SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by soholingo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
I'll be there. No chance on the Enigma. I'm too slow.
Thanks though.
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:39 AM
>8-)
Derby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
693 Posts
Anyone have any pics/reports from the practice?
MrMagic is offline Find More Posts by MrMagic
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:42 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Maneuver View Post
...in Contest Announcements Forum. Contest dates are Sept. 24 and 25, 2011 with equipment inspection Sept. 23rd. Announcement content should be not news to the usual suspects but belongs in writing.

V/R

Steve Manganelli, CD US F5B Team Selection Contest Director

Cool, I will be there
hotlinercort is offline Find More Posts by hotlinercort
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:33 PM
Cambridge
Joined Sep 2005
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Maneuver View Post
...in Contest Announcements Forum. Contest dates are Sept. 24 and 25, 2011 with equipment inspection Sept. 23rd. Announcement content should be not news to the usual suspects but belongs in writing.

V/R

Steve Manganelli, CD US F5B Team Selection Contest Director
You got a list of pilots who will be attending? Need a real time twitter feed from you guys over the 3 days
Alan Flockhart is online now Find More Posts by Alan Flockhart
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:26 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan flockhart View Post
you got a list of pilots who will be attending? Need a real time twitter feed from you guys over the 3 days
+1 !!
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:31 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Heres the line up that I know of so far for practice tomorrow.

Steve / Kris / Lenny / Marco / Yuri (?) / Rich (?) / Jeff (?) / Don / Eric

Cheers,

Eric
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:11 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,169 Posts
Is Troy coming?
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Update.

8 pilots on the course yesterday, nice turn out and fun crowd.

Highlights included,
- Kris flying a clean 45 legs and showing strong consistent results,
- Marco and Don each hitting personal bests
- Steve finishing the day with the 10s ship going 48 for the days distance best score.
- visit from Rich and Yuri!

Two weeks until the F5B US National / Team Selection Trial.

As of now, we are looking at the following racers in the F5B line up for the next race weekend (Sep 23-25).
1-Jeff
2-Lenny
3-Kris
4-Marco
5-Steve
6- and me

Did I miss anyone?

Cheers,

Eric
Last edited by epwierman; Sep 12, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:27 PM
>8-)
Derby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
693 Posts
Do you guys set a ~1400w.min limit as you're only doing the distance task?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman View Post
Update.

8 pilots on the course yesterday, nice turn out and fun crowd.

Highlights included,
- Kris flying a clean 45 legs and showing strong consistent results,
- Marco and Don each hitting personal bests
- Steve finishing the day with the 10s ship going 48 for the days distance best score.

Two weeks until the F5B US National / Team Selection Trial.

As of now, we are looking at the following racers in the F5B line up for the next race weekend (Sep 23-25).
1-Jeff
2-Lenny
3-Kris
4-Marco
5-Steve
6- and me

Did I miss anyone?

Cheers,

Eric
MrMagic is offline Find More Posts by MrMagic
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
I'll be there. I wanna see if Marco or I can reach 40. He and I will have our own personal competition.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Do you guys set a ~1400w.min limit as you're only doing the distance task?
That was left up to the pilot. This was the last testing practice session prior to the race.

The air was good in the late afternoon, hawks thermal ing etc, and I imagine most of us pushed past 1400 to get a 46 plus score for these prime conditions.

My early session post flights showed 1300 to 1400, and 1525 for a 47 with those good late afternoon conditions and longer motor runs (risky but doable).

All pretty standard stuff by today's setups standards, with the 10s seeming to show very well as the future.

Good news is that both the Neu limiter and Unilogger worked well on 10 s.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:34 PM
Plain Addiction
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post
I'll be there. I wanna see if Marco or I can reach 40. He and I will have our own personal competition.
Yes we will , should be good see ya then.
mgm2 is offline Find More Posts by mgm2
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
F5B Hotliner Championship

Greetings Race Fans,

The Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego will be adding a new race category to the F5B program this year, an F5B Hotliner Championship class.

The standard FAI rules are simplified for the first inaugural F5B Hotliner Championship 
- Battery of your choice
- No limiter or logger needed
- No weight restrictions
- F5b style model / hotliner / "run what cha brung and have fun"
- same  scoring rules for Distance, Duration and Landing Tasks
- current AMA  membership

Date: September 24 and 25
Time: 10 am Saturday, all day flying and 9 am Sunday, all day
Place: SEFD http://sefsd.org/index.php?option=co...d=55&Itemid=68
Cost: 50 dollars, includes lunch, pay during sign up on Saturday.

You will need to bring an extra receiver for the scoring equipment (there's the normal one in your plane like usual, and another one that gets plugged into the course computer when it's your turn to fly).

Who's gonna be the 2011 F5B Hotliner Champion? Will it be you taking home a medal? :-)

This will be a fun opportunity to get involved, learn, practice and compete against new friends.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Eric 

(pilots flying in the Team Selection Trial are not eligible for the F5B Hotliner class.)
Last edited by epwierman; Sep 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Rule Change: dropped the max 4s batt requirement
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Hey, I think this sounds like a lot of fun.

I got a chance to fly on the F5B for the 1st time last weekend while maidening my Enigma, and it was a blast. The pros were doing 45-48 laps. I think I did about 13 laps on my 1st try, but did better on the 2nd flight.

The Enigma may never be competitive with the pros, but would be fun in this new class. And the more guys who give it a shot, the more fun they're going to have. Heck, I'd even give it a shot with my blizzard.

My only concern here is the limit on 4S. This is a hindrance for those like me that have a setup optimized for 6S operation. The Neu 1512/1.5D in mine has a KV designed for the higher voltage.

If I had a 1512/1D, the KV of that motor would draw more current, and generate quite a bit more power with 4S than I can generate.

I know we don't want to get this new class into a situation where we have to count watt/minutes or whatever it is you pros do, but in the interest of keeping it fun, is it possible to either a) not put a limit on voltage, or b) up it to 5S? If it's "run what ya brung", I might have to buy a 4S battery to play.

Another concern is without size or weight limits, the door could be open to F5D ships or the in-betweeners...I don't know what to call them, but they are HOT RODS of the 1st order, but are bigger than F5D but too small for F5B.

I'm assuming without the need for loggers or limiters then the duration part is far less of a challenge as there would be no limit on power runs. Staying up for 10 minutes would be no issue for anyone. Perhaps this task doesn't need to be as long. Perhaps just 3 minutes? Or 5 minutes? With every second counting like in F5B, with the standard spot landing requirements?

Or maybe just 1 minute. Then every point for every second above or below 60 makes a larger difference. The 60 second clock would start immediately after the 200 second race clock ends. This would speed up the action for the beginners, and make the last minute a good challenge.

Hey, just throwing some ideas out there. Whatever y'all decide, I'M IN.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:52 AM
Cambridge
Joined Sep 2005
706 Posts
Glad this is being supported by people. we have tried in the uk to get people along with any model but no luck yet. good luck to all entering. Btw for anyone who hasnt flown on a course before dont try to get as much power as possible. i would suggest using under 4kw and concentrate on flying. once you have the general lines in place then you can start to push the power up a bit. there is no point reacting to a fast moving plane. you need to be ahead of it.

My only suggestion is no limit on cells. 4s can be very powerful so why exclude anything above.
Alan Flockhart is online now Find More Posts by Alan Flockhart