HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:38 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malves
The Fliton AJ Extra also has airfoiled tail feathers, and its in the same class size and weight - only 3" bigger.
I looked into one of these and I thought the weight was 10-12 oz heavier than 3DHS planes.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:45 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors
I looked into one of these and I thought the weight was 10-12 oz heavier than 3DHS planes.
The one you see flying in the video weighed 48oz with a 3s pack.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Jan 09, 2008, 01:09 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Great video, Malves. The plane flies the way I want to fly (stylewise), oh, and you did a good job too.

How would you compare this plane to the SHP? I know that they are both great airplanes, but what are some of the differences?
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 09, 2008, 03:25 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,236 Posts
Thank you. I wish I had that plane with me right now. I've improved a lot since May, and it would be sweet to have it around.
I really can't compare both planes because I spent 3 months flying the AJ Extra, and I flew the SHP only once (3 times on the big one).
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy300
Hi Guys,

I'm a rank noob when it comes to electric planes (mostly fly turbine jets and helis). I think I have whittled the selection down to one of the EF planes because I like the complete combo setup. Nothing is left to chance. But I don't know which one. Which is the nicest flying, most neutral airframe that still retains decent 3d ability?

Bascially, what I am asking, is what is the ultimate 3S1P plane available?
Hi Jeremy. I have had all three EF planes, still have the Edge and Yak. To answer your question directly, I like the Edge for all-around flying. It is a little heavier than the Extra, but still 3-d's well, and flys precision exceptionally well. And, as Mike Hall says, it looks very scale and presents really nicely in the air. It is not quite as touchy on the controls as the Yak. But, I think you'd like any of them, I sure do.
Hope this helps!
hondaflyer is offline Find More Posts by hondaflyer
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:14 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malves
The one you see flying in the video weighed 48oz with a 3s pack.
In that case I remembered it right. My planes are 38oz with 3s 2200 packs.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
You guys got to remember when an airplane gets bigger a lot of other things get bigger right a long with it. There is more to it then just being 3" bigger.

I can tell you the AJ flies light! The fuse is taller then most planes also.
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:57 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
You guys got to remember when an airplane gets bigger a lot of other things get bigger right a long with it. There is more to it then just being 3" bigger.
Easily forgotten (or never known) that when scaling, mass increases exponentially (percent increase cubed, actually), so 48-53 oz for the Jesky Extra is not a problem from a loading perspective. It does, however, drive the user toward a different power system in most cases.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
I don't want to highjack an Extreme Flight thread by talking about my 3DHS fleet, but that's about all I fly anymore. I do, however, plan to try an Extreme Flight Extra sometime because I've seen one, and it's really, really nice. It's really nice.

I also love my Extreme Flight Torque Motors and Air Boss ESCs. I fly these exclusively on all my 3DHS planes and they run smooth and trouble free. I've also said many times how much I love the sound of the Torque motors on 4s power. The Airboss Elite ESC also allows me to run 4s power without the worry and saves the extra complication of a seperate BEC and the associated rat's nest of unnecessary wiring.

It's not really an either/or thing, but both 3DHS and Extreme Flight make such good products and have such good customer service that they have very loyal customer bases. You won't go wrong at all with any product from either company.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
It's not really an either/or thing, but both 3DHS and Extreme Flight make such good products and have such good customer service that they have very loyal customer bases. You won't go wrong at all with any product from either company.
You are right, Doc. As you know, I am a loyal 3DHS flier. But I am also a loyal Fliton flier. My buddy has an EF Extra, and it is a great flier too. Just like there is room for a 3DHS Katana and Velox, there is also room for an EF Extra and an AJ Extra. They are all a little different, and are all optimized for different moods.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Either way, you can't go wrong with the EF Extra or 3DH SHP / Velox. If I were you, I'd narrow it down to those three. All the other EF/3DH offerings are great, but IMHO, those three shines the best when it comes to a combination of 3D+Precision.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:04 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh

I can tell you the AJ flies light! The fuse is taller then most planes also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
Easily forgotten (or never known) that when scaling, mass increases exponentially (percent increase cubed, actually), so 48-53 oz for the Jesky Extra is not a problem from a loading perspective. It does, however, drive the user toward a different power system in most cases.

Scott
Glad you guys made the point here.