HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:23 AM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
marlowe, does the wind go into there often?

I've been up to woods siding several times (it's about 5 miles south of hogsback) and it just should have been a great place, several thousand foot drop, but the wind never cooperated. Chip was up there one time. I camped there and no luck. There's got to be a good spot in there somewhere, I'm definately up for giving it a try
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,653 Posts
I'd think in the summer that Hogback would produce phenomenal thermals if the wind didn't cooperate. However, it takes a lot of balls to throw a model off the side of the mountain without a motor. But that's where I test the waters if you will with an electric glider and if I can't find lift I'll just start the motor. However, if I am finding lift consistently I'll throw a non-motor plane off the cliff.

I did just that in Memaloose over the snake river canyon 4,000' below and there was absolutely no wind, none whatsoever and I flew for over an hour doing all the aerobatics that I wanted too. Awesome!!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR
I'd think in the summer that Hogback would produce phenomenal thermals if the wind didn't cooperate. However, it takes a lot of balls to throw a model off the side of the mountain without a motor. But that's where I test the waters if you will with an electric glider and if I can't find lift I'll just start the motor. However, if I am finding lift consistently I'll throw a non-motor plane off the cliff.

I did just that in Memaloose over the snake river canyon 4,000' below and there was absolutely no wind, none whatsoever and I flew for over an hour doing all the aerobatics that I wanted too. Awesome!!

Curtis

a good plan that!,

I love my elec easy glider for that very reason! you don't have to worry, well, what if I have to hike for it? And you can go cruising around the slope looking here and there for lift, and if it's not there, you don't have to panic.

I smell a road trip

dan
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:12 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
tis a no fly here tomorrow, high of 4deg F, which is too cold even for me

dan
Old Jan 19, 2008, 04:08 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
finding out who owns flying sites

hey guys,
I was driving around today looking (again) for flying sites, when I thought that I might be able to be of help to you all possibly.

When I find a spot that I'd like to fly on, I go to the montana cadastral mapping program
http://gis.mt.gov/

1. left click on "property map"

2. on the bottom right you can zoom to a county or city (or you can use the "zoom in" in the upper left)

3. once you zoom in go to "layers" on the right hand side, and click on roads and streams, to make it easier to find, then click "refresh map"

4. It's a process, but you can find it. you can move around the small pic without zooming on by clicking on "pan"

5. once you get to where you want to be, click on "find by parcel" and then left click on the parcel (piece of land) you want to find the owner for.

6. once in this mode, if you have the wrong parcel, simply left click on the one you want

7. when you get the right one highlighted in yellow, click identify and it will tell you the owners name, tax address, and info

another way to do it is to do it in a different order
instead of step 5, just hit identify, and left click on a parcel.

then click "find by parcel" and left click on the same piece of land.

it will number the surrounding pieces of land, and come up with info about each in reference to a number, you can then hit "view detailed CAMA records" and find out more details for one individual parcel. that way it shows you all hte surrounding parcels, so you can look and see if you have the right one.

it takes me a hour or more, often, to find a landowner, but you can do it. Then you can call them, or at least know who to ask about permission. And know how to address them when you go up to them.

Hopefully this will be of help, and not just a confusing mess. I found it a few years back, and it's very helpful, and very scary how much info is in there. look yourself up! it tells house values, land values, and sizes for every bulding you have and how well it's finished

for what it's worth

dan
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjloo
hey guys,
I was driving around today looking (again) for flying sites, when I thought that I might be able to be of help to you all possibly.

When I find a spot that I'd like to fly on, I go to the montana cadastral mapping program
http://gis.mt.gov/

1. left click on "property map"

2. on the bottom right you can zoom to a county or city (or you can use the "zoom in" in the upper left)

3. once you zoom in go to "layers" on the right hand side, and click on roads and streams, to make it easier to find, then click "refresh map"

4. It's a process, but you can find it. you can move around the small pic without zooming on by clicking on "pan"

5. once you get to where you want to be, click on "find by parcel" and then left click on the parcel (piece of land) you want to find the owner for.

