Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Oh the shame of it all lolol, will live to fly another day, is why I like epp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Let me guess- with the grain elevator in the background, thats facing SW on the Black Eagle side of the Missouri?
You are SPOT ON!! complete with a bench!! Testing now to see how it does in different winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang
Dan
You told me you needed better landing SKILZ , looks like a great landing to me. At least it wasn't put in the middle of the thin ice.
Chip
THe comanche was heading for the thin ice, able to vear away at the lest second tho. must have busted the antenna in it or something, the LMA kept going off, and it would hard jerk to the left. I'll need to delve into it. the weasel was happy tho, but lift wasn't huge.
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:02 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,927 Posts
You guys should make a "plane extractor"/

It's a wrist-rocket with a cheap fishing reel mounted on the grip. You open the bail, and launch a 1/2-1 oz fishing weight over the tree, with 100 lb monofilament trailing. You can use the monofilamanet to drag 1/4" poly rope up. You and your "helper" (i.e. camera dude) pull hard to rock the tree, and the plane usually falls out of the branches. Its small enough to cary in your backpack to the hill too.

I'm over 40 and I don't climb trees. Nothing takes the fun out of a day at the hill like a busted hip.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjloo
wood sheeted wing LOL, no no that's my LJ60 that's finally got it's turn to get done. I'm working on it today!!

Got to fly the mule, then let the guy down the street try it and it got um, hurt you might say. I sent it out to new jersey to RTS to fix, and then he's having medical problems, so I haven't seen it now for 3+ months, should be good though when it finally returns.

I am kinda shopping for a floater tho, that's marlowe's interest, and I'm never one to poo poo things, I'll give it a shot. My main interest will remain slopers tho
Floaty's don't suck. I don't have much experience flying fast slopers (about to change that) but, I used to fly a pretty quick wing. There is something to be said for it all. I even have respect for 3D flying though it's not my interest. Sloping interests me because of the speed and endless lift on the right days. My two meter floater is interesting to me because it is like a game for me to find invisible lift and defy the laws of gravity. Here is a photo of me and my Vista at a memorial fun fly in Cowley, Wy. last September. I maidened this plane here on this day. My second flight was half an hour off a winch. It was so fun! I will definately attend again next September. The local flyers are a great bunch of people.

Oh and by the way, the Vista HAS been chucked off Sacrifice Cliff on many occasions .
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Last edited by indy cv-62; Jan 12, 2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:56 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Art Hobbies

By the way guys I will most likely see Andre tomorrow morning. Is there anything that you would like me to check on inventory wise? There is a friend of mine here in Billings who has been assembling and flying Art Hobby planes for himself for a while now. He has started building a few of the kits for others now. His craftsmanship is as high quality as it was when he was building from plans. And that quality in a word is superb. He may be coaxed into assembling yet another for someone who does'nt have the time. Let me know. I would be happy to do the leg work for you guys.

Mark
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:09 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62
Floaty's don't suck. I don't have much experience flying fast slopers (about to change that) but, I used to fly a pretty quick wing. There is something to be said for it all. I even have respect for 3D flying though it's not my interest. Sloping interests me because of the speed and endless lift on the right days. My two meter floater is interesting to me because it is like a game for me to find invisible lift and defy the laws of gravity. Here is a photo of me and my Vista at a memorial fun fly in Cowley, Wy. last September. I maidened this plane here on this day. My second flight was half an hour off a winch. It was so fun! I will definately attend again next September. The local flyers are a great bunch of people.

Oh and by the way, the Vista HAS been chucked off Sacrifice Cliff on many occasions .
Amen! Floaters are cool, have flown them many a time when the lift is light (or Not). Always take one with me when I go anywhere to fly. ANd not all slopers are fast . I have flown a few that you could fly look away, look back, and it would still be there. Very relaxing flying. Need to get the Sagitta 600 finished and refurbish my grandfather's Midwest Soarer. That way I would at least have a couple of thermal ships, so I could go flying with cloudyIFR. Strange he hasn't chimed in on this thread. Will have to e-mail him again.

Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:38 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,927 Posts
You guys should look at Falcos or flat wing Thermics. Those both fly great in light air, and they arent as fragile as you'd think.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:38 AM
Great Falls, MT.
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
Say Hi to Andre

Hey Indy,

Tell Andre Hi from Marlowe. What a nice fellow he is. He has been most helpful with answers to all my questions after having been absent from soaring for 25 years.
Marlowe
marlowe is offline Find More Posts by marlowe
Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:12 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
You guys should look at Falcos or flat wing Thermics. Those both fly great in light air, and they arent as fragile as you'd think.
Actually I was looking at the Jasco Sailwing, thought it would make a great light air sloper. Will have to see when they come available at TMRC Sailplanes. What do the Falcos look like?

Chip
Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:22 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Oh the shame of it all lolol, will live to fly another day, is why I like epp
THe comanche was heading for the thin ice, able to vear away at the lest second tho. must have busted the antenna in it or something, the LMA kept going off, and it would hard jerk to the left. I'll need to delve into it. the weasel was happy tho, but lift wasn't huge.
What a drag, hope it is something simple, better the tree than the ice. Still wish I was there.

Chip
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Quote:

hold on there! I never said floaties suck!! I said I wouldn't poo poo them, and would give them a try. I'm always up for something new! I just know that I'll always perfer the faster paced flight of hte slopers personally. Kinka like you said you aren't too interested in the 3D, but still have respect for it.

I'm always one to be interested. I've seen several who don't like "foamies" or "all REAL planes have to have a tail" or some such> I'm of the belief that if it flies, it's interesting

dan
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:26 AM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
747 Posts
Mark,
I've heard word of a new Thermic model. If you get this in time, ask Andre what is the difference with the new model. Thanks!
Chris
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:39 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
[QUOTE=jnjloo]hold on there! I never said floaties suck!! I said I wouldn't poo poo them, and would give them a try. I'm always up for something new! I just know that I'll always perfer the faster paced flight of hte slopers personally. Kinka like you said you aren't too interested in the 3D, but still have respect for it.

I'm always one to be interested. I've seen several who don't like "foamies" or "all REAL planes have to have a tail" or some such> I'm of the belief that if it flies, it's interesting

dan[/QUOTE

Hey Dan,
I didn't mean to make it sound like you were slamming the floaters. When I said floaters don't suck, I meant that they are actually pretty cool. I was actually surprised at how much I ended up enjoying their seemingly effortless flight.
Dan I really hope you like flying the floaters too because a floater event would be another excuse for us all to get together and fly.
Last edited by indy cv-62; Jan 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris country
Mark,
I've heard word of a new Thermic model. If you get this in time, ask Andre what is the difference with the new model. Thanks!
Chris
Chris,
Sorry, but I was unable to make it to the indoor flying session today so I won't be seeing Andre today.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:46 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
hold on there! I never said floaties suck!! I said I wouldn't poo poo them, and would give them a try. I'm always up for something new! I just know that I'll always perfer the faster paced flight of hte slopers personally. Kinka like you said you aren't too interested in the 3D, but still have respect for it.

dan
Hey Dan,
I didn't mean to make it sound like you were slamming the floaters. When I said floaters don't suck, I meant that they are actually pretty cool. I was actually surprised at how much I ended up enjoying their seemingly effortless flight.
Dan I really hope you like flying the floaters too because a floater event would be another excuse for us all to get together and fly.
no trouble, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't coming off as someone who was being prejudice against a type of flight. I like to fly slopers, but when the lift dies down then I like to fly whatever I can keep in the air! this would be likely to include floaters, as they fly when there's very little wind (not something we have often, but there are several days in the summer). I've never used a hi start, I think it would be fun! I can use almost any excuse to get together and fly , not a problem.

Indoor flying session?? how cool! I was just saying to marlowe the other day we should get some school to let us use their gym What type of planes to they fly in there?

I remember seeing an impressive indoor video not too long ago, I think it is this one
http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...nnheim2006.wmv
careful, it's 25minutes longs, but very neat.

I got it here,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=40

and this one too, pretty impressive
http://www.prosieben.de/wissen/multi...oplayer/38842/

enjoy!,
dan
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:07 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
oh yeah, and I think these guys are doing combat.

With the foam airplanes, combat consists of bumping each other normally. you tip, recover and keep flying, occasionally you get knocked to the ground and pick it, throw it again and keep flying. at least that's how it worked when we did it. we went the same direction, so as not to have a head on head and do alot of damage. Not sure how anyone else does it, I know they get pretty severe the guys down in colorado.

some combat videos

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:152033

http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/i...lopecombat.asf

http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/i...ompetition.asf

http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/i..._lb_combat.asf