HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2002, 07:02 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
1ST Flight Guillows Sopwith Camel

28" wing Guillows Sopwith Camel

This is what I did.

Delete every second rib. Replace spars, etc. with soft balsa.
Delete every second spar in fuselage. Hog out Fus. formers.
Build tail and rudder as plan states. Increase positive stab incidence from plan. (equal to top of fuselage).
Mirror top wing dihedral or less from bottom.
Build spars and cabanes from hard balsa. I covered with silk span.
Scratched gear from light gauge music wire and soldered in suspension (WWI Style). Makes a difference when landing.

GWS gear. 3 Channel. Geared 280 (from tiger moth). 6 cell 500 mah Nihms. Pack mounted on rear of firewall.

Pull-Pull system. (very important for light tail)

I was shocked and stunned when I took her out to the park.
Nervous as usual with new plane.
ROG with full throttle. Small rudder correction. Straight roll out. Slight up elevator............wow! it`s flying! What a fluke. No trim and she climbed at about 5 degree. Rudder is a little tame. Watch out for elevator, think up and she goes up.
I can`t believe the how well balanced the power system is. She loops, snap rolls and banks beautifully. What a rush for a small little bipe. A way nicer model than the GWS Tiger Moth. Could fly circles around her.
Work climb to altitude and test out stall. Whoa!.......be carefull with this little bipe,.......she will go "dutch" on you.
Finals are tricky. Throttle decent only. Get to slow and you`ll end up on your back. Fly her into the deck and flare gently.

Almost forgot,GWS 2" wheels, GWS 9070 prop with 1/4 inch cut off from each tip and rounded and feathered. (for ground clearance).

Talk about fun! I love this little plane. Impressive scale feel for such a small model. Time to put the roundels on.

Cheers

"Balsa flies better"

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2002, 08:21 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
What!!!???

NO pictures!?? SHAME on You!!,.. just kidding!.. sure WOULD like to see some though!... CONGRATULATIONS! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Dec 21, 2002, 09:05 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Hey, Warren, glad to hear that you got your bird flying at last! That's the same one you showed me the framework for, isn't it? I'm delighted that you had a successful maiden flight. I look forward to seeing in the air in the new year. Maybe Chilliwack? With your penchant for detail work, I'll bet it's a stunner! Photos, please.

Brad
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:18 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Sopwith Camel

To Demon Leather,

Thank You. I know,.....I`m not up to snuff with posting pics. One of these days I`ll pick up a digital camera for some of these events.

Can`t wait to go out tomorrow.

Cheers

To Brad Trent,

Hey Brad, how is it going? No this one isn`t the nieuport (ailerons).

I`ve shifted that one to a more gradual progression. I have a 40" Scout almost finished (3 channel speed 400/500).

I hope to have some "goodies" for the show though.

I wouldn`t consider the sopwith a "gem" in terms of a perfect finish but it sure was a good learning build and looks kinda cute in the air. I`m really surprised how stable she flies yet still has the tendency to go squirelly. Landing is a handfull and a whole new learning curve. Very unforgiving in a tip stall. I do really enjoy flying these old warbirds. They aren`t as easy as they look. I have quickly found out that one must fly them as apposed to "stearing" them through the air.

I`m totally hooked on the vintage/WWI Bipes.

Cheers.

Warren Jones
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:16 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Sorry, Warren, I'd forgotten that it was a Nieuport that you had at our field last summer. I really like the Sopwith Camel and Pup(and the Triplane, too!), I think they're the nicest looking British planes of WWI.

It sounds like your flying skills are progressing rapidly. Flying small biplanes will do that for you! I'm glad that you got the TM to practice with, it's a logical lead-in to the types that you like to model. I look forward to seeing you and your planes at Chilliwack, or even sooner at Burnaby Lake if you get the chance.

Brad.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:57 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Bipe revisited

Hi Brad,

How is the Dr. VII ?

The Nieuport,.....at the time was a little premature in terms of flying it at the time. Even still (with Ailerons) I`m going to be patient. I plan on taking a little different approach with the "build".

With the Sopwith I have learned that silk span is tricky for small surfaces. A real challenge to keep it consistent. I like it`s authentic "fabric" look and it is light.

Yes, the sopwith and pup are sweet looking alright. Now I want to go bigger scale. I would like to do a larger version of it.

I`ve been fortunate with the type of work I`m in and the rather gracious "large empty parks" out here. I`ve had the opportunity to rack up large flight times through out the summer and fall.

By the way I did locate a rather comprehensive set of DR. 7 plans from someones basement. I think they are Sperling plans. 4 -5 sheets at 1/5 scale I believe.
They are superb in detail with accompaning photos.

Cheers

Warren Jones
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:17 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Warren:
I presently have about 50 flights on the D VII, but don't fly it at the park very often, it's a little large for that . The plans you have sound interesting, that's just slightly smaller than mine, which is 22.5%, rather than 1/5 (20%).