6. once in this mode, if you have the wrong parcel, simply left click on the one you want

7. when you get the right one highlighted in yellow, click identify and it will tell you the owners name, tax address, and info

another way to do it is to do it in a different order
instead of step 5, just hit identify, and left click on a parcel.

then click "find by parcel" and left click on the same piece of land.

it will number the surrounding pieces of land, and come up with info about each in reference to a number, you can then hit "view detailed CAMA records" and find out more details for one individual parcel. that way it shows you all hte surrounding parcels, so you can look and see if you have the right one.

it takes me a hour or more, often, to find a landowner, but you can do it. Then you can call them, or at least know who to ask about permission. And know how to address them when you go up to them.

Hopefully this will be of help, and not just a confusing mess. I found it a few years back, and it's very helpful, and very scary how much info is in there. look yourself up! it tells house values, land values, and sizes for every bulding you have and how well it's finished

for what it's worth

dan
OMG
That is not only awesome, but scary at the same time. I will have to check it out and soon. There are several places that I would love to check out, but needed to find the owner. Now I can. Thanks Dan.
As far as flying this weekend, Uh no not me, tis snowing right now and supposed to cold here also in Helena.
Dan I talked to Curtis and Exec-Air is fixed wing only, sorry bud . Try Fish Wildlife and Parks, they use heli's for a lot of animal surveying and transportation.

Happy Building 'til it gets warm again
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:05 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
hey chip, I updated my LJ60 build thread, thought you might get a kick out of it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...75#post8968339

that cadastral website takes some getting used to, but is VERY handy in the long run. saves alot of legwork and helps makes things accessible.

dan
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:08 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Soar Utah

Sheesh,
With two of the big events in California, and Washington being cancelled, Soar Utah could end up being over the top. I feel really bad for these guys. Losing a site that they've been using and enjoying for so long has really really gotta suck. I am impressed how proactive they are trying to be to attempt to keep their flying areas open. I wish a few more sportsmen would have thought ahead and banded together to keep more of our Montana lands open to all kinds of recreation. Myself included. Makes you think.
On a lighter note, I really hope the cancellation of the other events will boost the attendence at Soar Utah 2008. I can't wait to meet some of the folks I have heard of or talked to here on RCG.
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Last edited by indy cv-62; Jan 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Blabbed before getting my info straight
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:00 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62
Sheesh, With all the big events in California being cancelled,
Ahem, WeaselFest has not been cancelled. And the Tri-Slope has never been held in California (yet). WeaselFest's 50-60 pilots plus assorted hangers-on definitely qualifies it as one of the bigger SoCal events IMHO...

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:51 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
surfimp

I stand corrected. That was an under informed statement.
WeasleFest is not cancelled. Instead it is alive and well and the thread is thriving, and happily so.
The Tri-Slope Six-Pack was held in Wa. until this year amid concerns of losing access to fly at Eagle Butte.

Sorry I opened my mouth with insufficient information.
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:48 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62
Sorry I opened my mouth with insufficient information.
ahh, phooey, thanks for trying to keep us in the loop. I was unaware that there was any trouble with people losing flying sites at all, so bad information is better than none

dan
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,653 Posts
WOW!

I went up to Hogback yesterday, just a few snow showers running around. The drive was pretty easy but I recommend a 4-wheel drive this time of year. Come summer it'll be no problem with a car. The wind was blowing about 15mph and the lift in that bowl was phenomenal! Well instead of explaining the flying check out a video of my flight with my Simprop Sagitta.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CloudyIF...34460799179698

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
hmm,
not sure if that is the right link. It took me to a video that said memaloose, oregon? and the guy flying had shorts on, and there was no snow??
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjloo
hmm,
not sure if that is the right link. It took me to a video that said memaloose, oregon? and the guy flying had shorts on, and there was no snow??
Hey DAN
That is Curtis' video of him flying at the Alpine Soaring Adventure in Memaloose. Not sure if he useing it as an example of the Sagitta or if the other video din't upload, guess we will have wait and see.

Curtis
I thought you said you wouldn't go flying slope unless it was 60 degrees out ??? Seemed kind of cold yesterday. Should of called I would have gone with you.

Happy Flying guys
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
Great Falls, MT.
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
Ride to Hogback

Hey CloudyIFR:

Did you drive all the way to the top of Hogback. I need to go up there and do some electronic work and was wondering what the snow is like. I would prefer to drive a 4x4 instead of a snowmobile. Depending on the temp., I will have to go up this week.

Did you look off the west end of the mt. That would be west of the radio towers.

TNX in advance,
Marlowe
marlowe is offline Find More Posts by marlowe