HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
545 Posts
Missing Colors

FF,

I think TIO put those missing colors on his still unfinished Ninja. It sure is 'perty.' Just waiting for him to post some pix on this forum for our friends to enjoy.

(Looking forward to your return from the ND wasteland.)
Blessings,

PMT
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:48 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
434 Posts
shizzle

Just thought you'd like to know, FF

..fo shizzle 773 up, 208 down
A term that is by most of the population thought to mean "for sure" or any number of agreements. The true meaning, however, is "I concur with you whole heartedly my fellow African brother."
Ghetto black man: "Fo shizzle my nizzle!"
Rich black man in response: "I concur with you whole heartedly my fellow African brother."
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:36 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
2012 March ALES (ALICE) contest

Hey All,

I have posted a ton of pics in the Mt ALES thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=48

I would also like to welcome back Marlowe from Great Falls. SO great to see you again. Glad you are doing well!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone is having a great day!
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:17 PM
Great Falls, MT.
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
Glad to be back actually

Had fun Chip. Glad to be here. I'm sure you will be seeing more of me.
marlowe is offline Find More Posts by marlowe
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
545 Posts
Shafted

Greetings Guys (and Gals),

Just a brief update. As all the guys who were at the March ALES event know, my Oracle 93, which you all pretty much built for me, performed wonderfully. I was blessed to win the first heat in Group A, but then when landing, I bent the shaft on my Motrolfly motor. That pretty much put an end to finishing the day with my Oracle. I'm glad I brought my "takes a licking and keeps on ticking Radian" along, as I was able to finish the day with it, and make a fairly respectable showing. By the way, for my brothers FF and TIO, I wanted to apply another acronym to myself for ALES: Always Looking for Extra Soaring.

Anyhow, after some internet searching and a few e-mails, Ken at Subsonic Planes in Omaha, NE quickly responded and offered to help my situation by giving me some options for repairing my motor. I mailed it to him Monday morning, and he will replace the shaft, and return the motor along with an addition shaft, all for only $6.00. That was a blessing for me. So, to make a long story shorter, I should be back in the air with my Oracle 93 by the end of this week, or early next week at the latest.

Many thanks to Curtis, Chip, Jim, Joe and the others for all your work, help and encouragement that made the day so enjoyable. Will now focus my attention on a trip to Table Top for a whole different soaring experience.
Blessings!

Arlen
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:31 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
Pictures

Hey all,

I just posted in the Mt ALES thread
"On a side note, if anyone wants full resolution images of the photo's that I have taken, send me an e-mail and I will send them to you via e-mail.
*NOTE-I will only send images of people to the people in the images. *"

Same goes here, if there is anything I have posted that you would like in better resolution, please let me know, and I will get those images to you.

My e-mail is lovetoslope@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2010
545 Posts
YaHoooooooo!

Greetings to my friends on this Slopers site,

Just a short note, (minus pictures), to let you know that I replaced the motor on my Oracle 93 and flew it for a couple of hours late afternoon yesterday. She climbed like a rocket, and floated like a feather in the chilled early evening air. I was able to get about a dozen decent climbs out of the battery before it refused to let me climb anymore. Had a lot of fun spending time with my brother FF as he brought along his Radian and we found some thermals over the top of my other brother TIO's house.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to make the April ALES event, (if it's on the 28th), as I have committed to officiate at a wedding for a young guy that I've known since his birth. Will miss my time with you all, but perhaps we can link up at Table Top before or after. My slope planes are starting to bark at me from the garage
Blessings!

