SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
Now this is the kind of recycling that is fun and keeps things interesting, gotta love it!

Never liked golf anyway, LOL!
Chip
69M,

I should clarify that by "cart" I meant the golf bag cart, not an electric, man-carrying vehicle!

You should have seen PMT and I on our last hike to a ridge near Hood River, OR. Man, were we loaded down with "stuff" to toss off the edge! This cart would have been great for that task. (One thing you wouldn't want to have seen was us checking for ticks after that excursion!)

It is interesting, however, to consider the often simple and elegant solutions that can be devised to common problems--even if they are not always "pretty"!

Judging by the number of planes you had spread on your lawn a while back, I can see you needing something like that for a true sloping fix!

BTID,

TIO
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
69M,

I should clarify that by "cart" I meant the golf bag cart, not an electric, man-carrying vehicle!

You should have seen PMT and I on our last hike to a ridge near Hood River, OR. Man, were we loaded down with "stuff" to toss off the edge! This cart would have been great for that task. (One thing you wouldn't want to have seen was us checking for ticks after that excursion!)

It is interesting, however, to consider the often simple and elegant solutions that can be devised to common problems--even if they are not always "pretty"!

Judging by the number of planes you had spread on your lawn a while back, I can see you needing something like that for a true sloping fix!

BTID,

TIO
Hey TIO,

The words Collapsible and the phrase "haul it behind me" kind of gave away the idea it was a manual cart and not the powered kind, although the latter would be fun also.

HAHA! I will need something to carry all those planes, thank goodness they are not all flyable at this point. I am starting to get quite a collection of flyable planes though.

Right now, I just started my quarterly maintenance of charging batteries, this should take a couple of days, HAHA!
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Don't know my own strength!

Quote:
Hey TIO,

The words Collapsible and the phrase "haul it behind me" kind of gave away the idea it was a manual cart and not the powered kind, although the latter would be fun also.
Right now, I just started my quarterly maintenance of charging batteries, this should take a couple of days, HAHA!
69M,

Quarterly?!?! What's that? I thought one should just put 'em away wet and forget 'em until the following year!

Concerning the cart, didn't know I was that strong, did you?

BTID,
TIO
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:04 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Quote:
69M,

Quarterly?!?! What's that? I thought one should just put 'em away wet and forget 'em until the following year!

Concerning the cart, didn't know I was that strong, did you?

BTID,
TIO
TIO,

I've done that, put them away and forget about them somehow, it doesn't work out the way, one would hope

So I am trying to change my bad habits we will see how well this works out

Concerning your cart, just don't put the ox before the cart, I have heard that is bad Or is it the cart before the ox? I don't know, HAHA!

Take Care,
Chip
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
TIO,

If it means anything at all, I did just glance over my shoulder at my work table, and my Cobra, Coyote and DLG are still sitting there waiting for some loving attention. If nothing else, they still have my attention. I'm truly looking forward to when I can see them back in the air as indicated by the attached pictures.
Dreaming of TT,

PMT
Hey Arlen,

I want to see that Cobra fly, looks like it would be a blast!

I guess I can go back to dreaming of TT also,
Chip
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Quote:
Hey Arlen,

I want to see that Cobra fly, looks like it would be a blast!

I guess I can go back to dreaming of TT also,
Chip
Chip,
I want to see that Cobra fly also. The few times I have flown it, I was very well pleased. It seems to handle very nicely. I quit flying it when I had some wire and connector issues making the ailerons servos spaz out on me. My plan is to completely replace all the servo leads, Y harness, etc throughout the entire glider. Shouldn't be that difficult to do Just need to find the time and get after it.

TODAY would be a great day to fly, temperature wise. It's really nice and warm outside. This coming Saturday would be a good time, but I've got to catch the Bobcat playoff game since Curtis' Griz didn't make it this year

On a different note have you ever had any experience with these "pitcheron" style gliders shown in the attached video?
Blessings,
Arlen

Pitcheron Slope Glider (2 min 27 sec)
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Quote:

Chip,
I want to see that Cobra fly also. The few times I have flown it, I was very well pleased. It seems to handle very nicely. I quit flying it when I had some wire and connector issues making the ailerons servos spaz out on me. My plan is to completely replace all the servo leads, Y harness, etc throughout the entire glider. Shouldn't be that difficult to do Just need to find the time and get after it.

TODAY would be a great day to fly, temperature wise. It's really nice and warm outside. This coming Saturday would be a good time, but I've got to catch the Bobcat playoff game since Curtis' Griz didn't make it this year

On a different note have you ever had any experience with these "pitcheron" style gliders shown in the attached video?
Blessings,
Arlen

Hey Arlen,

Dang football, interrupts everything fun Had I known about today, I probably could of snuck away, too late for today though

My experience with pitcherons is limited. I have a wingeron which is set up very similar. They can be tricky to set up and you need to make sure everything is super slop free and that your servos center 100% everytime. Most gliders you can get away with some sloppiness in the set up, but with pitcherons, it will make flying them a nightmare. Small movements go a long way for performance.

What else can I answer about them?

