Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 09, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; May 11, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; May 11, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Hello?

I'm again reminded of the scene in Jungle Book in which the vultures are wondering what they should or could do to alleviate their boredom. Flaps, I think, says something like, "Hey, let's flap over to the east side of the jungle--they've always got a lively scene going on."

One of the other vultures replies, "Oh, come on. Things are right dead all over." (Another vulture then comically retorts, "You mean you wish they were!")

I wonder if the same is true in the "jungle" of Montana sloping, judging by the activity here (or lack thereof?). As PMT is wont to say, "Perhaps this will stimulate some conversation."

He and I did head down to TT late Sunday afternoon in anticipation of some good flying (the north wind was blowing well when we left). Well, we spent a little over two hours in a south wind in the little bowl just east of where Chip joined us last time. It's really not ideal, but we were able to steer the Gentle Ladies back and forth quite a bit--laughing at how wildly the roiling wind tossed them about. We then flew the Ninja and the Lotus a bit, but not for long.

Hope all are doing well.

BTID,

TIO
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; May 16, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
I'm again reminded of the scene in Jungle Book in which the vultures are wondering what they should or could do to alleviate their boredom. Flaps, I think, says something like, "Hey, let's flap over to the east side of the jungle--they've always got a lively scene going on."

One of the other vultures replies, "Oh, come on. Things are right dead all over." (Another vulture then comically retorts, "You mean you wish they were!")

I wonder if the same is true in the "jungle" of Montana sloping, judging by the activity here (or lack thereof?). As PMT is wont to say, "Perhaps this will stimulate some conversation."

He and I did head down to TT late Sunday afternoon in anticipation of some good flying (the north wind was blowing well when we left). Well, we spent a little over two hours in a south wind in the little bowl just east of where Chip joined us last time. It's really not ideal, but we were able to steer the Gentle Ladies back and forth quite a bit--laughing at how wildly the roiling wind tossed them about. We then flew the Ninja and the Lotus a bit, but not for long.

Hope all are doing well.

BTID,

TIO
"WELL, what'ch wanta do?" (in a Beatles kind of English style accent)

I just may have to make another trip out that way pretty soon. Not sure about this weekend though, it is my wife's and my anniversary. SURE has been a couple of absolutely beautiful days lately.

Glad you are getting to know your Ninja better She is a sweet flying machine!

Thanks,
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old May 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
534 Posts
Sticking with RC Planes

Came across this short, but very entertaining clip and after viewing decided that I'll stick with flying my RC planes (slope, ALES, powered)
Blessings,
Arlen

Amazing video: Vulture rams paraglider mid-air, both survive (1 min 49 sec)
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old May 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
534 Posts
Any

Well guys,

Since the weather isn't cooperating for any flying, of any kind, with any of my planes today, I thought I'd share the following with you.
Enjoy!

Arlen

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...g2SSoMh032lO1b
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old May 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
To all,

Hmm, the posts have dried up...looks like it may be time to prime the proverbial pump here again. I haven't sloped any gliders lately, but I did drag my over-size, "scratch-built," rip-stop nylon box kite out of the garage attic a couple weeks ago. After some repair and revision, I've had it in the air a few times this past week. Almost forgot how fun it is to see that big thing in the air.

Well, PMT will be out of the state for a couple weeks starting this weekend, so if I were to head to TT in the next week, it will probably be by myself--unless any of you gentlemen were able to show up. I'm not sure if FF would be able to find time to come along. He's been very busy with work here as well as in ND.

Hope this finds you all well.

BTID,

TIO
Old May 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
To all,

Hmm, the posts have dried up...looks like it may be time to prime the proverbial pump here again. I haven't sloped any gliders lately, but I did drag my over-size, "scratch-built," rip-stop nylon box kite out of the garage attic a couple weeks ago. After some repair and revision, I've had it in the air a few times this past week. Almost forgot how fun it is to see that big thing in the air.

Well, PMT will be out of the state for a couple weeks starting this weekend, so if I were to head to TT in the next week, it will probably be by myself--unless any of you gentlemen were able to show up. I'm not sure if FF would be able to find time to come along. He's been very busy with work here as well as in ND.

Hope this finds you all well.

BTID,

TIO
The impeller must be broken.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,832 Posts
No wind?
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old May 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, Mt, Anaconda
Joined Sep 2006
175 Posts
Anaconda Sloping

Hey guys,

I finally got a chance to slope in Montana. I found a little place within the Mt. Haggin Wildlife Management Area right off the Mill Creek Rd (between Anaconda and Wise River). This area was logged a long time ago (probably to feed the smelter) and it looks like a fire had pushed through at one time or another. The ridge I flew was right off the road. It was a bit of a hike to reach the ridge (~20 min) and the new snow didn't make it any easier. The ridge is probably best in WSW through NW winds.

Plenty of fun front side (just a couple of dead trees to dodge), and a really decent backside that doesn't require skimming the ground to stay below the shear. The DS pocket is really pretty big.

Here's the coordinates:
Lat: 46 2'11.54"N
Long: 11258'43.30"W

I can't wait to try it again with a decent west wind.

Jim
jjonas is offline Find More Posts by jjonas
Old May 29, 2012, 03:04 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Welcome Jim,

That is great news, my dad lives in Anaconda. I have been looking for a slope when I go to visit him and have flown up behind his house on a couple of occasions, but it was pretty turbulent.

I need to make a trip over there pretty soon, I will let you know when I do, maybe we can hit that spot up.

Thanks,
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old May 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2006
175 Posts
Hi Chip,

Drop me a note before you head over and we'll try to fly up there.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
No wind?
A10FLYR,

Actually, the sloping winds have been quite good lately--just haven't been able to take adavantage. Yesterday, for instance, the winds came up strong from the north--a perfect TT day--but I was trying to get the lawn mowed and couldn't get away.

BTID,
TIO
Old May 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Lz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
Hey guys,

I finally got a chance to slope in Montana. The ridge is probably best in WSW through NW winds.

Plenty of fun front side (just a couple of dead trees to dodge), and a really decent backside that doesn't require skimming the ground to stay below the shear. The DS pocket is really pretty big.

Here's the coordinates:
Lat: 46 2'11.54"N
Long: 11258'43.30"W

I can't wait to try it again with a decent west wind.

Jim
JJonas,

From the looks of the pics, seems the LZ rules out balsa. Would have to bring the 126.

Have fun!

BTID,

TIO
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2006
175 Posts
Anaconda Sloping

Here's a photo of the grassy LZ. A little bit south of the backside bowl, but still right on the ridge.

I'm still trying to figure out how to gauge when the wind is blowing good up there since there's no good weather stations along that pass (that I know of). The last week has be marginal every time I'm up there...but I'll keep trying.