Arlen
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:31 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
434 Posts
Oracle

As PMT stated,
We had the opportunity to take a bit of time and do a little electric sailplane flight, Am amazed at how quickly that plane climbs, kinda makes the Radian look like a Pinto in comparison to a Mach 1. I do however still enjoy flying the Radian as it is a 1-2 minute flight prep before it's in the air. Was fun to fly with the Oracle just to see how it would compare, and to prove to me that I wouldn't be joining the ALES ranks anytime soon. It was fun to catch a bit of lift and stay up a bit longer than Arlen on one power up. Could see where it might be fun, but once again, time being one factor, my non competitive nature another, and my having to go all out to attain a ship that I would be able to compete with, makes it more likely that it won't happen. With my new vocation being out of the area, when coming home, I find myself somewhat busier than expected, so adding another notch to the RC belt would be an impossibility. I am hoping that when assigned to my permanent site location I will be able to scout for some slope sites during my off hours. There is plenty of wind and lots of hills that are possibilities, the question would be access and distance, will keep youl posted. Hope all is well with everyone. FF
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
545 Posts
Yikes!

Well, as my brother FF has always said, "If you're gonna fly, you're gonna wreck." How true that was today.

I was out catching some big time thermals this afternoon, and ended the day hauling home a fairly damaged Oracle. Caught one thermal that was so huge it took my Oracle too high - too quick. I learned, (the hard way), that I can not bring that particular plane down too quickly because the wing tips literally snapped off. Amazing how poorly a plane will fly when parts of the wing are missing, especially the parts that contain the ailerons! One tip departed at about 300 meters high, sending the rest of the plane into a spiraling panic. That in turn caused the other tip to snap off, sending the remainder of the plane into an even worse spiral. I tried my best to level it out with the rudder and elevator, but it still landed with the nose and right root of the center wing piece buried approx 8 inches in, (fortunately) a moist ground. Broke the first five ribs on one side of the center wing piece, put some major stress cracks in the boom about 2/3 the way back from the fuse, bent the shaft on my brand new motor, and broke the root rib on one of the tips, tearing out the aluminum liner of the wing joiner shaft. Also lost both aluminum wing joining rods. (They both came loose and fell from about 250 meters, never to be found again.)

I have since e-mailed Fred at Polecat Aero Planes, and he said he's get the needed parts out to me a.s.a.p. In the meanwhile, it looks like I'm going to convert my mom's kitchen counter into a work bench as I try to get it flyable again. I've attached a few pix of the damage. Hopefully, I will be able to have it airborne inside of a couple of weeks.
Blessings!

Arlen
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
As PMT stated,
We had the opportunity to take a bit of time and do a little electric sailplane flight, Am amazed at how quickly that plane climbs, kinda makes the Radian look like a Pinto in comparison to a Mach 1. I do however still enjoy flying the Radian as it is a 1-2 minute flight prep before it's in the air. Was fun to fly with the Oracle just to see how it would compare, and to prove to me that I wouldn't be joining the ALES ranks anytime soon. It was fun to catch a bit of lift and stay up a bit longer than Arlen on one power up. Could see where it might be fun, but once again, time being one factor, my non competitive nature another, and my having to go all out to attain a ship that I would be able to compete with, makes it more likely that it won't happen. With my new vocation being out of the area, when coming home, I find myself somewhat busier than expected, so adding another notch to the RC belt would be an impossibility. I am hoping that when assigned to my permanent site location I will be able to scout for some slope sites during my off hours. There is plenty of wind and lots of hills that are possibilities, the question would be access and distance, will keep youl posted. Hope all is well with everyone. FF
FF,

I realize the time constraints. I wouldn't view this ALES business as competition. It's just flying alongside someone else and seeing how well you do. Just like you did with Arlen.

Also, the Radian is a better plane for ALES than you think. Here's a quote from a recent contest in Washington state:
Quote:
Don't let anyone tell you Radians are at a severe disadvantage in windy conditions either. It was blowing 12 to 15 mph most of the day with gusts to 21 and the Radian still placed first.
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post

Done. (I think.) Just a couple pics to show the LEDs during daylight. Should be good for that "dusky" period when the wind is still blowing and I can't quite see the plane as well as I'd like. Should give a little extra time at the end of the day.
What? Why is there a picture of a Slope plane in an ALES forum?
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks