HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2008, 11:15 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Question
Is anyone interested in a Lap Dancer build log/question thread?

Following on Bob's question about a build log for his upcoming Mini AVA...

Would anyone be interested in following a build log for the Lap Dancer that I just received? The reason that I titled this thread "Is anyone interested in a Lap Dancer build log/question thread" is that I've probably got plenty of questions for everyone about how this is to go together, and compiling the answers to my novice questions into one location may be valuable to others who also want to assemble this plane, and of course help me along as well!?

I've built quite a few stick built kits, along with two slope planes that were foam wings with balsa sheeting in the past, but this DLG/ electric hybrid is something different. I'm sure that I will have many questions, which I'd love some help on figuring out.

What do you think? I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Last edited by robh; Jan 06, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:10 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,896 Posts
Rob,

Mine should be showing up in the next few days, so I'll be sorting out the assembly too. I won't bother doing a build thread myself, but I'll be glad to pass along any suggestions.

I already have a good competitive small F5J model, so my goal for the LD will be minimum weight with a modest power setup.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:34 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
It never hurts to see what the other guy is up to so why not go ahead and start it.Ill read it. scottie
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:41 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Rob,

Count me in, I'll read it. P.S. Go buy several tubes of JBW.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:55 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Lenny - thanks for weighing in. Sounds like you have a great deal more experience with this type of plane than I do (which is none), so perhaps a logical approach to this might be for me not to do a build log, but merely have a single thread for Q+A? I'm going to have questions...

Scottie and Bob - I've just been reading through a few great threads over in the HLG forum ("Taboo GT build" for one), and it seems that most of the stuff I have questions about is all there. If Lenny is game, perhaps a thread dedicated to the assembly of the Lap Dancer is all that is needed - tips/ techniques, and a single location for general info.

Bob - you crack me up with the JB Weld!

Thanks guys,

Rob
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:02 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Rob,

It's bullet proof !!

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2004
322 Posts
I just received my Lap Dancer and it looks like a great kit. I am an experienced builder but I still had a few questions, generally I just scratch build so I think through my own issues. The component quality is all you could ask for and this should build in to a very light airframe.

Attached is a photo of the kit contents and a few shots of the parts on my scale.
soarcat is offline Find More Posts by soarcat
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:13 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783015

isn't this already the lapdancer thread? but why not, the more the merrier!
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:23 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_newton
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783015

isn't this already the lapdancer thread? but why not, the more the merrier!
Hi Will,

I think that was the thread that introduced the plane to the public in general. Not a build thread per sa.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2008, 08:49 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarcat
I just received my Lap Dancer and it looks like a great kit. I am an experienced builder but I still had a few questions, generally I just scratch build so I think through my own issues. The component quality is all you could ask for and this should build in to a very light airframe.

Attached is a photo of the kit contents and a few shots of the parts on my scale.
Hi Soarcat and all,

I also thought that the first thread was more of an announcement of the new model from Denny, however if everyone would just like to keep all related posts there, I'm fine with that. Just thought I'd get a thread going strictly related to building...

Anyway, Soarcat- if you don't mind letting us know what you are doing as you go, and answering a few questions from myself (and others?) along the way, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't have too many, but it would be good to hear how someone with more experience puts a plane like this one together.

So, either here, or in the original thread, I look forward to seeing how this goes together, and flies!

Cheers,

Rob
Old Jan 06, 2008, 09:38 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Rob,

There is a guy north of me up on one of the islands, that just built an E-Blaster. Same idea. His thread may also be able to show you some inovative ideas. His call name is Ploof. You might want to take a look at that build thread.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2008, 10:08 AM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information. I did notice Ploof's build a while back, and corresponded with him a few times about it. He did a great job, and I almost went the e-blaster route. I'm sure that it is a great plane, and it looked like it would be a blast to fly (no pun intended) but had questions about the planes ability to thermal well, which I believe the Lap Dancer will do well, if I build it properly!?

I've been looking at other threads to get ideas on how others have approached this type of plane, and I will re-review Ploof's as he had some great ideas/ techniques.

Thanks again Bob,

Rob
Old Jan 07, 2008, 12:32 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,348 Posts
I am, I am:-))

Well the servos finally showed up and typical of direct ordering from the other side of the world weren't exactly what I was looking for. The two digitals for the wings actually measured over 11mm. As you can see from the attached pic I got them to fit flush but it wasn't pretty:-) Heat shrink that holds them together removed and replaced with scotch tape and some creative case sanding. D47's or D60's or any 10mm or less servos will fit fine and not require all this but, hey, they were there:-) Standard snug fitting and a good tape servo cover to hold it all from moving complete the project
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize