope to see you guys again real soon. Maybe a small get together in Three Forks is in order. I was looking at Google Earth and I think the land you are flying from is not private land, that may be why no one has bothered you guys up there. Lets hope it stays that way. Will bring some trach bags to help police the area though, maybe we can make get some brownie points if it is private land.

Congrats to you Arlen for getting another Coyote, will come in handy when the other one wears out.

Take Care for now
Chip
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
God Bless America

Took a drive early this morning from Paradise Valley over the Bozeman Pass to Belgrade, and then on to Helena, and then back home this afternoon. Was probably not the wisest choice of days to drive, since it was snow all the way over and back, and visibility was limited at times. However, even in the midst of all the snow and limited visibility, when the mountains and hills of this great state appeared all covered with snow, the scenery was beautiful.

It also made me long for warmer, dryer, and clearer days in which to find a slope and have some fun. Am attaching a picture I took of our American flag being towed behind a 'gaser' last summer at our RC Club's Annual Fun Fly here in Paradise Valley. This picture also made me thankful to live in such a blessed nation where we can drive hundreds of miles without being "stopped at the border," have the freedom to fly our RC planes most anytime and anywhere we want, and to post nostalgic 'chats' like this. Hope this post finds all it's readers with grateful hearts.
Arlen
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:58 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
I flew 8.5 hours yesterday in the snow, rarely saw the blue sky, had six landings and five instrument approaches as well as one missed approach. ATC gave me very poor vectors and I tried to salvage it but that didn't work so I went missed and used my own navigation to successfully complete the approach. Best part was there was very little ice all day!

Very nice flag flyby which is also why the my title page looks like it does at www.TailwindGliders.com

Curtis
MSgt, USAF Retired
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:16 AM
Flies Like Rock
Monument, Colo.
Joined Jan 2005
364 Posts
Arlen,
That was an ambitious drive. I spoke with my son yesterday and he told me there was 5 inches of new snow on the ground in Bozeman. When is winter going to let go up there?

Because of your recent weather/wind problems, I probably should not say anything about it, but we had a classic day of sloping at our good site near the colorado springs airport. Around 400 foot vertical cliffs with a reasonably grassy slope to land on. Got to fly everything, including my Alula, Weasel, glass Super-V 100 (tossing that one got my heart pumping since that was the first time I ever risked a glass ship sloping) and my Element. Got the Element dialed in and moving fast.

the wind gradually built up from 15-20 up to 20 steady, with huge thermals cycling though. I the wind dropped, you could just push out to find the thermal.

First good slope day for me in a long time. This has me really psyched to try some of those huge hills around Bozo. I expect to meet some of you in the near future.

Tony
tony w is offline Find More Posts by tony w
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Re:

Curtis:
Although I didn't stay in and retire, I too am a veteran of the U.S. Navy (1967-71), and most grateful for yourself and multitudes of others who have served and continue to serve our country, preserving our freedom, and helping provide the many blessings we have today. Thank you for your service. We do need to actively look for a time when we can get together and fly some stuff smaller than you were flying Tuesday! Hopefully soon.
Blessings!
Arlen

Tony:
Your description of your "huge" day of flying not only reminds me of a couple of days like that down near Three Forks, but also makes me a bit envious, especially in light of the recent weather we've been having here. Curtis' description of flying in the lowest heaven on Tuesday was quite accurate, and flying instruments in the "big stuff" would've been the only way to do it. Perhaps someday I'll be able to join you at that site near Colorado Springs where you had such "big air." Glad you got to do that!

I sure know what you mean when you talk about tossing out a glass ship in "uncertain" winds. It really puts a knot in the stomach and increases the heart rate, (almost as much as having to go down to the bottom and back up to fetch the thing!) Right after I got my Cobra, I had to do that very thing. I tossed her out, and then the wind died. Soooo, down the hill I went. My heart was racing pretty good both before and after!

Hope to see you in Montana soon!
Blessings!
Arlen

My "heart flapping" Cobra (On the day I had to fetch it!)
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:16 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
I flew 8.5 hours yesterday in the snow, rarely saw the blue sky, had six landings and five instrument approaches as well as one missed approach. ATC gave me very poor vectors and I tried to salvage it but that didn't work so I went missed and used my own navigation to successfully complete the approach. Best part was there was very little ice all day!

Very nice flag flyby which is also why the my title page looks like it does at www.TailwindGliders.com

Curtis
MSgt, USAF Retired
Curtis, Great Job! Yesterday was kind of icky for sure. Not the best day to be flying. Glad there was little ice for you.

Chip
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:22 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
Curtis:
Although I didn't stay in and retire, I too am a veteran of the U.S. Navy (1967-71), and most grateful for yourself and multitudes of others who have served and continue to serve our country, preserving our freedom, and helping provide the many blessings we have today. Thank you for your service. We do need to actively look for a time when we can get together and fly some stuff smaller than you were flying Tuesday! Hopefully soon.
Blessings!
Arlen
Arlen, my dad was also in the Navy at that time. Thank you sir for your contribution and being there with my dad as well. I thank my dad often, when he will let me.

Happy Flying
Chip
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Gotter!

Mark,
Just a quick note to let you know that I received the Coyote via FedEx today. The box is visibly old, but the contents are "shiney new!" The original sticker price was still on the outside, and I actually obtained it for LESS than half the original price.

Thanks again for your help in locating this sweet little sailplane.
Blessings!
Arlen
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
---