to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:23 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
Hey Rod,

Very Nice! I love seeing bare bones frameworks

What color scheme are you thinking about going with?

Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
390 Posts
Thanks, Haven't really decided yet, but might go with yellow and black.

Here's a photo with the other project on the table
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Speed37; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
PostVapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
"."
Hey, FF,

What happened to your post. I haven't had any time or access until just now to respond.

"Tail section." There.

TIO
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:44 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
Happy thanksgiving!!!

I hope everyone finds some happiness and has reasons for thanks to celebrate in their lives! May you all have a wonderful day!

Chip & Family
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
390 Posts
Thanks Chip, Happy Thanksgiving.

I'd really like to say thanks to all of you who befriended myself and my family. Made our move to a new area much easier. Thanks you guys!!!

Thanksgiving.

For each new morning with its light, For rest and shelter of the night, For health and food, For love and friends, For everything Thy goodness sends.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
547 Posts
Thanksgiving

To my Montana Sloper Friends,

I could give thanks for many things here, but will try to keep this fairly short, and hopefully the forum moderator will give me some latitude on this Thanksgiving day 2012.

In light of this forum, I wanted to express my thankfulness for the many friends I've met both on this forum and in person. Our common interest in RC flying has been so encouraging, and the gift of your lives invested in mine over the last few years has been such a blessing. Thank you all.

I am thankful for my wife of nearly 40 years, the slow but sure recovery and healing from my quadruple by-pass heart surgery a couple years ago, three incredible granddaughters, and multitudes of other gifts of grace through the many changes in my life over the past few years.

As most of you know, I am a "semi-retired" pastor, and I've tried not to "shove" my faith down anyone's throat, either on this forum or in person. But I do want take the opportunity this Thanksgiving day to express my heart through 2 Cor 9:11 "Being enriched in everything to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God."

And now, my brother TIO and I (and our wives), are off to Billings this Thanksgiving morning to do some "sloping" off the cliffs in East Billings. I'm sure some pictures will follow.

A Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving to you all,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
547 Posts
Thanksgiving Day

TIO and I and the wives of our youths made it safely to Billings for our Thanksgiving trip. As soon as we checked into our hotel rooms, the ladies went shopping and TIO and I headed for Four Dances Bluff above the Yellowstone River on the east end of Billings. Plenty of wind, but not from a very cooperative direction. We managed to get in a minimal amount of flying, before we ended the day with a Thanksgiving meal at Denny's We were grateful for a safe day and food on our plate.

Friday morning we bounced in and out of a variety of Pawn Shops around Billings waiting for some wind to arrive. It remained a calm and beautiful day, so we found a school park with lots of room, and spent a couple hours playing around with the DLG that I bought from Curtis, and plenty of leisure floating around with my Radian. By the time we had to leave for home, the wind was just beginning....bummer
Anyhow, the trip home was safe, and I'm headed for the sack early today.
Blessings,
Arlen
Last edited by Paradise MT; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Repair bench

Merry Christmas, all you hibernating Slopers!

Just a quick update from the repair/building bench:
PMT's Coyote made a minor visit to the shop this weekend following some erratic lift at Four Dances. It's now back on PMT's shelf waiting to be balanced. Latest report from PMT himself is that the Coyote will not see action until it travels to TT for some stable wind.

TIO's Ridge Runner is now ready for the slope. Yee haw.

The students in TIO's Flight 101 class will begin construction of their class projects in earnest Tuesday. We're a bit behind because of the fire and the temporary quarters. I've had to design and build some fold-up/down countertop benches on the walls in my classroom, as well as some overhead "shelves" on which to store the building boards when class is over. I'm hoping the kids can complete their planes before school's out in May!

Not sure of my next building project. This admin stuff has been eating plenty into much of my spare time. Will keep you 'posted'--as long as it's not a surprise!
Oh, CLIFR, thought you'd like to know that I flew PMT's Radian as well as his DLG on Friday. The DLG is fun, both to fly and to launch. (I've hand tossed my Gentle Lady many times, but was wondering how well it would "gently" DL with some proper reinforcements--and allowances for the polyhedral. Knowing my tendencies, I'd bury the outboard wingtip in the dirt, break it off, and spiral the remnant into the ground!)

A Radian? Yeah, I know. Me and a powered glider...what is this sin-filled world coming to?

BTID,

TIO
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:10 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
YAAAAAAWNNNNNNNNN! Don't wake me til spring, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
TIO and I and the wives of our youths made it safely to Billings for our Thanksgiving trip. As soon as we checked into our hotel rooms, the ladies went shopping and TIO and I headed for Four Dances Bluff above the Yellowstone River on the east end of Billings. Plenty of wind, but not from a very cooperative direction. We managed to get in a minimal amount of flying, before we ended the day with a Thanksgiving meal at Denny's We were grateful for a safe day and food on our plate.

Friday morning we bounced in and out of a variety of Pawn Shops around Billings waiting for some wind to arrive. It remained a calm and beautiful day, so we found a school park with lots of room, and spent a couple hours playing around with the DLG that I bought from Curtis, and plenty of leisure floating around with my Radian. By the time we had to leave for home, the wind was just beginning....bummer
Anyhow, the trip home was safe, and I'm headed for the sack early today.
Blessings,
Arlen
Hey Arlen,

I love the silhouette shot of TIO, that is one fine image there! I am also glad to hear that the Kelly is behaving itself It sounds like you had a pretty good trip to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
Merry Christmas, all you hibernating Slopers!

