HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:27 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Coaxial Helicopter-1 / Uberlite-0

Well another Friday indoor flying session is behind us.

My son had his first midair. He was flying his Uberlite indoor plane and his sister was flying his coaxial helicopter. She was hovering about 2 feet off the floor in front of us. My son flying his Uberlite around the gym having a good time. He flew past us, made a left U turn, lost a little altittude and flew right into the side of the helicopter. A moment of chaos insued as the helicopter chewed away at the plane. Rotors and foam wing struture flailed around with the sound of rotors impacting carbon rods and ultralight wing film. Then the inevitable thud as both aircraft fell to the floor. A few OH's, Ah's and OH-NO's and it was all over. Both laying motionless on the floor of the gym. Unfortunately as we untangled the wreckage, the Uberlite came out the loser. Broken wing frame and motor mount. The helicopter flew the rest of the night without any problems.

Poor guy was crushed as it happened 15 minutes after we arrived. We managed to have fun anyway, flying the 2 coaxial heli's we had. My son later found a roll of tape in our truck, so we tried to tape the motor mount back together and use the bi-plane wing set that comes with the setup. He managed a couple of circuits, but stall close to the ground wiped out the wing mount on the lower wing, so we had to pack it up also. Hopefully a little carbon tow and we will be back in action again, hate seeing something happen like this. He absolutely loves this Uberlite plane. BUT it sure was a spectacular midair, just wished I had video taped it.

I hope all are having a great weekend!
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Flying

Curtis,

I'm a bit on the envious side, hearing that you've been able to spend some time in those areas in Europe. My ability to go there is extremely limited at this season in my life, but only the Lord knows whether or not that's a possibility down the road.

The Oregon picture you posted certainly does look like the Alps. I've also noticed in those videos over in the Alps that there is seldom a lot of wind. Mostly gentle breezes at best. Apparently a lot of that flying is also due to giant thermals. I all but forgot about that annual fly-in over in Oregon. Do you know when this year's dates are? Perhaps if I know in advance, I could make a valiant attempt at going this year.

Chip,
I couldn't help but chuckle as I reflected back on a mid-air that I had with my brother Freedom Flyer. He was flying his Vapor, and I think I was flying my Ember. I ran right into him and my prop tore up his clear transparent wing pretty good. At the time he just taped it and kept flying. I think he later replaced the entire wing.
Blessings!

Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Blue"]Curtis,
I all but forgot about that annual fly-in over in Oregon. Do you know when this year's dates are? Perhaps if I know in advance, I could make a valiant attempt at going this year.
July 5th through the 9th.

Teaser video I put together in 2008.
Alpine Soaring Adventure 2008 (3 min 44 sec)

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:07 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,549 Posts
Chip,

Sorry about the crash but awesome story, especially the way your wrote it! I felt like I was right there!

Curtis

PS Perhaps mid week I'll be ready for another help session from you if you're available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Chip,

Sorry about the crash but awesome story, especially the way your wrote it! I felt like I was right there!

Curtis

PS Perhaps mid week I'll be ready for another help session from you if you're available.
Curtis,

Thanks,my son is still not happy about the midair, but it was really cool. Had never seen a plane and a heli midair. All in all, not that much damage was done, just enough to keep him from flying the plane again. I should have it fixed by tomorrow

Just let me know when you want me to come over and I will be there to help out.
Chip
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
I've got blisters on my finger
Bermuda Dunes, CA
Joined Mar 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
July 5th through the 9th.

Teaser video I put together in 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOqKTp7bT8

Curtis
What a great time that was.
jeffvrba is offline Find More Posts by jeffvrba
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Yuppers

TIO,

Yuppers......I spotted that "naked" Bird of Time the first time I watched Curtis' video. I remember thinking: "Poor thing.....all it can do is slope. It has no power to climb into the higher realms and soar with the hawks and eagles when there's no wind."
Here's to power-pods!

PMT
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Feb 24, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:59 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,549 Posts
Quote:
TIO,

Yuppers......I spotted that "naked" Bird of Time the first time I watched Curtis' video. I remember thinking: "Poor thing.....all it can do is slope. It has no power to climb into the higher realms and soar with the hawks and eagles when there's no wind."
Here's to power-pods!

PMT
That's Don Bailey's Bird of Time. He sure flew that plane a lot! Over the Snake River at Memaloose and then flat land soaring down at the Golf driving range in Joseph, OR.

Don writes some very nice articles for some of the model airplane magazines.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Ordered!!!

Curtis, Chip, FF, TIO and other Montana Slope Forum friends,

For any of you that care to follow along, I'd thought I'd post an occasional update on my newest venture. I realize that this is a 'slope soaring' forum, but so many of my 'sloping friends' frequent this forum, that I want to keep you in the loop concerning my most recent project. I just visited for awhile on the phone with Fred from New York and ordered a new Polecat Aeroplane Works Oracle 93 to use in ALES events, mild wind slope soaring days, and zero wind thermalling days. I've attached a picture of an Oracle 93, however the colors I ordered are blue and yellow[/B]
, not red and yellow. Will keep you updated as this project continues.
Blessings!

Arlen

P.S. - Maybe now I'll be able to give Curtis some competition at our ALES events
Last edited by Paradise MT; Feb 24, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,549 Posts
Quote:

Arlen

P.S. - Maybe now I'll be able to give Curtis some competition at our ALES events
Yea, and the other models that are coming to Helena; such as two more eSupra's, a scratch built woodie that is similar to the eSupra and a Predator that will also be very competitive.

With all these new competition class models it's going to come down to the pilot's ability to read air and land on time.

I've seen that it doesn't take much as Arlen has been superb from the start!

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Covering

Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
ALES e-Supra/Legend

Quote:
Curtis, Chip, FF, TIO and other Montana Slope Forum friends,

For any of you that care to follow along, I'd thought I'd post an occasional update on my newest venture. I realize that this is a 'slope soaring' forum, but so many of my 'sloping friends' frequent this forum, that I want to keep you in the loop concerning my most recent project. I just visited for awhile on the phone with Fred from New York and ordered a new Polecat Aeroplane Works Oracle 93 to use in ALES events, mild wind slope soaring days, and zero wind thermalling days. I've attached a picture of an Oracle 93, however the colors I ordered are blue and yellow[/B]
, not red and yellow. Will keep you updated as this project continues.
Blessings!

Arlen

Very Nice Arlen!

That should fly really nice! The flaps should help alot ( not that you need it ) with the spot landings.

I couldn't wait any longer to unveil my impromptu ALES winter project. So I gathered the few pieces I have and set up a mock up bench (couch) fly . This really got me excited, so I thought I would share. It is a Supra wing layed up by Curtis and I at his house, a Legend fuse, and horizontal stab off of an Art Hobby Ibis. Now that I have these pieces I can start with all the other bits, rudder, servos, motor, ESC, fitting all this together and finally painting it Still a lot of work to be done, so I will have to keep flying the Cularis until it is finished, but hoping no more than a month or so.

I hope all is well with everyone!
Chip