When you say "larger scale", that's a relative term. Do you mean 1/5th and larger, or simply larger than your present models? For park flying, anything up to S400 size, about 32 - 40 in. span for our favourites, WW I bipes, is about right. As soon as you get into the S600 and larger planes, you really need a BIG park, like Burnaby Lake, or a club field. I'm seriously considering trying a 400 size bipe soon, though I still like large scale for realism in flight. Peter Rake has produced so many interesting plans for this size ship, I don't know where to start! Some of his plans are now kitted by Kurt Bengston, AKA Aerodrome models, so we don't even have to cut ribs if we get lazy .

Brad.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:24 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
400 Size Bipe

Yes the 400 size Bipe with 40" wing seems perfect for park scale.
You might want to consider Peter Rakes latest, Nieuport with ailerons. Good looking plane all around.

I`m already decided on my next build (after Peter Rakes Scout about), which`should be finished by next week. (40" wing. speed 400). It`s very light so far.

My next build is going to be " Blackburn Monoplane" 60" wing, speed 600. The plan and article is in RCME November/December issues.
I`m hoping to build another half a dozen in the new year, including the "Hawker Fury" and Sopwith Pup.

Regarding the Guillows Sopwith; I had a little blunder today. I decided to hand launch, which I rarely do and guess what happened? As I let her go the tail kissed the back of my hand and down she went,..........crack! I sort of laughed to myself for being so careless. I needed to change the top wing incidence anyway so it`s been removed for me. Broke motor mount, cowl, and outer struts. A little CA and a tweak here and she should be fine.
A real good little flier even as it was.

Cheers

Warren
Old Dec 27, 2002, 08:54 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Funny that you should mention Peter's Nieuport; the first plan that I ever saved from a mag was for the "Bebe" in S400 size that he published 6 or 7 years ago. I've saved almost all of his published plans since then, and hope to build some of them in the future, though not six or more in one year, like you.

The Blackburn should be a nice model, I've seen those plans too. My favorite power setup for S600 models is the Kyosho Atomic Force, geared low, between 4:1 and 6:1 depending on prop size needed for scale looks, and 8 to 10 cells. This gives more than scale power at low amp draw (<30A) for a very reasonable cost.

Sorry to hear about your 'launch incedent', it happens to us all sooner or later. At least yours is repairable.

Brad.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:03 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Kyosho S600 for Blackburn Mono

Hi Brad,

Yes,...funny you should mention these motors. I`m going to use one of these ( Kyosho 600) for the Blackburn. They are actually lighter than most others I have seen. They also look to be a very "skookum" little motor. I was told that Ivan (chilliwack) uses these motors as well.

Thanks for the advice on gear ratios. Always nice to know before the fateful ROG.

By the way Brad. I have almost completed my Bristol Scout. (40" wing. It`s a Peter Rake design from October 2002 Model World issue. I`m planning for a New Years launch. Maybe just before then. All I have to do is mount the motor and pull-pull gear, mount the wheels and away she goes.

Cheers

Warren
Old Dec 28, 2002, 05:58 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,605 Posts
Hi Guys,
I thought my ears were burning.
The Blackburn is a nice looking plane, I've built a couple myself - not electric though. Actually got to touch the original too - oh joy of joys!!!
Warren,
If you're looking for something a little larger, there should be a 1/6 scale Pup plan next year sometime. Similar power train to the N11. Have to cut your own ribs for that one though.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 28, 2002, 09:45 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,410 Posts
Brad, how would the Atomic Force work with Peter Rakes 48" N11. I have just completed it.... wieghs 32oz dry, e.g. less rc'r, bat and 2 servos. The 32 ozs includes 2 wing servos. Should come in at 64 oz. Looking for an alternative to a Graupner 600 race with an Olmypus belt drive. I only can get from England. Your comments will be appreciated.
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:29 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Sopwith Pup

Peter,

Unreal! I know after finishing off this Scout of yours I`ll be wanting to build the 1/6th Pup. I like the large Bipes, especially the sopwith "looks". Please E-mail regarding the release of the plans of the "Pup". I`ll be sending you some photos of the finished Scout. I kept the build "cheap and cheerful". I was surprised how quickly she goes together. The ribs are about the quickest procedure when you have a disc sander.

I had a friend over today to look at the scout and he flipped. He said " Where did you get the plan ?" Anyway it`s a handsome looking aeroplane. Can`t wait to fly her.

I`ll be into the Blackburne soon and plan on finishing the 40" Nieuport (ailerons) this spring.

Question: Will the 1/6 Pup have Ailerons?

Cheers

Warren Jones
Old Dec 29, 2002, 04:32 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,605 Posts
Warren,
Yes, ailerons on all four wings for the Pup. She uses a similar wing fixing system to the N11, but without the aluminium (dural) c/s struts. On the Pup they are wire and the top wing is retained by saddle clamps.

Ralph,
You could try the new Jamara HS600 motor with a Master 3.5:1 box. It's supposed to be quite high reving, and that is what I expect to use in the Camel prototype.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 29, 2002, 06:08 AM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,410 Posts
Thanks Peter, there are several stateside HS that carry Jamara motors.
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio