HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2008, 10:40 PM
Great Falls, MT.
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
Discussion
Montana Slopers

Looks like the Montana slopers have come out of the wood work. I sense a little cabin fever here guys. One thing we have lots of is wind, especially Great Falls.

So maybe we should all keep in touch and plane for a slope fest somewhere.

Thanks for all the responses.

Is there any slopers on here from or near Great Falls, Mt ? I was told there is.

Thanks in advance.

Marlowe
Great Falls, MT.
marlowe is offline Find More Posts by marlowe
Last edited by marlowe; Jan 08, 2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Header Change
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:54 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,417 Posts
chris country is in missoula.
i'm a good 400+ miles away!

marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:04 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Great Falls slope flyer

jnjloo is from Great Falls and is an avid sloper. I'm from Billings and there a handful of slope flyers here as well, myself being one of them.
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:47 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,445 Posts
Hello marlowe
Dan (jnjloo) and his friend Gary are in Great Falls(great guys). Both are active slopers. iwantajet is in Missoula. CloudyIfr, myself(Chip/sixty9mustang) and a couple of others are in the Helena area.

What are you flying? There is quite a variety(styles) of planes that the above guys fly.

PM jnjloo, especially if you looking for a slope.

Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:02 PM
slopaholic
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
woo hoo, thanks guys, marlowe got hold of me, maybe there'll be some local action! We still need to hook up again sixty, thanks for the heads up to him guys!!

might have to make a road trip to Billings, my aunt lives there

dan

Edit:
Hey chip, did you hear I was one of the winners of the LEG Christmas glider give away??

I got a free Le Fish kit in the mail today!! How cool!!
jnjloo is offline Find More Posts by jnjloo
Last edited by jnjloo; Jan 07, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:45 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,914 Posts
You guys will have to let me know when you will all get together and fly. I'm in Cody, WY which is 1.5 hrs from Billings. I'd love to make the trip.

I've google earthed some stuff in Billings and it looks really good. There is some huge looking bluff that overlooks the river right outside of town. Is it flyable?
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:29 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjloo
woo hoo, thanks guys, marlowe got hold of me, maybe there'll be some local action! We still need to hook up again sixty, thanks for the heads up to him guys!!

might have to make a road trip to Billings, my aunt lives there

dan

Edit:
Hey chip, did you hear I was one of the winners of the LEG Christmas glider give away??

I got a free Le Fish kit in the mail today!! How cool!!
Hey Dan
Congrats on the LeFish, paint it up like a Rainbow Trout or a Walleye or sumthin .
Hadn't heard from you in awhile actually and have been thinkin about buggin you. Thought maybe you were in Africa doin the job thing. How is that? A freind/co-worker took me out to some property owned by a good friend of his in Choteau (well actually West of), anyway OMG , there is some farm land and more farm land and more farm land and and and then there is this ridge facing West by North that we should be able to fly full scale there and nothing around but cattle and farm land. Forgot the camera, left the plane, but hey I fell on some ice and messed up my right knee for a week . So I brought back something. I still can't get the picture out of my head, for now it is my new happy place. My buddy already knows that as soon as March or so we are going back up there. I will let you know when we do.
As far as Billings, if everyone wants to go let me know, I will try and rally a couple from Helena.

Happy Flying guys
Chip

PS Dan keep it up you will have club up there soon, holding contest and stuff, I guess I am going to have to make a trip up there too soon. Actually we are thinking about coming up in Feb. maybe the weather will cooperate.
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Jan 08, 2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: addition
Old Jan 08, 2008, 03:11 AM
Laughs at his own jokes.
Missoula, Montana, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks
I've google earthed some stuff in Billings and it looks really good. There is some huge looking bluff that overlooks the river right outside of town. Is it flyable?
It's flyable. And it faces the prevailing wind.
IwantaJet is offline Find More Posts by IwantaJet
Old Jan 08, 2008, 04:32 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,445 Posts
Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantaJet
It's flyable. And it faces the prevailing wind.
Hey iwantajet
you wouldn't happen to know of any really good slopes here in the Helena area? I have tried a few, this last year the wind blew mostly out of the North, I found one sort of alright for that. I have tried one hill that faces West off of Echo drive near Fort Harrison but with little success (for lift), it should produce very nice lift but doesn't seem to, will try it again in the spring. Got permission to fly off of the ridge by the Winston Bar and I went up there (have to hike it), lots of rocks up there, put a pretty big dent in the nose of my 2 meter RE plane . Just wondering if you have any experience on any hills aout this way?

