HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by soholingo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,121 Posts
So how many legs where Lenny and Steve doing?

Can we have the detailed scores of each round?
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
2012 USA F-5B Team Selection Contest Results

I want to start by thanking my helpers, my dear fiancee Michelle Baker for doing all the food preparation, procurement and serving while she wasn't doing BASE B judging; to Wayne Walker, my Chief Timer, equipment taker-downer and BASE B judge; to the contestants for gentlemanly sportsmanship, equipment set-up and finally to Don Rice for that insightful and humorous report above. I could add more "insights" to Don's but probably shouldn't . Now that the US Team has been selected, it's us against the world : Romania or Bust! Thanks to Eric Wierman for his good humor and gregariousness which we sorely need to bring new blood into the sport.

Yeah, the US can affort plenty of computers, just none that I wanted to get full of dirt from our field (plus nobody available to enter scores in a protected vehicle anyway). I did pretty well on my notebook, hand calculator and dry erase board but the minutia is attached below. Also want to recognize the 2011 SEFSD Hotliner Championship participants (future F-5B Team Selection participants) Marco Malfitano, Don Rice and Bob Downer whom all did a great job flying and learning among the US giants of the sport.

Finally, congratulations to 2012's USA National FAI-F5B Team Lenny Keer, Steve Neu, Jeff Keesaman and Alternate Member Kris Duggan.

V/R

Steve P. Manganelli, 2012 USA National FAI-F5B Team Selection Contest Director
Prof. Maneuver is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Maneuver
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:41 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,121 Posts
So Lenny got 45,46,44,47,44,47,46,47 legs?

That's pritty good.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
USA, CA, Vista
Joined Jun 2003
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Maneuver View Post
I want to start by thanking my helpers, my dear fiancee Michelle Baker for doing all the food preparation, procurement and serving while she wasn't doing BASE B judging; to Wayne Walker, my Chief Timer, equipment taker-downer and BASE B judge; to the contestants for gentlemanly sportsmanship, equipment set-up and finally to Don Rice for that insightful and humorous report above. I could add more "insights" to Don's but probably shouldn't . Now that the US Team has been selected, it's us against the world : Romania or Bust! Thanks to Eric Wierman for his good humor and gregariousness which we sorely need to bring new blood into the sport.

Yeah, the US can affort plenty of computers, just none that I wanted to get full of dirt from our field (plus nobody available to enter scores in a protected vehicle anyway). I did pretty well on my notebook, hand calculator and dry erase board but the minutia is attached below. Also want to recognize the 2011 SEFSD Hotliner Championship participants (future F-5B Team Selection participants) Marco Malfitano, Don Rice and Bob Downer whom all did a great job flying and learning among the US giants of the sport.

Finally, congratulations to 2012's USA National FAI-F5B Team Lenny Keer, Steve Neu, Jeff Keesaman and Alternate Member Kris Duggan.

V/R

Steve P. Manganelli, 2012 USA National FAI-F5B Team Selection Contest Director
I want to take a minute to congratulate Lenny,Steve ,and Jeff!
Lots of hard work goes into this !
Good luck guys
Dyno Don
Dyno Don is offline Find More Posts by Dyno Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:20 AM View Post
enjoyhobby
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:41 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,281 Posts
^^^reported
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

I have to say that this contest was a real pleasure to fly in. Great sportsmanship was evident throughout, as all of the competitors pitched in to help each other to perform their best.
Many thanks to Steve Manganelli, Michelle, and Wayne for their tireless efforts to keep the event running smoothly.

We have a small but very competitive group here, and it was very interesting to watch the horse race going on for third place.
Eric, Kris, and Jeff all held that position at one time during the contest, but Jeff prevailed in the end.

It was also very good to see some new faces in the F5B game. Marco, Don, and Bob flew very well for their first time and seemed to enjoy the experience a lot.
Kudos to Eric for really encouraging the newer fliers and promoting the sport!

Steve, Jeff, and I will be looking forward to proudly representing the USA at the World's next year!

Thanks,
Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:45 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,692 Posts
Is there anyone in NorCal flying/practising F5B? I'm very tempted to give it a shot, but would love to have someone to practise with.

Cheers
Red
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:41 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Is there anyone in NorCal flying/practising F5B? I'm very tempted to give it a shot, but would love to have someone to practise with.

Cheers
Red
Kris is in Palo Alto. Shoot a PM to Verticalflight.

I hope you realize though, that this is thoroughly addicting. Once you "give it a shot" you'll probably be hooked for good.
You have been warned!

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:48 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
Kris is in Palo Alto. Shoot a PM to Verticalflight.

I hope you realize though, that this is thoroughly addicting. Once you "give it a shot" you'll probably be hooked for good.
You have been warned!

Lenny
Thanks Lenny. I've been flying high performance planes of one type or another (F3B, MoM, F3F, F5D, F3D, F-1, Q-40, Q-500 etc.) for many years.....I'm fully aware of the addiction
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,085 Posts
All right, you got me.. What's an MoM?
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:39 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman View Post
All right, you got me.. What's an MoM?
Man on Man slope racing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:18 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
I finally got the software I needed to download video from my camera.
So here's some video from the Team Selections in San Diego last weekend.

We'll start with Eric in Round 1

Then move to Lenny's Round 1 Fight

I have several more, but it takes a while to upload them to Youtube. This will have to hold you until I get the rest of them uploaded.

Enjoy.
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Here's a few more, but that's it. I'm tired!

Bob's 1st Round Flight
Marco's 1st Round Flight
I didn't get any landings other than this one. Marco's 1st Round Landing
Steve Neu's 1st Roudn Flight
Jeff Keesaman's 1st Round Flight
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Here's the last of my videos from the weekend's festivities:

Kris's 1st Round Flight
Eric's 6th round flight
Lenny's 6th round flight. You can see that Lenny is a body English kind of flyer. Maybe we all should be considering how well he does it.
Steve's 6th round flight
A view of the field of battle
Eric's miraculous save. Despite what I was saying during filming, he did not lose a prop. He lost elevator control and ended up flying around and landing using nothing but flaps for pitch control. Excellent flying Eric!!!
Kris's 6th round flight
Marco's final round flight. None of the hotliner competitors made 40 laps, but they tried.
Eric's Final Round Flight. He was trying something different, and I don't think it worked the way he had hoped.

That's it. Enjoy!!!