Just a quick update from the repair/building bench:
PMT's Coyote made a minor visit to the shop this weekend following some erratic lift at Four Dances. It's now back on PMT's shelf waiting to be balanced. Latest report from PMT himself is that the Coyote will not see action until it travels to TT for some stable wind.

TIO's Ridge Runner is now ready for the slope. Yee haw.

The students in TIO's Flight 101 class will begin construction of their class projects in earnest Tuesday. We're a bit behind because of the fire and the temporary quarters. I've had to design and build some fold-up/down countertop benches on the walls in my classroom, as well as some overhead "shelves" on which to store the building boards when class is over. I'm hoping the kids can complete their planes before school's out in May!

Not sure of my next building project. This admin stuff has been eating plenty into much of my spare time. Will keep you 'posted'--as long as it's not a surprise!
Oh, CLIFR, thought you'd like to know that I flew PMT's Radian as well as his DLG on Friday. The DLG is fun, both to fly and to launch. (I've hand tossed my Gentle Lady many times, but was wondering how well it would "gently" DL with some proper reinforcements--and allowances for the polyhedral. Knowing my tendencies, I'd bury the outboard wingtip in the dirt, break it off, and spiral the remnant into the ground!)

A Radian? Yeah, I know. Me and a powered glider...what is this sin-filled world coming to?

BTID,

TIO
Instead of DL-ing your Lady, you could cut a finger hole in the bottom of the fuse , just behind the CG. This would allow you throw it a little more aggressively. If you really want to get into hand launching a 2 meter plane. It would definitely give you more landing/catching practice.

OK, back to hibernation, HAHA!
Chip
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:01 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,795 Posts
Quote:

Center of Balance vs Center of Gravity.

We all do, including myself use the term CG when speaking of where to balance out models. The center of gravity of a model is 3D point in space where the three axis of your model rotate in flight. The Gentle Lady does not have near enough vertical tail area below the CG to counteract the yawing moment during a DLG launch. Most likely it'll roll 90 degrees if not upside down during launch. I've seen videos of folks doing a spin type launch with their large gliders but there is a reason you don't see anything larger than 1.5meters for a DLG. That's because anything larger you'll eventually have a tip strike which will result in TIO having more time in the workshop accomplishing his magic.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Hi-start!

Thanks for the response, Sir!

Not sure about the rolling on the Gentle Lady, but I think I'll stick to bending the wings in half on a firm hi-start launch.

Well, I got my study/shop cleaned up last night and everything in its place. Now we'll have to see how long it stays there.

Have a great one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Center of Balance vs Center of Gravity.

We all do, including myself use the term CG when speaking of where to balance out models. The center of gravity of a model is 3D point in space where the three axis of your model rotate in flight. The Gentle Lady does not have near enough vertical tail area below the CG to counteract the yawing moment during a DLG launch. Most likely it'll roll 90 degrees if not upside down during launch. I've seen videos of folks doing a spin type launch with their large gliders but there is a reason you don't see anything larger than 1.5meters for a DLG. That's because anything larger you'll eventually have a tip strike which will result in TIO having more time in the workshop accomplishing his magic.

Curtis
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Pmt

Hey, PMT!

Did you get that Cobra re-wired and that Coyote balanced yet? You're not in the mood? Well, you get in the mood!

I think PMT stands for "Procrastinating Mr. T."

Et al.,

PMT forgot to mention how we hauled most of the planes the quarter mile or so up the trail to Four Dances last week. I had purchased a used but good condition collapsible golf cart at a thrift store last year for about $10. I made some modifications (still some to be made) and now can put 6 or 7 gliders on it and simply pull it behind me--definitely lighter than a full set of clubs! It folds up nicely in the trunk and is great for those places you can't drive to top.

BTID,

TIO
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
547 Posts
Over the Shoulder Glance

TIO,

If it means anything at all, I did just glance over my shoulder at my work table, and my Cobra, Coyote and DLG are still sitting there waiting for some loving attention. If nothing else, they still have my attention. I'm truly looking forward to when I can see them back in the air as indicated by the attached pictures.
Dreaming of TT,

PMT
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:50 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Hey, PMT!

Did you get that Cobra re-wired and that Coyote balanced yet? You're not in the mood? Well, you get in the mood!

I think PMT stands for "Procrastinating Mr. T."

Et al.,

PMT forgot to mention how we hauled most of the planes the quarter mile or so up the trail to Four Dances last week. I had purchased a used but good condition collapsible golf cart at a thrift store last year for about $10. I made some modifications (still some to be made) and now can put 6 or 7 gliders on it and simply pull it behind me--definitely lighter than a full set of clubs! It folds up nicely in the trunk and is great for those places you can't drive to top.

BTID,

TIO
Now this is the kind of recycling that is fun and keeps things interesting, gotta love it!

Never liked golf anyway, LOL!
Chip