HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
Looks like we're going to have to start another "slope" forum, too much ales and DS talk for me
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
Looks like we're going to have to start another "slope" forum, too much ales and DS talk for me
Well tell us a good slope story

Believe me, If I could find a good slope within 20 miles of me, I would be flying rather than playin on my computer

I have stuff that needs a maiden flight and other stuff that needs to be dusted off, LOL!
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:00 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
ALES, ALES, ALES, ALES!

You don't know what you're missing in flying ALES but I'll keep the ALES talk on the Montana ALES forum I started for those interested in ALES; it's a great place to find out all that's going on with ALES in Montana!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post20583150

Curtis "ALES" Pioneer in Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
I too like ales, pail ales, and the like.....anything but domestics. How can anyone build a sloper without an ale now an then?
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Ha!

Curtis,
I have to tell you that your preceding entry is not only really funny, but VERY clever.
Cheers to ALES and SLOPE SOARING!
Blessings!
Arlen

P.S. - Perhaps our forum followers would enjoy the following pix offered by a gentleman named Phil Cooke

http://philjcooke.jalbum.net/Great%2...April%202011/#
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:21 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,647 Posts
Quote:
Curtis,
I have to tell you that your preceding entry is not only really funny, but VERY clever.
Cheers to ALES and SLOPE SOARING!
Blessings!
Arlen
I am not sure if Freedom Flyer was serious or not so I hopefully replied in a way that could be taken either way! You know that he is plane crazy, well at least that's what it says under his Avatar.

Curtis
Table Top Rocks!
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:27 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
Kidding

Curtis,
Just kidding, I have personally not participated in the ALES for 2 reasons, ok 3 reasons. 1st) Time, don't have any extra, I don't even have time to fly regular slope soaring 28 miles away let alone the additional distance to Helena 2nd) Another additional cost, more money for the altimeter sensor switch or whatever that device is called 3rd) (and probably the most truthful) I'm a big baby and anything that combines the words competition and Radio Control makes me too nervous to fly in front of anyone that I don't know very well. I've never even liked to compete at the goofy club fun fly contests.... go figure. I'm glad that you guys enjoy it, that's what makes this hobby great, there are many avenues one can take. More power to those that can juggle their time well enough to be able to take advantage of those avenues. Hopefully I will be able to be on the slope more as there are some changes coming my direction soon that could possibly allow that to happen. Now, that being said, if this turns into a DS forum..... Tracy
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:46 PM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Wish i was home to take a picture,
That table looks clean next to mine.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
All,

In the last few months, I’ve been doing more research and study of composite layups, molding, and vacuum forming as applied to RC sloping. (Thank you, Curtis, for helping to spur my latent interest in its possibilities. I must point up the fact, however, that most of my Flight students are not craftsmen by nature. But, they actually do leave the class with not only some knowledge of glassing and composite materials, but also with at least some life-long skills—and patience—in the subtleties of shaping and working with balsa and other woods. Hmm…much can be discussed about that.)

Anyway, I’ve been looking back at some of my own build pictures and was reminded of how cluttered things can get on my table when I’ve been working on a project for a while—yes, I can let items accumulate on the table!

HOWEVER, I ran across this picture in a recent viewing of some RC sites, and realized my table is in relatively good order in contrast to this. (It’s probably grounds for arrest when I think of how clean Curtis’s workbench is in his video!)

So, enjoy your work areas, whatever shape they may be in!

Always BTID,

TIO

P.S.
To WWW,

Funny, but it is possible! I do have trouble keeping certain projects going without a certain ALICE finding out, however!
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Ninja Update

Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Trim Scheme

TIO,

Since this is a slope soaring forum, and you've been laboring for two years on building and finishing your slope soaring Ninja, I thought I'd offer a suggestion for your trim scheme. The attached picture is, I believe, of a Kawasaki Ninjette. I dare you to duplicate that trim scheme

PMT
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:05 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Radian trip number 2 with lessons

Hey all!

Well, I took my son over to the indoor flying in Helena Friday night and let him fly his coaxial heli there. He has a LOT more room to practice forward flight with it than in the living room here at home. While we were there he got a chance to try out an Uberlite from Flyzone. He managed to crash land a few times, LOL! but he did manage to get in 3 or 4 flights with his Heli before we had to leave. He had a GREAT time! He is looking forward to Friday nights now!

SO!! Today I grabbed the Radian and quickly set up a buddy box and we went to the park around the corner and he got to get almost 2 hours of stick time on the Radian. More than once he exclaime "this is fun, we need to do this more!" WOOHOO! He's hooked, well at least for this week, LOL! He is a 9 year old kid, LOL! I had a blast running it to some altittude and just letting him fly it, not worrying about what he was doing too much. I had mostly practice on turns, which he did VERY well. The only problem I had is the radio installed in the Radian is a computer radio and the buddy box is not, so I couldn't quite get enough down trim in on the buddy box, so it had a tendency to porpoise, sometimes not settling down enough, that I would have to take over. We landed it and got set up a little better, but I didn't have the tools to fix it properly, so we flew it like that anyway. Overall he did great! We went through 2 fully charged batteries, then brought it home in ONE piece

While we were there flying we had several spectators, one father with his two little ones, they watched for almost half an hour, that was pretty cool.

What a great way to not be watching the SuperBowl, LOL!

Just got done charging one of my batteries from flying today and You know you have gotten full use out of your battery, when your charger puts 1355mah into a 1300mah battery, LOL!

I hope all is well with everyone!
Chip
Who has created a little monster, and loves what he has created, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
TIO,

Since this is a slope soaring forum, and you've been laboring for two years on building and finishing your slope soaring Ninja, I thought I'd offer a suggestion for your trim scheme. The attached picture is, I believe, of a Kawasaki Ninjette. I dare you to duplicate that trim scheme

PMT
Arlen,

I love this new flame job technique. I am thinking about which plane I can duplicate this onto. Of course I will have to wait until we hit 70 degrees to attempt it, but I do want to give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjloo View Post
Wish i was home to take a picture,
That table looks clean next to mine.......
YOU GUYS HAVE WORK BENCHES?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
Chip, Curtis, FF, PMT, JNJ, et al.,

Well, I'll quickly try this again (was interrupted earlier and the text went away).

As far as the forum's new format, the jury is still out for me.

Ninja: wing nav lights installed and ready for trim scheme (trying to finalize that as well); radio gear sitting ready to mount. I hope to finish--as I told PMT the other day--by the end of May (yes, I know I'mslow!). As FF, PMT, and Chip know, it's not like I never work on other planes at the same time!

Have a great day, guys!

BTID,

TIO
TIO,

I will include an image of one I designed for a contest a while back. You are free to use it if you want.

I think that flame job has some merit though, I am thinking about where or what I can duplicate that onto.
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Feb 05, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Chip!
How exciting!!!! I can hear it in your post. . How very cool for Robbie to start taking a liking in your hobby!! Makes it so much better. And I know you'll be a super dad and make it fun for him. Makes it sad when guys kill it by getting mad at the kids for breaking something or too competitive or something.

Hopefully he sticks with it! Do your best, I know you will

I got an extra 300 umx from eflight here at work (sorry, another non slope post ). And it's been SO fun. It's perfect for the hangar here at work (hint hint Curtis ).

New guy just showed up at work who's a big sloper, but he's on my opposite hitch

And my "workbench" consists of a card table I move from room to room lolol

Dan (at work, big delay)
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:35 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Check out the ember 2 for Robbie too, I got it first for work. Very! Stable and slow and fun. I think I might have gotten my friend here at work today hooked with it. He solo'd it today and had a blast.