Enjoying the day
Chip
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Thanks

Chip,
No more questions today....was "maybe" thinking in the direction of one of those 'pitcheron' type slopers, but I DO understand how sensitive they could be. I've attached another website that has lot's of info on it. I sure like the looks of that ORCA pitcheron sloper. If you follow the webpage suggestion at the bottom of that paragraph, it leads to some pretty impressive looking planes....some similar to the E-Supra you're building.
Enjoy!
Blessings,
Arlen

http://www.slopeflyer.com/soaring/or...lope-ship.html
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Hey Arlen,

Pitcherons are a different breed for sure. The wings tend to be thinner than your average slope plane, since they don't have any gear in them. They are usually designed for speed, aerobatics or both. From what I have read that Orca is one fast plane. The designs do look sharp (most of them). Some seem a bit bulbous in the fuse area around wing to fuse area. That mostly is because of the servo layout and mechanism invovled.

Adam from WWW used to sell one, called the Stingeron. It is a very nice plane.

I have been thinking about converting one of my small slope kits to pitcheron. I think it is a very doable scenario. I will keep you informed if I do. School will be out in a couple weeks, so we will see how much building I can get done in the next month to 6 weeks

Slopeflyer.com is a great site, unfortunately most of the planes reviewed on his site are discontinued or way too expensive. BUT it does have some great information about planes in general. It also has a pretty extensive list of flying sites around the U.S. I have perused over his site many a time. There are some great images there also.

Take Care,
Chip
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
The Truth

Quote:

Chip,

Blessings,
Arlen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH2buxUaaxE
PMT,

You know that infamous Jack Nicholson line, "You can't handle the truth!"? Well, 'You can't handle the pitcheron!"

TIO
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:38 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Quote:
PMT,

You know that infamous Jack Nicholson line, "You can't handle the truth!"? Well, 'You can't handle the pitcheron!"

TIO
TIO,

That is a riot

PMT,

One thing I should add about wingeron/pitcheron planes, this is their biggest advantage.

You can design and build multiple sets of wings with a variety of planforms (within reason) and airfoils and switch them out in a matter of seconds.You could theoretically have a set of thermal wings (or low lift), a set of aerobatic wings and then a set of high speed wings. OR you could experiment with airfoils all day long. Tired of the current set of wings, just build a new set and slide them on. Testing airfoils would be a blast. Build a bunch of wings with the same planform and a variety of airfoils, then you could pic the one you like best, the one that fits your flying style.

SO, when you gonna get started on a pitcheron
Chip

P.S. PMT, You might be interested in this thread, it is a wingeron instead of a pitcheron, but could easily be made into a pitcheron.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771276
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
"Ailerons, Pitcherons, and Wingerons. Oh my!"

Chip - TIO,

Oh my....the pressure seems to be mounting I will continue "looking" at the wingeron and pitcheron planes, however I would have to agree with TIO that in reality, I most likely "can't handle the pitcheron" I've had enough trouble handling ailerons. Both of my last two flights with my Coyote ended up in a disaster, and if it wasn't for TIO's love of rebuilding and repairing, that poor Coyote would have been relegated to the round file a long time ago. I am happy to report that it is now resting on my work table, repaired, recovered, balanced, and charging
Blessings,

Arlen
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Pmtprogress

Quote:
Chip - TIO,

Oh my....the pressure seems to be mounting I will continue "looking" at the wingeron and pitcheron planes, however I would have to agree with TIO that in reality, I most likely "can't handle the pitcheron" I've had enough trouble handling ailerons. Both of my last two flights with my Coyote ended up in a disaster, and if it wasn't for TIO's love of rebuilding and repairing, that poor Coyote would have been relegated to the round file a long time ago. I am happy to report that it is now resting on my work table, repaired, recovered, balanced, and charging
Blessings,

Arlen
PMT,

So it's my understanding that the Cobra is well on its way to a new nervous system. I'd love to see that plane in the air for longer flights or at least for more than a long truck ride!

M69, CLIFR, et al.,

The Flight kids are building and have a good portion of the tail feathers completed already. They are thoroughly enjoying the process! Some day, I'll have to fill you in on the funny things that happen...

Gotta run to class!

BTID,
TIO
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Quote:
PMT,

So it's my understanding that the Cobra is well on its way to a new nervous system. I'd love to see that plane in the air for longer flights or at least for more than a long truck ride!

TIO,
Well, I don't know if it's totally accurate to say that my Cobra is "well on its way,"
but it is accurate to say that it is getting a totally "new nervous system." I've
decided to replace ALL the nerves with all NEW wiring, servos, receiver, battery,
and whatever else fits the category. I just don't want to take any chances
when I finally get around to tossing it over the edge
I've gutted the fuse, but haven't made any progress on the wings.
A variety of things have interrupted my progress, most importantly
the nursing of my bride who is home with the flu.

Oh well......I just looked out the window, and it looks like it's time
to install some skis on my fuel powered planes anyhow
Blessings,
Arlen
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Flu...

Quote:

TIO,
Well, I don't know if it's totally accurate to say that my Cobra is "well on its way,"
but it is accurate to say that it is getting a totally "new nervous system." I've
decided to replace ALL the nerves with all NEW wiring, servos, receiver, battery,
and whatever else fits the category. I just don't want to take any chances
when I finally get around to tossing it over the edge
I've gutted the fuse, but haven't made any progress on the wings.
A variety of things have interrupted my progress, most importantly
the nursing of my bride who is home with the flu.

Oh well......I just looked out the window, and it looks like it's time
to install some skis on my fuel powered planes anyhow
Blessings,
Arlen
PMT,

I tried to call your wife today, but no answer. She must be sleeping. Probably best, since you'll be gone tonight, "roughing it" at the Cat playoff game. I guess I'll stay home, re-balance the Kelly, and listen to the game on the radio.

BTID,
TIO