Thanks and Happy Flying
Chip
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Jan 08, 2008 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 08, 2008, 08:26 AM
Great Falls, MT.
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
Hogback

Hey Chip,

If you ever have a chance to get to Hogback Mt. I do think that some awesome sloping can be done up there. A drive for sure from Helena but maybe all of us could meet up there on a summer day. I have stopped on the ridge many times to feel the wind and measure with my wind meter. It would be a 45 minute drive from Helena. Unless you have a snowmobile, summer is the best. I know they paraglide off it.

Met Dan on the phone last night. Have a feeling some great sloping is about to commence. TNX for the heads up on that.

Marlowe
marlowe is offline Find More Posts by marlowe
Old Jan 08, 2008, 08:42 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
wyomingwindworks

Yeah, the cliff face at Four Dances Park overlooking Billings is flyable but the walk of shame really sucks. Takes at least hour, up to three hours to retrieve a plane that lands below the cliff. You should see the strange looks you get from hikers when they see you walk by with a fishing pole and a lure towards a sheer cliff. That is the chosen method thus far to collect planes that are lodged on the ledges below and are not accessable any other way. There are preferred sites to this one but, they don't face the prevailing winds. One of the other sites is frequented by hang gliders. It is located northeast of billings off of Moser Dome Rd. It is our favorite place to slope so far, but, we are always searching for others. A couple of my friends have gone down to Cody to fly with the owner of Big Horn Hobbies. I really need to try and make some trips out to pester some of you guys and go fly.
Are any of you going to Soar Utah? There will a pretty large contingancy going there from Billings. I hope to go with them this year!
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:21 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
soar Utah?,
what a cool idea, I'd love to go. maybe next year I can swing it. I'm in the middle of jobs at the moment, and it's a bit hectic. Still waiting on the Africa thing Chip.

I just can't seem to get any local guys hooked around here. For the life of me I can't figure out why. It's such a cool sport! It's always, not enough time, not enough money, ect. ect. But once you build the plane you can fly it over and over for free!!! Part of the problem is most of the spots I go we always have to call and ask first, so I don't want to put an ad in the paper and invite a bunch of people I don't even know that might end up messing up our ability to use the slope site. Have had a bit of a hard time coming up with usable sites.

Sure wish I could find a good spot on public land...... I'll have to go check out pishkin.

Sure glad to hear there's some people interested in the area (400 miles is still in the "area" as far as montana is concerned . I was getting a bit dispondent about it.
I'd love to come to billings and fly with you guys sometime. My aunt lives there and i've been looking for an excuse to go visit!!

dan
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:33 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,914 Posts
It would be great to join you guys for the Soar Utah trip. I could go!

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:36 AM
slopaholic
Joined Feb 2007
603 Posts
hey Marlowe,
maybe you could change the topic of the thread to Montana slopers, now that your original purpose is fullfilled, and we montana (and surrounding guys) could keep track of each other here?

when is Soar Utah by the way (drool drool)
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:58 AM
Laughs at his own jokes.
Missoula, Montana, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,168 Posts
Soar Utah will be Labor Day weekend 2008. I went in 2006 and had a good time but the wind didn't really show up.

Chip, I haven't found anything in Helena but chris country has flown there.

I haven't flown the Hogsback south of Livingston but there is a thread or two on it here somewhere.

The cliff at Four Dances in Billings has monster lift but recovery is, IMHO, near impossible. Don't throw anything you can't be sure to land or land out across the river somewhere. I didn't know about alternative sites when I was there last.

I think the Front near Great Falls has about the best consistent wind potential in the state. It would be cool to get a small group together and go slope prospecting sometime. I have a few potential sites marked in Google Earth. I'll try to post them when I get home tonight.
IwantaJet is offline Find More Posts by IwantaJet