Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
TIO - very nice work! You do amazing things with iron on covering.

ALES - Arlen Loves Electric Soaring
CLIFR,

Hilarious!

(And thanks. I do enjoy it. I think once I get a handle on the composite process and cost, I'll enjoy tackling the "trim" schemes there as well. For now, however, I just can't stand seeing Arlen Leaving Excellent Slopers in pieces.)

BTID,

TIO
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:02 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
OFF TOPIC RC Plane Rescue

This is great!

http://www.break.com/index/helicopte...ai=0&zi=0&ds=1

Talk about being in the right place at the right time

Enjoy!
Chip
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
No Can View

69M and CLIFR,

I cannot view your links through the school's network. Our firewall shuts it down.

On another note, I've nearly coaxed the Ridge Runner back into flying condition (that poor creature!). Given the forecast of a warmer and drier winter, it is very possible both PMT's Coyote and my Ridge Runner will see the skies again before spring! You two should both be prepared to come with us if your schedule allows! We'll try to call when the opportunity begins to appear possible.

Have a great November.

BTID,

TIO
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
69M and CLIFR,

I cannot view your links through the school's network. Our firewall shuts it down.

On another note, I've nearly coaxed the Ridge Runner back into flying condition (that poor creature!). Given the forecast of a warmer and drier winter, it is very possible both PMT's Coyote and my Ridge Runner will see the skies again before spring! You two should both be prepared to come with us if your schedule allows! We'll try to call when the opportunity begins to appear possible.

Have a great November.

BTID,

TIO
Hey TIO,

That doesn't surprise me about the link being blocked by the school. Break.com sometimes has some questionable stuff on their site, should work at the library though.

I will set aside 3 or so planes and make sure they are ready to fly at all times, so if the challenge arises I can meet it head on

Look forward to flying with you sooner than later,
Chip
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
On Hold Due To Both Busyness and Laziness

Ok.....

I check this forum almost daily, and I'm one of those guys that can't stand idleness on these forums, so I thought I'd post a brief one for today. As indicated by the attached picture, I DO have intentions of beginning some "winter work," however due to a combination of both laziness and busyness, my projects are simply taking up table space at the moment. It sure would be encouraging to get busy working on them
Being blessed while being lazy

Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
The Early Dead of Winter on the Montana Slopers Forum

PMT, et al.,

Yeah, you should see my bench! One Ridge Runner with a canopy needing a little covering patch, a new neodymium cover magnet, a re-balance, and a battery charge--sitting among other detritus!

I'm currently preparing for the Flight students in 15 minutes (as well as fending off the other admin duties that never seem to settle fully down ). The students have just finished the section on the history of flight and today will begin in earnest learning about the basic structure of aircraft. They have opened their kits and are doing a contents check today--woo hoo!

Gotta run, guys. Just be aware Helena crew that PMT and I plan to try fying over Thanksgiving in Billings if the winds allow!

BTID,

TIO
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
373 Posts
Just found this topic. Wanted to say Hi, just moved to the Helena area. Have already met and flown with a few of you folks. Looking forward to meeting and flying with more of you as the time passes. Although it would seem we don't currently have a place to fly locally(slope) I have got a Talon almost completed. So hopefully we can change that.

Take care, Rod.
Speed37 is online now Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
Still Kickin

"."
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Last edited by Freedom Flyer; Nov 18, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed37 View Post
Just found this topic. Wanted to say Hi, just moved to the Helena area. Have already met and flown with a few of you folks. Looking forward to meeting and flying with more of you as the time passes. Although it would seem we don't currently have a place to fly locally(slope) I have got a Talon almost completed. So hopefully we can change that.

Take care, Rod.
Good to hear from you, Rod!

Glad you chose to drop in and add some variety to the world of sloping in Montana. Seems we three brothers have been hogging it for a number of months the last couple years (sorry about that 69M, CLIFR, et al.!).

From "whence" did you move? How long have you been in Montana? Where have you flown before?

Which Talon do you have? Is it the model with conventional empennage or a V-tail?

Anyway, glad you're here. Hope to meet you some day soon.

-----------------------

Freedom Flyer:

Could you pack a runway in the NE alfalfa field and fly your Twist today, starting about 4:00 P.M. until sunset? Thought you might be in the mood for it. Good to see your post.

Take care, All!

BTID,

TIO
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
"."
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Last edited by Freedom Flyer; Nov 18, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
Did you mean standard tail? Ah Say, Ah Say Speak English Boy!!!!!!
Ya! I agree with you Freedom Flyer. Gurina Ingaborg, (ie - TIO) has a tendency to use them thar large sized words that us unedgeukated people don't always understand
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
Gone Flyin'
Joined Nov 2010
373 Posts
I moved from Glasgow This fall. Moved to Montana from Texas in 1984.

Have been flying since I was 14 or 15 with a loooong break to raise three children. Have flown in a couple ALES events with cloudy and 69M here and at a Billings event.

The Talon is a Dynaflite kit I bought on flea bay.
I still have the choice as to what type of tail I want. As thats all thats left to build. I'm thinking it'll be the V tail. I'm trying to do some research as to the configuration that flies better.

Rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
Good to hear from you, Rod!

Glad you chose to drop in and add some variety to the world of sloping in Montana. Seems we three brothers have been hogging it for a number of months the last couple years (sorry about that 69M, CLIFR, et al.!).

From "whence" did you move? How long have you been in Montana? Where have you flown before?

Which Talon do you have? Is it the model with conventional empennage or a V-tail?

Anyway, glad you're here. Hope to meet you some day soon.

-----------------------

Freedom Flyer:

Could you pack a runway in the NE alfalfa field and fly your Twist today, starting about 4:00 P.M. until sunset? Thought you might be in the mood for it. Good to see your post.

Take care, All!

BTID,

TIO
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Speed37; Nov 21, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed37 View Post
The Talon is a Dynaflight kit I bought on flea bay.
I still have the choice as to what type of tail I want. As thats all thats left to build. I'm thinking it'll be the V tail. I'm trying to do some research as to the configuration that flies better.
Cruciform Tail!
Why you might ask?

*Up or Down elevator gives a slight yaw.
*Left or Right rudder gives a slight pitch change.
*You can use more or less up/down deflection to cancel some of this out, similar to using less down aileron to reduce the effects of adverse yaw.
*The only gain you have is less intersection drag with the V-tail.*The surface area of the V-tails compared to the Cruciform tail is the same.

Now concerning the last statement; there are some very smart folks who have debated this ad nausea um and I believe they agree to disagree. One says they need to be the same area and the other does not.

If you prefer the V-tail looks have a nut!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:40 AM
Gone Flyin'
Joined Nov 2010
373 Posts
LOL....

Cruciform you say? Well crud, you had to go and ruin my romantic notion of a beautiful V- tailed bird...with of all things logic....

Seriously though everything you've had me do to an airplane has paid dividends. Cruciform it is...saves me from making a 100 deg. bend in the hinge as well.

Rod.
RCG Plus Member