HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Yay!! Thats is indeed what is referred to as a no brainer.

Very cute indeed, congratulations!

Dan
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,322 Posts
Grandpa! Congratulations!

TIO: I'm sure you'll have a winner of a flyer!

Chip: Please report back how Mikalae's bridge project works out. It looks good!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Congrats Arlen! That's so cool

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,322 Posts
TIO,

Sorry but I only help out Alice people. Ha ha Hey wait, a gentle lady with an electric power pod would work great as an ALES plane!

I'm quite busy but I need to know the all up model weight as is, the type of battery they wish to use and is there a limit on money, I realize the gov't has no limit but most normal people like you and I do. Ha ha

Do they prefer USA companies to purchase from or is Hobby King okay?

Then I'll see what I can put together but it'll be a week or so.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
I'll try here one more time to see if anyone bites. The local hobby shop guys have very little time for such inquiries it seems.

Thanks.

TIO
Hey TIO,

I thought this might be an interesting idea, putting an EDF unit on top of the plane. There is a small version at Tower hobbies -
http://www.electrifly.com/ductedfans/gpma1581.html

You can buy the parts for the EDF unit seperately

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAWZZ&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXAD&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXAE&P=Z

The only other power pod I can think of off hand would be the Cox version for a TD .051 gas motor with tank or the Black Widow motor. You might be able to convert it to electric.

Hey wait, I just found this one for 2 meter gliders at Tower Hobbies

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ769&P=7

Good Luck
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
534 Posts
Progress

Well, what can I say?

I should probably say a lot more than I will here, but let me first offer another giant 'thank you' to the Helena crew for sacrificing their entire day to build and assemble my newly purchased Oracle 93. I drove the hour and a half to Helena yesterday morning arriving about 10:00 am. When I pulled up in Joe's driveway, the shop door was open and five friends were standing around the work table eagerly, or should I say 'dreading' the day at hand. Curtis and Jim got things going having everyone tackle different parts on this new project. About 9 hours later, my Oracle 93 was very close to finished. All that's left for me to finish is hooking up and adjusting the elevator and rudder servos, and then finding some way to "adjust" the wing tip installation, AND then some paint to the fuse to make it 'perty.' The "pins" that the wing tips are supposed to slide on to were badly misaligned, and will take some time and accuracy to correct. At this point in time, I'm not sure I'll have it ready to fly by next weekend's first ALES event, but I'll try.

I have to confess that I was blown away by the skill and experience of the Helena crew in accomplishing what I personally had no experience in doing. Thank you Jim for the extra time and effort with the flap servos, doors, radio programing, multiple other areas, and the trip to your home for a folding prop hub. Thank you Curtis for your input and participation in literally every area and phase of the build. Thank you Chip for your help and skill in several areas of the build. Thank you George for the several things that you helped with. Thank you Joe for allowing everyone to invade and mess up your shop, for providing so many tools and supplies in getting the job done, and for your help and skill in the mounting of the tail feathers and servo platform.

Knowing that I will be using this Oracle to compete against all of you, I marvel that you did your best in the build. Again, my sincerest thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all sooner than later.
Blessings!
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post

I don't even fly ALES, and I'm thankful for your help for PMT. Bless you.

[/FONT]
There will come a day you'll say, now why hadn't I tried that ALES stuff earlier. It's just a simple way to launch a sailplane in less than 30 seconds. No hassle with chasing a hi-start or the expense and complexity of a winch.

Thanks for the nice words. It would have been nice to have had your expertise there as well. From the models I've see you fly/build they are superb, as would your flying skills be in a flat land soaring session.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,322 Posts
TIO,

I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor at the social event.

Have you ever tried a Hose Monster Hi-Start mandrel dipped tubing?
http://www.aerofoam.com/products.htm

I've had one now for 15 years and I do not take care of it as I should, it sits in the garage all winter and then I ask it to work for me in the summer and it's continuing to do so. Amazing stuff that Hosemonster!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
Well, what can I say?

I should probably say a lot more than I will here, but let me first offer another giant 'thank you' to the Helena crew for sacrificing their entire day to build and assemble my newly purchased Oracle 93. I drove the hour and a half to Helena yesterday morning arriving about 10:00 am. When I pulled up in Joe's driveway, the shop door was open and five friends were standing around the work table eagerly, or should I say 'dreading' the day at hand. Curtis and Jim got things going having everyone tackle different parts on this new project. About 9 hours later, my Oracle 93 was very close to finished. All that's left for me to finish is hooking up and adjusting the elevator and rudder servos, and then finding some way to "adjust" the wing tip installation, AND then some paint to the fuse to make it 'perty.' The "pins" that the wing tips are supposed to slide on to were badly misaligned, and will take some time and accuracy to correct. At this point in time, I'm not sure I'll have it ready to fly by next weekend's first ALES event, but I'll try.

I have to confess that I was blown away by the skill and experience of the Helena crew in accomplishing what I personally had no experience in doing. Thank you Jim for the extra time and effort with the flap servos, doors, radio programing, multiple other areas, and the trip to your home for a folding prop hub. Thank you Curtis for your input and participation in literally every area and phase of the build. Thank you Chip for your help and skill in several areas of the build. Thank you George for the several things that you helped with. Thank you Joe for allowing everyone to invade and mess up your shop, for providing so many tools and supplies in getting the job done, and for your help and skill in the mounting of the tail feathers and servo platform.

Knowing that I will be using this Oracle to compete against all of you, I marvel that you did your best in the build. Again, my sincerest thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all sooner than later.
Blessings!
Arlen
Hey Arlen,

You are most welcome. I had a lot of fun working on your plane.

I was thinking about that alignment pin, I be it would be quicker to just cut it off and set up a whole new one just in front of the existing one. I would set it about 1/4 inch in front of the existing one. Just make a hole in say, the center panel that you can place your tube in, then use another alignment pin ( either a carbon rod or piano wire) to mark the location on the tip panel, drill and glue the alignment pin in place. Just a thought.

I hope your having a wonderful day!
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
Beauty Idea Chip,

Curtis, that rubber looks like a great product, gonna check it out.

Joe, Curtis, George, Jim and Chip what a beautiful job you guys did on the Oracle, Hmmm..... I saw pictures of all of YOU working, and none of the glider owner working, I noticed a Harley sitting there in one of the pictures, was he out riding whilst you all were slaving? :-)
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Last edited by Freedom Flyer; Mar 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM.